The Old BOC.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Beastmaster, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Beastmaster

Beastmaster New Member

State:
    Chrisman Ill.
    I whent to the old BOC to get into the Library to look up some info from there.It wount let me in.Askes for my password i give it and still nada.

2. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    That might be a good question for the Mods. Send them a T.T.
    Heck I dont know. :)

3. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I had the same problem. I would love to know why also.

Ray

4. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
  5. Beastmaster

Beastmaster New Member

State:
    Chrisman Ill.
    Well it looks like most of the stuff there was lost then.Still wish i could get into the old library.

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I copied all but about 20 posts or so from the old library. I didn't copy any of the replies to posts that were only comments about the subject. They numbered in the hundreds. Very little was actually lost. It's just not organized into subjects like the old board was. But all titles hopefully describe the post contents good enough to tell if that's what you're looking for. If there is a particular post you're looking for or one that you made, please let me know and I'll go back and look through the old posts. As I copied posts I moved them into a different location on the old board so I could stay somewhat organized, there is a possibility I missed something, though I checked several times. Some posts just weren't compatible with this board's picture rules. For instance, there was one post from Cornhusker with Circle hook pics and ID by manufacturer. Each hook was in a seperate pic and there were between 50 and 100 pics. On this board we can only post 6 pics per post. So it would be a very broken up thread at best and would lose it's subject integrity. So as I said, if there is something you would like me to go back and look for. Make a post or send a PM. Thanks.

7. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Are they eventually going to shut down the old board so that the members that go there will have to come here?

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I enjoy this new forum style much better than the old Boc, I was a member of the old boc for years , and hardly ever posted because I did not like the forum software or lay out.

9. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    the new one is ok but i think the old site rules...

egg

10. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    So basicaly Bryan what your saying is that the new board isn't able to handle a section for a libray like the old site an is not as user friendly as the old one.Which makes it harder for us that have little skill computer wise.
    Loop

11. Whistler

State:
    TN
    No Loop, I'm saying that the only difference is the amount of pics that can be posted and that the layout is different. The only difference is that now you have to go to the bottom of the page and click on the next page. You have to scroll through the titles now instead of clicking through 5 threads to get to a single post. On the old board if I wanted to see a rod holder I had to click on "topics", "boc library", "member articles", "home made devices", "rod holders", "boat or bank rod holder" and then finally I could click on the single thread I was looking for...if it was there. Or I could do a search for it. In this one, you click on the sub-topic "Informative member posts", then scroll down the page. If you don't see it on that page, click the next page and repeat until you find it. Or do a search for it. It was a concious decision to set it up this way.

Like anything we do, once we get used to how something is working, change is not welcomed. The old board was great in my opinion too. But from the point of view of how big we were getting, it couldn't handle the traffic or the things planned for the future. If you want to see how much difference there is in page load speeds, get on dial-up or 64K ISDN (Like I have) and click on anything on the old board, then log on here and do the same. Much faster here than the old site. For me, I'm starting to get used to how this board works now and I really think it's gonna be a better board for all of us.

12. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Byran-thanks for all your hard and tedious work setting up the new site
    Cook

13. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Whistler, you sure have been doing a good job for all of us.
    That stuff takes a lot of time to deal with. Thanks for the good work.

14. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Not knocking all the hard work just really confussed alot of the time trying to get to where I'm wanting to go.The old board for me was much easier, but maybe thats just me.
    Loop

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am used to the software this new forum uses, and I find it very user friendly..The old site I could not find my way around at all..I hope you guys get used to it.

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Bryan, no kiddin on the page loading. I spent alot of time just waiting for a page to come up if it even did on the other site.
    Some of us are stuck with dialup without any other options.
    Definately a welcome change to me.

17. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    good grief i would probably have an anxiety attack if i had dial up LOL
    highspeed finally came through our area and i'm too spoiled to go back LOL
    i fel for those that aint got it my broinlaw 7 miles away aint got it and it flips me out that its not available that close to me.

18. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Loop, don't worry there is a big change coming in the library section. It'll make it easy for even me!! LOL Just takes some time to get used to this board. If you think it's hard to figure out, you should see all the changes for us!! LOL Took me a week just to figure out how to move a post. LOL Just keep on trying and it'll get much easier.

19. poppie

poppie New Member

© 2005
    Poppie “CHANGE”

A wise man once said, “Change for the betterment of humanity is progress. Change, simply for the sake of change, serves no useful purpose and is therefore little more than an exercise in futility!” It’s kind of like, why fix it if it ain’t broke? I know some of you put a whole lot of time and effort into “upgrading” the BOC SITE. I appreciate all your effort but WHY? Oh the larger print is nice and it do look right purty and all but I can’t say I like it nearly as much as the old site! Speaking of the old site . . . What’s with keeping it posted?

Seams to me like someone ought to decide which one you want and go with it! Personally, I’d choose the old set up if I had a choice . . . but that’s just me and I know I’m an old FAR% (WHOOPS I PROBABLY CAN’T SAY THAT HERE) Don’t want to upset anyone’s sensitiveness’ . . . do we? I’m an old geezer and like the stasis quo (WHOOPS AGAIN) that’s French and I don’t like the French any more than I like change!

I don’t want to offend those of you who went through all the effort and hard work by making a list of things I don’t like because that would be pointless and besides I will likely be required to accept the NEW BOC and I sure don’t want to say anything I may have to eat later on. Especially since I’m the only one complaining about it OPENLY! BUT . . . It made a great opening to the story I’m about to tell.

Back about the middle of the last century, when I was still a youngun, we lived it this huge, old, stone house. I do mean huge, complete with basement, two floors, an attic, and walls that were almost 2 feet thick. I also mean old, as in a hundred plus years. It was the oldest house in the area and was said to have been a trading post in its early years. My Parents put a lot of sweat, tears, and money into that old house just to get it updated to twentieth century standards. Every change they made had a purpose and a reason, like the indoor pluming and oil heat, for example.

All the changes we made to that old house were necessary and served a purpose, improving our living standards. Once those changes were completed the house remained the same until they sold it. Oh we changed colors, drapes, carpets, etc for esthetic purposes, that’s the politically correct term, for KEEPING MY MOTHER HAPPY!

My Dad was one of the strongest men I’ve ever met, both physically and morally. I watched him lift the front end of a lowered 1951 Ford completely off the ground! IT’S A FACT . . . I KNOW BECAUSE I WAS TRAPPED UNDER THE FORD WHEN HE DID IT! (That’s a story for another time.) I watch him argue with a minister because the minister was using the pulpit to tell people who or what to vote for, instead of preaching the word of God. I also saw him wade into a brawl because 5 or 6 guys were pounding on one guy and that wasn’t right. It didn’t matter that he didn’t even like the guy who was getting his butt beat. It just wasn’t right!

Dad would stop whatever he was doing to put air in a little kid’s bike tire and treat a minor scrape or brush burn with the touch of a skilled surgeon and throw a 200 pound salesman out the door for interrupting his work! Of all the things Dad was SET IT HIS WAYS had to be number 1 and woe to anyone that had the audacity to even attempt altering HIS ROUTINE! Which brings this little story to its unique conclusion?
    As I stated earlier, I grew up in a very old house. Back in the time it was built people didn’t own a whole lot of anything so there was little need of closets. In point of fact there was no need for them (try selling that idea to today’s women). My parent’s bedroom was quite large and they built a closet that ran from one wall across the room to the other wall with a door at either end. The idea had merit because the things that were out of season would get pushed towards the center of the closet and out of the way.

Every creature of habit knows where it is, even with its eyes closed, simply because if nothing ever changes you don’t need to see it to know where everything is. RIGHT? Well over the years my Dad developed the habit of keeping his eyes closed when he went to the potty at night (that way he never really woke up). To get to the bathroom from his bedroom require going through my room, a shot walk up a hallway and there you were. This naturally required that I keep my stuff off the path, no big deal.

One day my Mother decides it’s time to move their bedroom furniture around and give the bedroom a “NEW LOOK” so she did. Well at some ungodly time in the middle of the night, THE SHIP HIT THE SAND . . . BIG TIME! Dad had started on his nightly journey, with his eyes closed, and ended up LOST in the middle of their closet yelling and tearing things off the rack, trying to crash through the wall and scaring the DODO out of all of us! The next day the furniture was returned to its previous place and the potty access route once ago restored.

The changes to the BOC affect me in much the same way as moving the furniture affect my Dad. I feel like I’m lost, stuck in the middle of a dark closet unable to find the door. I’ve been part of the BOC since 02 or 03 and we’ve outgrown several web sites and the move to larger facilities was part of growth, I can accept that without question. I do not like the changing of the whole site because it no longer feels like the BOC that Paul had created and nurtured. TO ME, it feels like someone is trying to take the BOC over while Paul’s away. I doubt that’s case, anyway I hope it’s not. I have notice the absence of posts by many of those who posted regularly for several years replaced by many new faces and names.

Paul’s objective was to be the BEST catfish site on the web . . . NOT THE BIGGEST! Growth (numbers) has nothing to do with Quality! More often than not the opposite is true. Think about it. Does a 2,000 pound pizza taste any better than a 2 pounder or does it just feed more people?

Later, Poppie

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The way I access the board 99 percent of the time is to click on 'new posts'. This new site seems to only show me the last 200 posts, rather than ALL the posts since I last checked. As long as I'm checking every morning and every evening, that's working ok right now, but if I go on an overnight trip, or even longer, I can't find a way to see all the posts that were posted while I was gone. I don't have the time or patience to run through every thread to see if something was posted on it.