The Oklahoma River

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by skeetermagnet, Jul 2, 2008.

1. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Has anybody fished the Oklahoma River downtown in Okc? I've driven by it many times. Even heard reports of thick schools of shad. Anybody had any luck on the river?

2. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Skeeter- I have heard a few reports of cars and striper hybrids being caught but that is it.

Catman

3. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I had heard the same thing about the hybrids, too. Cars?! That is impressive!

Were they Cat-ilacs? :smile2:

4. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

I wouldn't eat anything caught from the Oklahoma/North Canadian river, I've caught cats down around the Harrah area and they weren't worth eating, I won't waste my time fishing that river again. That's my two cents.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Mostly I just like to catch the fish, it don't matter where they come from. I hope you all find some good info on the river. I am sure someone knows all the secrets

6. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Skeeter- Nothing like a typo, but Cat alacs was REAL BAD:smile2:

catman George

7. WhiskerWayne

WhiskerWayne New Member

State:
    Yukon Oklahoma
    I was driving down SW15th today, near the Dell building, and saw a boat launch for the river.

I walked down the launch and along the bank. I saw a few tails flipping here and there, but not a large school of shad on the surface.
    I also saw a channel cat about 18in long floating upside down near the bridge.

I plan to throw a couple lines in one of these evenings after the 4th, see what I can pull out of there.

Does anyone have a depth map or have a rough idea as to how deep the thing is?

8. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    :cool2:about 8-12 ft some holes under and arround the bridges, some big flaties in thouse holes have cought up to 35 lbs. have herd of bigger but have not seen them.be sure u have a city permit . no!!!!!!!! nets 185. oo fine . from meridian- 10th st bridge, lots of sandies , and shad . have to cach them with a hook

9. WhiskerWayne

WhiskerWayne New Member

State:
    Yukon Oklahoma
    Yea, that no net thing is really irritating, seeing as how there is no place to buy live shad. . .

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'd be glad shad are there... they will stray outside the boundaries and can be caught then. Used to be millions of those little devils in Guthrie Lake, then they introduced Saugeye. Guess what... few shad left. Talk about an invasive species. LOL. And it was with the wildlife departments help. I understand guys for the ODW go all the way to Fort Supply lake to catch their personal shad to fish with. I'd trade the saugeye for shad any day.

11. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ok, I just called the ODWC and they indicated that the Okla River is a part of the Close to Home Fishing program therefore it is illegal to net shad in the River.

catman

12. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I met a guy in Bass Pro that said he fished there and caught two 60lb flatheads in one night. He also told me he ate them, which is too bad. Anyhow, he said he would have pics up on the bragging board, but I never did see them, go figure!

13. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Hmmmmm..... two 60lb flatheads out of there? :eek:oooh: Okaaaayyyyy

It's not that I'm skeptical about that, it is just that I don't believe it.:smile2:

14. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Skeeter- HHHHHMMMMMMMMM, what was your first clue????:big_smile: Maybe the guys lips were moving when he said he caught a couple of 60's:roll_eyes:

catman

15. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Your right George. The eating part I believe absolutely, just not the catching part. :wink:

16. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

Here's what I know about the Oklahoma/North Canadian river. Several years ago I noodled out a big flathead that weighed around 40 pounds. This fish wasn't edible he had an off flavor, I'd caught some smaller channels cats during the winter that had the same off flavor just not as bad. It's the bad water taste that you usually get from restaurant catfish but 100 times worse. That's why I no longer fish that river. So IMO if you want to catch fish to throw back it's okay, but if you want good eating fish I'd go somewhere else.
    :big_smile:

17. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Skeeter- I agree with you. Regarding the off taste. It may be due to the fat layer along the dorsal area. If you will fillet your channels and drop the fillets in boiling water that is rolling for 2 minutes and 2 minutes only then pull them out. This short period will release the fat in the meat but not cook it. I have heard this tip from 2 different people. I have tried it and it works like a charm. Just drop in a rolling boil for 2 minutes then pull out and pat dry. Now roll the fillets in whatever you want then fry as usual.:big_smile:

Hope this helps.

catman george

18. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Before the fine politicians in OKC totally revoked the solid NO vote from the people of Oklahoma on renaming the short section of the North Canadian River below NW 10th street all the way to MidWest City, the river was known far and wide for it's lack of fish and it's incredible ability to cough up one or two dead bodies a month.

The politicos rammed the name down the people's throat just a couple of months after the name change was voted down... basically because they already had the signs painted and would have had no place to post them. :smile2:

The newly named river has been dredged, cleaned out and spiffed up to make it look more appealing, but did so at the expense of the people again... the water level has to be maintained for the city's recreation board even if it means drying up Overholser lake and diverting needed water from Hefner.

Y'know what? The fishing ain't half bad for carp, hybrids and an occasional 12" channelcat. I wouldn't eat anything coming out of that water, though.

19. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

If I need to boil my fish before I cook them just to make them edible then thats not good fish. The off flavor is dirty stagnant water flavor directly related to the water they are caught from. It has nothing to do with fat, the red meat or anything else. Pretty much the fish tasted just like the water smelled. I'm not saying the fish from there are gonna kill you if you eat them, but the later in the summer that you catch them the worse they will taste. For me I like good tasting fish, so I fish somewhere else. People can catch and eat fish from wherever they want, these are just my personal views. Good luck
    :big_smile:

20. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I have caught quite a few species below the dam at eastern and I40, usually when the water is running .
    I have eaten the flatheads --channelcats and even blues from there and they are fine...I have caught a mess of sandies or hybrids many times on rooster tails....Plenty of gar and an ocasional saugeye ...catch quite a few bass but they must be released ....

The best bait is them little ghost minnows...or some cut-up channelcat or sun fish...

Most of the cats caught are comming up the river when the water is flowing and i get them a couple hundred yards down river...barely chest deep when it is high