The Ohio River - Where are the 70 pound catfish at?

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by riv56, Mar 27, 2009.

1. riv56

riv56 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I never hear much on here about the ohio river its a great fishery. I fish it all the time, caught some monsters out of there, I think the next state record will be out of there, I have caught many close but no record, question is, am I the only one fishing this great river, if not tell me the secret hot spot where the 70 lber. is lurking.

2. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I think its pretty much you and me Gary that fish from the Beaver River to the Borderline. And there is some monsters there

3. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    i live 100 yards away from it, it's were i fish 90%. i agree the next state flatty is cmon out of the ohio. when are you guys going to start for flats. i checked the water temp at emsworth dam it's 49 so real close? we should try to all meet up some time since were all kinda close....justin:cool2:

4. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    ive fished behind the pen a couple times and i fished down at the back channel of neville dam before but the water was coming out to fast and didnt get anything.

5. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I'd love to fish the Ohio just never got to making the trip. The closest for me would probably 1 1/2 hour trip. Wouldn't have a clue where to start.:sad2:

6. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    so were do yinz fish the ohio, i know ryan u said from the beaver to stateline. but what about you other guys. i do most of my fishing within 3 miles both way of my house. know some good holes from shore and from water. would like to pick some of yinz brains one night, so as soon as the water hits 51 i'm going to start. ....justin:cool2:

7. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i fish the ohio sometimes when its not loaded with boats out there.... i fish the montgomery pool and up the beaver river... where raccoon creek leads in and that warm water discharge is looks like a really good spot to me...

8. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    never fish there nick, but anywhere there is a warm water disharge is a good spot for all fish. hows the beaver been wanting to fish there never had, the wife and i drove up that way yesterday by new brighten was thinking of going to the damn today. anyone fish there, i only went once or twice last year...justin:cool2:

9. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    ive fished it once this year but the river was too high. last year i caught some nice saugers and channel cats up there... in the paper someone caught a 27lb flathead last year and 2 years before that there was a 31lb channel caught on a bass jig:crazy:, theres a really deep pool right under the fallston bridge(the black one closest to the dam) on the new brighton side...just cross the tracks where the opening is and it will lead you right too it...

10. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I have fished the Ohio a few times, I would say try emsworth. Justin do you fish the dam there I have fished that where the creek comes into the water. This spot must get fished alot. The two times I was there I never saw so may empty cans of cannabait worms:angry:. But it made good kinlin for fire. We never caught no big fish there but a few flatheads. Good fishing up the back channel of Neville Island know of some really big fish out of that area.

11. catfish chaser

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    never had alot of luck at the new brighton dam for flatheads but catch alot of channels

12. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    hey mark, i don't rally go there that much cause there is alot of guys that fish there and i really never had to much luck. i do launch my yak from that creek to get to the river and fish right in front of the dam. can get pretty close with out being seen. the back channel is on my list this year, only been there once. i go to a spot couple miles down river from the dam. ..justin:cool2:

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

your not alone on the ohio.I live in bellevue and fish the ohio or the beaver at least 3 days a week if my back lets me. I,ve been up around 40 with several fish last year.IMO I,m 100% sure that the next state record is gonna come from here.Give me a holler if you see me at either river. White dodge van with catfish on both sides.

14. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    hey pat i can't believe i have never seen you or your van i live right up the hill from the dam off of highland. i will keep an eye out for you. let me know the next time you go out im laid off right now so anytime. we can shot the shit...lol:smile2:

15. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    was wondering if anyone fish at dashields dam, was going to give it a try today. and if so where can i park on rt 65 side or the other. ..justin

16. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Welcome to the BOC Pat.

17. catfish chaser

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    There is a way to get there trough the industrial park in leetsdale. Alot of people fish there. Its where the little sewickley goes into the Ohio. But warning about the Dam, they don't let you get close to it. the will send someone to kick you out.

18. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    well just checked the gauges at emsworth dam water is 51-52 degree's. to bad it's going to snow next week and get cold again. i might go out one night this weekend not sure yet will have to watch the weather.....justin:cool2:

19. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

i fish below dashields once in a while. You can get below the dam on either side. To get to it from the rte65 side,you go into the industrial park & go to your left,stay to your left until theres nothing left but trees. You,ll be able to see where theres a path going down the hillside.The path ends down at a nice deep hole.To get there from the other side you have to go over the sewickley bridge-go rt at end of bridge-follow 51 to the rt when it splits into a Y(first light).You,ll come to an intersection where theres a garden center on your rt-turn rt here-keep following until you come to a volunteer fire dept on your left hand side.Turn right after you pass that. There are signs for some small park thats back there.The road that leads back there says govt prop dont enter,but I,ve been back there a lot of times and no one from the locks ever bothers you.Theres usually always at least a 1/2 dozen guys fishing there-theres a lot of room. Most of them fishing there are after walleye or smallies.