The Ohio,A new spot

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Ben Noll, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Ben Noll

Ben Noll New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had never fished in the Ohio untill today.It will not be my last.Hell, I had to give Dillon a break.Action was fast and fun.We actually went after walleyes,saugeyes,etc and maybe a flathead.We got them all plus a nice channel and a big drum.I quit counting the hibred stripped bass at 50.We put 10 nice walleyes on the bank-one was PB for me.It was 29 and 1/4 inches long and tipped the scales at exactly 8 pounds.Darrell,my fishing pard today landed a 10 pound flathead and a 4 pound channel.This flathead was a follow up to his 31 pounder two days ago.I lost a good flathead and Darrell two more.Just guessing,but I'd say mine and one of Darrells was in the 20 pound range(didn't see either fish) and his other one was a hawg that spooled him.We were not fishing with the right stuff for that type of action.The interesting thing is that all 4 runs today,the fish hit small,dead bait right in the middle of the day .I guess it might still be on.We kind of put it on the several of the folks that were fishing right near us.We saw 5 other fish caught in 4 and 1/2 hours while we were hammering ours.They all were usuing live shinners and jigs-our bait-small dead shad.We did not plan it that way-we loaded up a cooler of live shad from Dillon early AM with three bubblers going and every damm one of em died before we got there.Hey,they still did the job-a real good day.We are going back again,but also talking the big sticks with the big bait.Good fishing and be safe.

2. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    great job,,sounds like a good day . if it wasn't for your post here lately i would have already given up for the year,,lol.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds like you had a lot of fun Ben. If it weren't for gas prices I would hit the Ohio once a week! lol What pool were you fishing?:big_smile:

4. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Way to go Ben! looks like a great day fishig on the Big O:big_smile:

5. hankgava

hankgava New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Great job Ben. That was my stomping ground as I grew up in Tiltonsville about 1/2 mile north of pike island. I lived there 46 years and was on the ohio fishing almost daily when I was a kid. I have to go with you one of these days. Super catch Ben!:big_smile:

6. Ben Noll

Ben Noll New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We were fishing at what they called Pike Island-about 5 miles North of Bridgeport,Ohio.First time I was ever there-heading back early next week-I hope.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I usually fish Pike island a couple of times a year from the pier. Didn't make it over this year though. I heard that they were going to shut it down and start building a hydro generator there. Does it look like anything is going on?

8. Ben Noll

Ben Noll New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If any thing was going on I didn't notice.We could not fish from the pier-it was full of folks.That must be a good spot.

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    That sounds like an awesome day of fishing Ben. Good job.

10. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    congrats on all the fish Ben. sounds like an awesome time there. hope you guys get into the one that spooled your friend.