The newbie fishing trip

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Stl-Stitch, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Stl-Stitch

Stl-Stitch New Member

State:
    Saint Charles, MO
    Bill (River-Rat) and I took my friend, Jeff out last night on his third fishing trip of the year. The night started out slow and bait was almost impossible to find, but after two hours we had enough to fish. We set up on several different spots with little to no luck and then wham Jeff started pulling in fish. Jeff’s personal best up until this trip was 18 LBS caught last week while fishing the Winfield Dam. Jeff’s first catch of the night was around 11 LBS and he was like a little school girl as every time his pole would get a hit he would run to the back the boat and I mean run, 6’ with 1 step. The rest of the night was awesome and after a few hours Jeff pulled in a 26 pounder. Rat not wanting to be out done landed a 30 pounder and of course I never came close to them but did bring in a 17 pounder and I did not lose any hooks or require medical attention. We finished the night out with a total of 17 fish between 5 LBS and 30 LBS all caught on “Moon eye” in between 20 to 35 feet of water. More pictures will follow but here is the one of Rat with his 30 pounder with the beautiful Saint Louis City skyline.

Attached Files:

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Stitch........where is the picture of your channel cat??? That's a cool picture that should be displayed bro!

3. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Congrats fellas. I understand the bite took off when I left the water. Was the party still going on at the cobbles when you took out? Sheeze.

4. Stl-Stitch

Stl-Stitch New Member

State:
    Saint Charles, MO
    I forgot to say that we also caught a few nice Channel Cats. Here is a picture of me with one of them around 5 or 6 pounds.

Attached Files:

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Oh yeah......last saturday night we could hardly get the boat out of the water!

6. Stl-Stitch

Stl-Stitch New Member

State:
    Saint Charles, MO
    It's always a party after dark and the music is awesome. I love Saint Louis!!!!

7. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    we had a good one to matt did a 56lb blue and a 26 lb flatty my best was a 22 lb flatty we caught one fish before 930pm but by 2 am we had 17 all together!

Attached Files:

8. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    I like the "bite started late" excuse. It's just too painful to think about the alternative.

Congrats stump. Thanks for your help.

9. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    its not an excuse the lunar chart i use called it 930 to 1130 give or take a few we stayed till 4am i just got out of bed got to get the boat cleaned so we can go mess it back up tonite ,cant stay out to late takein nikki to reelfoot lake in TN this weekened ,and any time greg :wink:

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Hey....I watched you guys boat that 22 pounder! We were anchored right above you guys. I'm assuming after you guys left that hole you headed down to the flats just south of there, we would've stayed later but I had an appointment with the surgeon this morning, it's tough trying to type with this damn cast on my hand / arm!

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Sounds like you guys had a good night over that way. Thanks for the report. Hope ya heal fast rat. I know you won't let it stop you!!

12. Nessie

Nessie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats all on a good night out on the river. Sounds like it was a good night to be out.

13. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    ya we saw you all,figured if we were gonna catch a flattie we werent in a good spot for big blues,but it seems every were we have fished the last two weeks we have been knocking the flatties off also, ive caught more flatties this month than i have in three years combined , dont worry rat i had a full arm cast for nine months with a little file a wood rasp and the all mighty duct tape you will be able to fish ,one point my doctor made when he took mine off was i should have used my good hand to stick in the bait bucket:crazy:

14. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Kyle ,
    What a great trip and I hope your friend is ready to become a catfisherman and thanks for the pic's

15. Stl-Stitch

Stl-Stitch New Member

State:
    Saint Charles, MO
    He is so ready to be a catfisherman that he called and wanted to know what kind of pole to buy. I hope his wife still likes me after this :smile2: because I am sure he will spending less time at home.

16. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    Hey Rat you got a pict of that? They had to cut down half a forest to have enough material for them arms