The new types of Bait casters.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by peewee williams, Dec 12, 2008.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    As many old members know,I used no bait casters in my around 60 years of fishing.Nothing against them,just had no use that I knew of.My saltwater multipliers,open and close faced spinning just covered all of my types of fishing.Now I did not like levelwinds due to their weakness in my opinion.And yea,I think they are better now!

The only real advantage that I could see in the small (all bait casters were small in my fishing world) bait casters were controlling the line twist found in all spinning reels.If you used the large spinner baits for bass,they twisted too.They were just too large to cast most of the spinner baits,jigs and lures that I used very well.I used mostly a 1/32 oz. to seldom a max.1/4 oz.I often cast a test tube cork and a cricket in my shallow spring fishing.I know they would not cast them as the folks using them while fishing with me often tried.

NOW!Do the new smaller,squatty ones that look as if someone heavy stepped on them cast these small baits?

2. russKC

russKC New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY MO
    Ive never really been able to cast anything under an 1/8oz with a baitcaster well enough to fish with it. Then again I havent owned a real high quality small baitcaster either. I have a shimano cosair 300 that I use for bass fishing but when it comes to using small jigs for bream or crappie i just switch to a spinning reel.

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    No, they do slightly better because of the lighter spools, but there is still a point where you are better off sticking to spinners and spincasters.

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I got a Daiwa Megaforce low profile this year and I really like slinging lures with it,,,

but, I usually use a 3/8's weight,,,, when I use a lighter lure, I don't really do to well..

I've got 12# mono on it, so, that is a factor I'm sure..

The lightest lure I have is 1/4 oz, and I can do Ok with them, but , Haven't experimented or tested lighter line/lures, etc..

If I get into a tight area, I seem to go back to my lightweight spinning set-up,,,

Also, I'm prety much a Spaz, so, my input may not mean too much!!!:dribble:

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Oh, forgot to mention,,,,,I put the same line on an Abu Garcia 6500 C3,, and I can cast farther with that, than the sleek, sexy low profile lure launcher....:crazy:

But, the Daiwa has an EXTREMELY fast retrieve at 7.something to:1

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I have a ABU-M5600C/ Morrum and a Gold millionaire CVZ 300 you can fill with 15# floro and tie a wide gap worm hook on and a 1/16oz steel with a 6" plastic worm and get close to 30-40' thats pretty good, I switched them over for cats and put 25# PLine flouroclear on them and they still cast like bullets.

Small but nice..and do the job too!:wink:

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Ok.I am not familiar with what you are talking about.How much does this all total up in weight being cast?Thanks.

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    PeWee..

1/16oz + hook and worm maybe 3/8 to 1/2oz:wink:

9. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I watched my fishing partner throw a crappie jig and cork with a 5600 and could cast it as far as anything else we throw. He uses it for crappie and is spooled with light line but it threw very well in my opinion.