The Neuse River update

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by cat'n around, Jun 13, 2008.

1. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    went lastnight from dark till about 11:30. we focused more around spring garden this time. water temp was ranging from 86 to 88. not much current flow. we tried shallow for most of the night (4-6') with not much action. the last place we tried was somewhere around the 20' range and hadnt been there long and bam pulled in a 17lb flathead. using live bream. im guessing because of the water temp being so high there staying deeper than usual? but anyway thats what we done, just thought id throw it out here.

gonna be goin to elizabeth town next weekend and do some scouting around. look out im comin with rods a blaze'n this time. :smile2:

2. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I would save your gas money and just stay on the neuse. I used to take my boat down to the cape fear and its terrible fishing if you want my opinion. I know some will argue this but I normally catch tons of fish on th neuse and never had many bites on the cape. The fish are still spawning and that's why the bite is slow right now. It took me a while to figure out the neuse enough to catch a lot of fish.

3. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    normaly i would stay around here but with the tourny next month i cant go blind like i did last time i was on the cape. where do you fish at on the nuese?

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    That's just it, it takes time to figure a place out. The Cape Fear has some great fishing, never fished the Neuse so I can't compare but you can't argue the fact that the state record flathead came out of the Cape Fear and there have already been some 80lb blues come out of it this year. I'm sure if you fished the Cape Fear like you do the Neuse you'd be killing them just like ya do on the Neuse. One of these days I'm gonna have to drive up to the Neuse and get a good skunking just so I can say I've been:smile2: How far of a drive is it from Wilmington to the Neuse Jay?

5. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I've been to the cape fear fishing about ten times and the biggest was only about 21lbs. Yeah the state record flat did come out of the cape fear but from my experience you will catch more fish on the neuse. Its about 2 hrs or more from wilmington depending on where on the neuse you want to fish. They are both good rivers but I just cant fish that far away and cant bring myself to fish somewhere that allows shock fishing. It will only be a matter of time when someone tops that flathead record also.

6. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    well when ya fish one river so much its kinda nice to go some where different. dont get me wrong i want to catch fish, but i also like to learn different places to.

7. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    its a nice river down there dont get me wrong and you should be able to catch some nice fish, good luck.

8. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    where do you fish mostly on the nuese jay?

9. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    normally put in at spring garden and go upriver past cowpen.

10. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    thats my usual places too, if ya ever see a boat with blue rods lite up like a floatin space ship its probably me, give me a holler sometime when ya around. 474-5997

11. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I was at the tournament and I saw you there, I run the triton camo boat. I remember you because I think you were the only one who came off of plane and idled by and I appreciate those things. I cant stand when people think they own the river and have no courtesy what so ever.

12. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    yep i remember you now. sweet boat by the way. do unto others............ ya know. i try to be as court. as i can. i hate to be washed a way by wakes. and if ya gonna go by and no slow down id much rather them just go wot. seriously hit me up sometime.

13. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    i'm actually going to sell that boat and buy something different soon. I'll get up with you sometime.

14. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    My friend went fishing last night on the neuse and he caught a 7lb and a 31lb flat. He said the bite was late when the moon started going down. He caught them in structure in the shadows out of the moonlight, both on eels.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Never liked a high moon of any kind when catfishing.
    Full moon, I stay home.:big_smile:

16. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    well fellas we had a pretty good night. put in at cow pen, ran to the therafare, caught some bait. fisrt place we stopped tracy finally caught her first big cat all by herslf!!!! 30lb flathead. iv'e got to be the luckiest man in the world to have a woman like her. but anyway, caught that one about 10:30. moved backtoward cow pen and i put one in the boat, 35lb flathead/11:15. water temp was around 78, to start with it was overcast and dark. then it cleared up and mr. moon came out. fishing was over. gonna try and get some pics up. oh yeah both fish were cpr.

17. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    here they are .

Attached Files:

18. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    one more.......

Attached Files:

19. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    congrats,thats 2 nice fishi,ve got to get up there and try my luck sometimes the n,e,capefear is not treating me right this year. i,ve never fished for cats on the nuese and it,s a pretty far drive for me from surf city but someday i,m going to try it. would love to go with someone that knows the river and could show me what to look for ,

20. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    thanks we have fished hard for the past 3 weeks and not all that good of luck but i think its comin back around now. ive got my number in this thread posted somewhere would be glad to show ya around sometime.