The motor will not go in gear, had to backup a MILE

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by barry, May 25, 2006.

1. barry

barry Member

State:
    WV.
    Went out on the river last night after carb rebuild and new gasket in the lower unit and could not get the motor to go in gear, adjustment did not seem to help.Is there a trick to adjusting it? How critical is the RPM's of the motor I have no tack on this motor and it seems to be running faster than it did before I rebilt the carb?
    the motor is a "72" sea King /Chrysler. I am at a friends house and do not have motor numbers with me, look at my previous posts for that info.
    Going to go back on the river tonight if I can get it fixed
    Thanks Barry

2. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Barry,
    Which gasket did you replace in the lower unit? Did you drain the oil from the lower unit? Did you remove the lower unit? Is it possible if you drained the oil from the lower unit that you accidently removed the pivit pin for the shifter cradle? Or could you have possibly got the shift rod out of adjustment when the lower unit was intalled?

I know the information above applies to a Johnsor or Evinrude but not sure about a Chrysler. So all the above could be of no use what so ever.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Barry,

I am assuming you had the lower unit off. Does the shift rod come up out of the housing and connect to the upper shift rod?

what size engine, how many cylinders?

I just replaced my water pump on my 70hp 1970 and I am having some shifting issues as well.

Attached Files:

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Hey Tony, just because you knowse computers, don't mean you knowse outboards. LOL. Is it your hard drive thats bad. LOL

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    just thought that I might be able to post some diagrams for him if they are same as what I've been looking at all day trying to figure out how to get mine workin right

6. barry

barry Member

State:
    WV.
    Well I found the problem. yes I had the lower unit off and replaced the lower gasket and yes it was out of adjustment , got that back in. the problem was the carb I had to change carbs with a diffrent setup the replacement carb ran at a higher RPM and would not let the transmission shift , reset the carb to a lower RPM and it is shifting fine, RIGHT NOW. Going back out for Flats again tonight!!!!!
    Thanks for all the help, when you can't figure it out help is always near.
    Barry
    PS I will let you know in the AM if it runs OK!

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Well barry I am glad you found that problem. You ain't the first one that has had that problem:big_smile: Now go fish and get back to us.

8. barry

barry Member

State:
    WV.
    The next night it was still a little hard to shift when it got warm I would have to make sure that RPMs were as slow as it would go before it would shift going to try to get them slower.
    Bubbakat: just a by the way I am going to go back to the smaller main jet on the carburetor the big one makes this motor a real fuel pig.

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Did you ever check to see what the carb opening/venturi was between the two carbs.

The one with the larger jet, might have a slightly larger opening for more air intake. It helps keep the fuel/air mixture right with the cubic inch displacement and produced HP.

10. barry

barry Member

State:
    WV.
    I am not sure that the carburetor opening is the same, however the throttle and choke plates were the same diameter. I will check a little closer when I pull the carburetor to change the main jet.