The most unprofessional and unbecoming phone call ever.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by sal_jr, May 1, 2006.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    OK, the back story:

Last friday morning the wife and I left at 2:30 am to go on a weekend road trip to upstate new york, about 20 minutes from Danbury Connecticut. I was planning this for 2 months. I took the time off (one day off only) back in the 1st week of march and chatted about it at work constantly. My cousin who lives out there was graduating from the seminary with a masters in counseling, and as the 1st in his family to get a masters, the WHOLE family was beaming with pride... As a family-centered guy, you know I was NOT gonna miss it no matter how long a drive it took.

SO..... Now the juicy news:

We left for the trip (from central Michigan) and I got the wife and I to somewhere about 50 miles into Pennsylvania when she took over. We drove another 3 hours (pennsylvania is as long a state on I-80 and I-81 as my posts are on the BOC) when we decided to hit a truck stop for lunch.

While eating, my work phone started ringing and as I am a firm believer that "the daylight is for threshing", I snatched it up. Not recognizing the number I answered as though I was on the clock, figuring that I could fix anyone's problems from 400 miles away as I could from my desk. Turns out it was my boss calling from a payphone, though he has two cell phones and a phone set aside for himself in every office.

"Sal, are you in the office?" He asked

"No, Im in a truck stop in Pennsylvania. Remember I told ya yesterday when I went to the company meeting that I'd be gone this weekend?" I replied

"Oh yeah, yeah, that's right! Well hey- I forgot to talk to you yesterday- It all just slipped my mind... " He said. "Well, I wont keep ya long cause I know you're lookin forward to seeing your aunts and uncles and stuff so- Uh... Ya know the promotion you interviewed for? Well, I hope it does not ruin your weekend or vacation or nuthin, but you didnt get it. You wont even get to a second interview. But hey- You go spend some time with the family and we will talk to you some time next week, alright? Drive safe now!"

"Yeah sure... Ill do that. You too, man" I said and hung up.

WHAT KIND OF BOSS WOULD CALL A 5-YEAR EMPLOYEE WITH CONSISTENT HIGH EVALUATIONS ON THE WAY TO HIS FIRST VACATION DAY TAKEN OFF FOR OF THE YEAR WITH BAD NEWS? Moreover, this is the 1st vacation day I've taken since July of last year!

Is this a normal thing to do to employees when they're non-salary? To call off-hours and blast a guy, then wish them the best????? Why not tell me as a man- face to face?

Is this not one of the most unprofessional scenarios ever?

Sometime this week I gotta go to his office. Im wondering how to calculate a response, but Im stuck on the first sentence- That this was the most personally offensive and tactless thing that I've ever witnessed in this job.

Now Im a straightforward guy. Bout as northbound as a compass when it comes to work cause nobody needs pretense when there is work to be done and only a 24 hour day.... So the other stuff going through my head is clouding my judgement. Can anyone offer a further idea on how to point out to a fellow who holds your meager employment in their hand that they have in one instance displayed the diplomacy of a chainsaw and the timliness of a malaignant tumor? Cause Im stuck on the chainsaw/tumor thing.

Oh yeah... and I didnt let it spoil my weekend because aside from well wishes from the boss, I regard my family as the only non-chaos in my world. That wont ever change, no matter what I do with my life.
    Whose got suggestions???

Sal

2. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You have more diplomacy than I do because it would of been heard all over the truck stop if it would of been me, there was absolutely no reason for that phone call. He must of had other reasons to call and when you werent were he wanted you that is what he told ya. Sorry to hear that.

3. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    What can ya do?

Take it up with the boss and you're on the "do not promote" list the rest of your tenure, and / or possibly, on the looking for a job list.

Keep it bottled up and you're headed for a career melt down, since things like this tend to throw dedication and loyalty right out the window.

Only advice I can offer is, get over it now or start looking.

4. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Jeez I was rooting for you. Your boss should of waited till ya got back to work.
    If you like where you work be kind when you see him. If you don't tell him how you feel NICELY. You now are in the "between a rock and a hard place" Think it thru and do what you feel is best. I am still rooting for you!
    Bill

5. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Man Im sorry to hear that your manager behaved that way. I think I would have to go to him on an individual basis and explain why I was unhappy with the way he let me know. There is no excuse for behavior like that however sometimes we only see things from our perspective. It might be wise to see where he was coming from when he told you like that. It's possible he wanted you to know ASAP from him rather then for you to hear it through the grapevine from someone else. If an open discussion like that werent an option I might would consider speaking with someone in HR about the issue.

6. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Sal, about 3 years ago, I had been working for this company as a co-op for a couple of years, along with a couple of other co-ops. One co-op had left about a week after I started. He'd been there for a pretty good while, but had quit about 3 different times and would always stay gone for a while and then come begging back and they'd give him his job back every time. After about 2 years of working there. A full time position came open in my dept. Two people applied for it. Me and him. Guess who got it. He did and he came back to work AGAIN. The kicker was, that my supervisor asked ME to train him on the duties of the job that I really had already been doing. Anyway I bit my tongue, and about 1 year later, they hired me full time. I like my job and it has great retirement and excellent benefits. If I would have gotten mad and jumped the gun, I wouldn't have this job now, which I'm really greatful for, having a family and all. So you have to do decide where you really want to be. I knew where I wanted to be and stuck it out, even though it REALLY ticked me off, and it payed off in the end.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    OK Sal here is what you do.Go to his office and when you walk in don't give him a chance to speak.Address him as you normally do as, "Sir" or whatever you use. "Sir I have a question to ask you.Friday while driving to my family function I received a call from someone that sounded like you telling me I didn't get the promotion.I didn't pay it much mind or let it bother me becasue I thought it was someone here at work playing a joke so I went along with it.The reason I thought it was a joke is because I know you would never be rude enough to call me as an after thought with something that important,which might ruin my weekend. I'm sure you would, as any supervisor would, want to tell me that man to man,not with a long distance telephone call.I just didn't believe it could be you.So Sir was it really you?That way you have been respectful,haven't said anything bad about him that he can hold against you,yet you have said everything that needs to be said.He didn't give a crap about you so don't spare the rod so to speak.Sorry for not getting the promotion Sal but good things come to good people,bear with it.Go fishing thats what I do when life gets to big.:smile2:

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sal you are a better man then myself. Totally unprofessional and very rude of him.

9. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    that's exactly what i would do 100%

10. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Man what a bunch of testicles and horse crap! Very very unprofessional, and if it was truley innocent... very tactless! The way he sounded it made it come off like you were being punished for taking time off!

11. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Yeah, do what Jim said, OR, one better for ya. Think for a moment. He could be having to hire the wife's ugly brother or something. He could be a coward, and not know of any other way to tell you

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    yes Sal I Would Do As Jim Said.that Sounded Like A Well Thought Out Plan. Maybe Just Maybe There Is A Better Promotion Coming Up And He Wanted To See How You Handled This Ordeal. Best Of Luck No Matter How You Deciede To Handle It. Just Don't Bow Down To His Level.

13. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Guys,

Thanks a lot for the replies. I just walked into work this mornin with the worst feeling of dread, and posting my thoughts here or elsewhere is sorta the way I've been hashing them out... as you likely know already.

Everything happens for a reason and I believe this scenario is no exception. If nothing else comes of it, I learned an interesting and lifelong valuable lesson about conducting internal business. Though I believed that the handling of such a sensitive matter all along ought to be face-to-face, not everyone holds the same standard of conduct as I do.

I will do the next neccessary step in my own time, as I choose to... And when the boss and I meet later this week, I will tel him how the actions he chose and the path he followed did not necessarily match the way I would have handled the situation, but note also that I see that such a means of conducting business was not what he was looking for to fill the position he was offering. Perhaps someone else will fit the position better, as I cannot in my conviction as a man do things that way and would likely frustrate or upset the daily work down in his office.

Thanks a lot guys.

Sal

14. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I wouldn't say a darn thing to the boss. Chalk it up to the fact that much of the world is clueless and inconsiderate - why would your boss be any different? Don't let it get to you. You are the better man and the better employee and that will show and come through in the end.

Just go catfishing.

15. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Today Im going to a meeting... and the subject is me.

If you dont see a post after noon today from me, it will be because I am thinking Im gonna be canned.

Ill find a way to get back on if it happens, but it may be a while.

If I do post after noon, then all went well.

Till then Ill be on and off.

16. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Dang Sal that sucks to do that to you like that. Some people are clueless. As for a way of handeling it well there are a lot of different ways and as not knowing your boss and his temermant I cant offer any advise that I could endorse. But I will pass on a simple phrase my mom used to tell me and that is you catch more flys with honey then vinegar. Good luck and I hope you keep your job but if they do fire you well then maybe I would tell him what I thought of the way he informed you on the promotion and do it nicely and then walk out. Makes you the better man to keep a cool head and calm even though inside you may be wanting to tell this guy what you really think and feel.

17. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Theres just about anything now that doesn't amaze me when it comes to work. Makes ya wonder how in the world they got there. More than likely it was just an innocent mistake. Little bit on the thoughtless side but more than likely innocent. Hes probably thinkin about himself as most of us do alot of the times. If i had any advice it would be keep after that position! Just because someone filled it doesn't mean it won't be open again. Let the boss know that your still interested and whatever you do don't give up or say something out of line. Take care of others and your job and it should come round full circle next time. Keep on keepin on bro....

18. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Talk about a roller coaster.

Drove all the way down and upon walking in, I was the LAST ONE to know the meeting was cancelled.

so many questions..... So very many ponderable questions....

either way, my neck is safe another day.