the most powerful fishing u have had?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by madiaz, Dec 3, 2007.

1. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    Greetings,

i wanted to know what the most significant or awe inspiring fishing that the BOC members have had? (Cats or not. :-( ) )

2. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    not sure what you mean. do you mean that day i caught 36 channels? or when i've had 100lb braided line broke off in colorado river? or day dad handed pole back to me and said fish too big for him?
    gary

3. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I think the fish my son has caught over time.Hes been fishing for about 4 yrs now.These memories make it worth while.
    I remember his first fish was a little bluegill.
    The 3 pound bass he caught this summer.
    The 15 pound flathead he caught.

View attachment 33059

CIMG0451.jpg

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    The most powerful fish I ever caught was a gill about 4 inches long, I was about 4-5 years old. All I had was a spool of line, a small hook, splitshot and a worm. That was a whale, and my first fish. I got pictures but there in my head.

5. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I was 5yrs old standing on a ridge over the Tenn River right beside the I-40 bridge in 1971 with Mom and Dad. I was casting an old Mepps minnow with a spinner on a Zebco 202 catching Shad one right after another and my folks were smiling and cheering me on !!! That day will be one of the last pictures that pass through my mind on the day my spirit leaves this earth!!

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Fishing the bank of the missippi when I was a kid....Zebco 202 20lb mono and big carp...Back then I was real light in the breechis and theyd dang near pill me in:wink:

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The three I remember best both happened in the Gulf of Mexico. Back when I was a teenager, I had caught an 80# grouper that gave me a nice fight, but I never felt I was in danger of losing it. Then I hooked something that I just couldn't turn. It made it into a hole in the reef. With a combination of giving slack line, plucking the tight line, and banging the butt of the rod on a tight line, I got the fish out of the hole for about 15'-20', only to have it turn and go right back in. Nothing I could do to stop it, even with the 100# test line I was using. By this time, the captain of the boat has gotten interested. Using the same techniques, I got the fish out again, but again, it turned and powered right back into the hole. While trying to get it out for the third time, the line finally parted.

Years later, after I moved to Florida, my dad, my uncle, and I got into so many amberjack that I finally had to hand off my rod and lay down on the deck. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to hold onto the rod, and it would go flying out after a speeding amberjack.

Then there was the time my dad and I took an 'overnight' trip out into the Gulf (6:00pm Tue to 6:00am Thur). We anchored for the night, and the floodlights on the rear of the boat were all turned on. This attracted a school of squid containing at least 1,345,091 squid. That was definitely a sight to remember. Then I took a live pinfish, hooked it onto my surf spinning rod, and flylined it off the front of the boat, where it was nice and dark. After about 15 minutes something ate it. Never got a look at it. After fighting it for 20-30 minutes, the line broke...or was cut...or was bitten in two.

Getting hung up on a trotline was definitely memorable, but not too awe inspiring.

8. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    the night back in april that i caught 12 flatheads, all over 6 lbs. that was the night i caught my personal best, a 31 lbs flatty. i had caufght a few that night that were in the 15 lbs range, but i had no idea that there were any that big in the spot i was fishing. it was just a little tributary off of the colorado in a pool that was about 30 feet wide and about 8 ft deep. was the best night of fishing i have had so far. the time before this one was when i went to a private lake and caught 40+ bass, all over 2 lbs, the biggest about 11 lbs.

9. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    One night while I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, I was fishing at Del Mar bay and i hooked into a fish that was seriously strong. I never even got a look at it but I was using a salt water rig with some heavy duty line. This fish was strong and smart...it kept pulling me into a rock pile as if it knew how to break my line...after doing this a few times it finally broke off. All in all I would say it took about 10 minutes before I lost it. Never saw it once but it was a really good fight!!!

10. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    hey, I was fishing the Colorado River, up some some rocks and something was on my line. I was literally getting my feet wet, working with it. Fianlly handed it to my husband, after about 15-20 minutes, it snapped, was in some rocks in good current as well. Had no idea what it was...but it was BIG. :eek:oooh:

Hardest fish I ever fought, was a bonnethead(similar to a hammerhead) shark. My arms felt like wet noodles when we finally got that thing in the boat. Mighty fine eating too.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Southern California tuna.

My arms were dead.

12. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I've got to say it would be the King Salmon from Lake Ontario (fresh run). I've only caught one cat which compared. Of course I'm up in the Northeast where 20lbs is a monster cat.

13. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    good stuff,

thank you for sharing .

i got made embarrased once with the house of pain (greater amberjack)

memorial day pan fish fest off the dock 2007 with a handfull of kids will always rank super high.

2006 surf fishing after midnight off the yucatan peninsula with my baby sister is #1 for now. in restrospect the tidal waves coulda probably sucked me in but getting spooled once broke off twice was worth it.

i'm sure when i have my own kids it will be more powerfull than a 900lb.
    tuna. even though my arm and pride still hurt fom the amberjacks. the sharks that stole 2 of em didn't help either though:wink:
    regards, m.a.d.

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've caught many big fish in the 30 and 40 pound range. From large flatheads to big blues and many stripers. But the trip I will never forget was the time I was fishing at the Gallatin Steamplant With a big chunk of skipjack. It was dark already and wet and rainy. At 7:eek:o pm. My 2 friends and I were working on our 2nd six pack when a big striper took off with my bait. He stripped off a bunch of line. I was beginning to think I was not going to get him in.After what seemed like 20 mins. I finally got him to turn and started him coming back my way. After a short while later he was coming in belly up. As he came into the bank, my friend asked me if I needed help. I said no I got him now. As I reached down the 3 foot drop to the waters edge, the hook slapped me in the face 2or 3 times. As I looked with the help of a flashlight, the big fish begin to revive and to roll over and start to swim off. I freaked out. I dove off the bank and landed square on top of the huge striper. I grabbed him in a bear hug and went under water in the swift current with him. He slipped my grip and in one last attempt in desperation I reached out in the darkness and grabbed him in front of his tail. With 1 burst of his tail, he was gone. I came back to the top of the water and in full rain gear and winter time clothing, I made it to the bank. As I lay half in and half out of the water, my friends were dead silent. No one said a word for about 10 minutes. Still unable to figure out what just happened. After about 10 minutes we began to talk about what had just happened. I asked one of them for a dry cigarette and the one said is it just my imagination or was that the biggest fish I've ever seen. I told him it was the biggest fish I ever had on a line. I guess that fish was definetly the biggest striper I have ever seen. Possibly a 60+. But now we will never know. One thing is for sure.... I always carry a net now. We laughed so hard for the next 15 to 20 minutes I could not breathe. That is the truth as hard as it may be to believe. It is the truth!

15. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    the most powerfull fish i have felt is the flathead my biggest was by myself in the boat at night 3-30 hooked a 35 lber then at 5 am hooked a 80 lber wiehged it 30 some hours later on certified scales it was 77 lbs 8 ounces. the funnest flathead i battled was on a bass rod channels moved in and where biting good so i got my bass rod out put a piece of cut shad on and threw it out about 10 minutes i knew i was introuble because i seen the bite happen just a slow pull down and it stoped with a bend in the rod i set the hook and yep line went peeling off back and forth he went i would get him off the bottom and back down he would go finally got him in another guy wieghed him for me 61 lber on a bass rod that was a blast .

16. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Most powerful I've caught is Tuna, offshore Texas. The most fun I've had fishing is Redfish in Louisiana with a guide. Redfishing is sight casting to a specific fish, not blindly tossing a lure and hoping. The way the water explodes with an 8 to 10 lb. Redfish is not for the faint of heart.

17. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Could be a few things like the day I bribed a blonde teenage girl in giving me (9 or 10 yrs old at the time) a real kiss (my 1st) to stop fishing to go get my teenaged neighbor for her instead of walking up the road herself. I still kinda feel bad that all I did was hide in the bushes & told her he wasnt home so I could get back to fishin.

Theres also the time when I was teaching my oldest niece to fish. we were in a boat on a beautiful day. Wind was calm, you could hear the birds and the water lapping against the aluminum john boat. Then out of the blue out crys my niece "uncle scotty make it stop moving!!" as she's trying to put a nightcrawler on her hook.

18. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    The most awe inspiring fish I have caught was a blue fish in new jersey, started to break my fiberglass pole you could hear it breaking and see:crazy: it coming apart.

19. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I was bank fishing the Vermilion here and casted out a 6" mullet on a 6/0 single hook with steel leader and as the fish was falling to the bottom it was hit by something so hard I can only say it felt like I hooked into a train steaming upriver. I ran the edge of the bank and drag screamed off my spool of 25lb. test (I've landed some big fish on 17lb test, and this thing was just eating away my 25!!!) This thing just would NOT turn around and after a while I just couldn't keep up with it and it spooled me....I had just spooled up a few weeks prior to this incident, and I'm still convinced I had a giant gator-gar or bullshark on the line.....
    still waiting to catch a bullshark, as I've caught gafftopsail before (~50miles inland), so it's definately NOT out of the question:wink:

when I told my dad he said it was a log underwater...but when I told him it was going UPRIVER...he didn't say anything after that and just laughed at me

20. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I would have to say the day we were fishing out of Barnegat light in New jersey when we seen a crowd gathering not far from shore and this is what the hoopla was about :wink: It turned out to be around a 10 to 13ft great white in the bay which I had never heard about or seen before. Ive seen a couple offshore while bluefishing but never this close to shore:crazy: Hope ya like the pics I took before the coast guard showed up and chased him back out of the bay. Funny thing is there were people wading in the water not far from the shark trying to take pictures and get a better look at the fish:eek:oooh:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]