The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to let everyone know that I think the most important thing to have with you when flatheading (after big hogs) has got to be.......

A DANG GOOD FISHING PARTNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it is a little sappy for a guy to say, but I value my fishing partner, there to keep you awake, ready with the net when you need it, there to point out your mistakes,and there to talk ideas back and forth with while you wait for fishzilla. Plus all those other little things that two people can do better than one, launching boats, towing ya outta the mud, towing each other out of the mud, there to make a frustrating night seem funny, there to drag you outta the house to go fishing when you get lazy and don't want to leave the A/C!

Anyway, to all those I fish with , thank you for being there, it sure makes fishing seem like more fun and less work! Now sappy comments over, let's go stick a fish!

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
Somethings I will never forget.

The days my sons were born

1st sexual experience

1st car

and the 1st time I needed a net man and didn't have one!!!! boy o boy it sucks losing a 60lb+ flathead cause you can't get him netted alone.

I should have just taken pictures of him in the water before I lost em :(

see ya this weekend buddy!!!!

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
A fishing rod of some sort is the most important...Most times I go fishin' alone anyways,and most of the time I prefer it that way.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know Preston, having someone there to witness a great catch and share the moment, or having someone there to laugh at you when you do something dumb(like step off the boat dock into the boat,tangling your foot in a monster rod holder and take a header into the boat) LOL. generally I don't like people, but thats why I said a GOOD fishing partner, they are hard to come by! When I pulled the head dive into the boat he asked are you okay, and upon affirmative to that laughed his ass off at me, I didn't mind, I would have done the same in his place.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The most important thing to have? No expectations and plenty of patience.

Reactions: Brown Cat Kayak

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
A fishing buddy is of value but when i fish for big cats i wont stay out all day or night with just anybody fellas or gals that are commited are few and far between. Most people have a problem with the wheather darkness, long hours , ect ect. There are only about 4 people i can count on to be focused and commited if those guys arent with me i am fishing alone bottom line. Its harsh but i fish to fish not to babysit, most folks just cant handle a full night on the river.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Amen amen amen Mike. Ive got ONE (1) person that I will fish with for flatheads. I don't care to put up with anyone elses BS. I'm there to fish. If I wanted to relax or cut up, Id stay at home and have a cook out in the back yard. I'd just as soon fish alone 99% of the time. If I want camaradory Id take my son channel cat fishin, or the rest of the youngings bream fishin for bait, otherwise, leave me alone!

I can net my own. Net man or not, I don't bring em to the boat green.

Harsh? Yes...but I can do things my way, stay put when I want, move when I want, and most importantly now that I have 4 youngins......enjoy the silence that so often escapes my life. lol

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
I don't know Preston, having someone there to witness a great catch and share the moment, or having someone there to laugh at you when you do something dumb(like step off the boat dock into the boat,tangling your foot in a monster rod holder and take a header into the boat) LOL. generally I don't like people, but thats why I said a GOOD fishing partner, they are hard to come by! When I pulled the head dive into the boat he asked are you okay, and upon affirmative to that laughed his ass off at me, I didn't mind, I would have done the same in his place.
I don't really care if someone sees me catch a fish or not,I catch fish for me...As far as laughing and playing,I can look at TV to laugh,laughings over rated anyways...I have one friend that can sit through a night of fishing with me,Just because it gets daylight don't mean I'm leavin,biting or not,and he will stay til I leave,no complaints...I like to do things my way,I know what works where I fish,and I don't need anyone in my boat that thinks they can tell me anything about fishing.Been there,done that,and it normally don't work...

·
Registered
307 Posts
This is a good post. I am retired and normally like to fish alone for the reasons stated above. But, last night I had my son in law along and within 5 minutes I got my pb, 22 pound flathead in stiff mississippi current. When I finally got it to the boat and with a little coaching, son in law reached out, grabbed the flathead by the lower lip and brought it in to the boat. Never hesitated, never flinched. I know I would of had a hard fight with the 10 ft. rod in that current to have gotten it in the boat. He was even more excited than I was plus he was there to take pics and share the experiance with me. I think that alone made that fishing trip 10 times more memerable. We did CPR the fish, maybe my grand kids will get him someday.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
I fish by myself as well. I don't need a netman, cause i don't own a net. So, to answer the question, i would say, plenty of your particular bait of choice. For me, that would be 1lb Bluegills and Carp.

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
90% of my fishing is alone.

but most of you have missed the point of this convo by a million miles!!!!

sorry but you guys are speaking like your so high and mighty you have never needed help!!!!

good for you congrats, want a cookie?????

I know the one time I needed a net man I didn't have one, and sorry for all the people posting saying "i can land my own" well sorry you ain't fishing for state record flatheads if you think you can land em alone buddy!!!! the place we fish, you can't let em run, if you don't get the fish in quick its OVER

flathead slayer, your fishing alone just sounds like you hate everybody or just flat out have shitty friends, go laugh at your tv, I'll be out fishing alone or with my buddy...doesn't matter if fishing is the main goal

and since when did threads become bickering posts???

damn you all need to go fish and work on the learning curve...

I learn new stuff everytime i fish and I don't care if a 5 year old is in my boat teaching it to me, im not a bitter old man complaining about everybody that does stuff different than I do....

one thing I'm learing recently is it's not worth posting on here, cause every tom dick and harry will have to compaire what you do to what they do...just read the post and if your gonna leave a comment try to make it a positive one!!!!

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
flathead slayer, your fishing alone just sounds like you hate everybody or just flat out have shitty friends, go laugh at your tv, I'll be out fishing alone or with my buddy...doesn't matter if fishing is the main goal

!!!
I stated my oppinion,you got pissed cause its different than yours,You're the reason I fish alone.Read my original post.I did'nt say anything that was bickering with anyone.I simply said that most of the time I fish alone,and prefer it that way...I go fishing to relax and catch fish,in the peace and quiet...I have friends I fish with,but I also have people that will never fish with me again.Your oppinion don't piss me off,why does mine bother you so much?I never said yall were stupid or anything for going fishing and laughing and playing,I just take mine more serious.I guess when your limited on how much you can go,thats how you gotta roll...Now listen close,THIS IS MY OPPINION.And yes,I'll take anyone fishing with me once,but if we don't click,no more...

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
sorry but you guys are speaking like your so high and mighty you have never needed help!!!!

good for you congrats, want a cookie?????

one thing I'm learing recently is it's not worth posting on here, cause every tom dick and harry will have to compaire what you do to what they do...just read the post and if your gonna leave a comment try to make it a positive one!!!!

That's a little harsh dude!!!

I can't speak for anyone else, but when i caught my 1st Flathead in " 86 ", no one wanted to go with me to the remote desert areas that i fish.To this day, i fish it alone most of the time. I learned without the benefit of magazine articles or Catfish forums. When i caught a large fish, i played it properly, and landed it by hand. That doesn't make me better than the next guy. That's just how i do it. If anyone missed the Convo by a million miles, it was you. A question was asked, and answers were given. It doesn't require an outburst like yours.........Respectfully

·
Registered
324 Posts
Boy did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed.

Most important thing to take w/you, to me is an attitude. I have an attitude that I am going to catch a big fish every time I go out. I am not going out to go fishing. I am going out to catch what I am after.
A partner in the boat is nice if that is what your into. Personaly I dont take anyone w/me 99% of the time. Dont care about sharing stories. Dont really care if I get the fish in the boat or not. Sure I do want to land him but would rather hook and loose the fish than put up w/most people that I know. I have sit up my boat for me. I do things my way. I like it like that.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually guys, there was no question, I was just thinking of how many times when fishing alone things would have been better with a good partner, someone who doesn't piss you off, someone you can depend on to be there when he says he is going, etc. etc. Was more or less saying to appeciate your fishing partner if you have a good one, they don't come along every day, If you look back at the original post , yup , no question was posted. We all fish alone way more than we get to fis with a good partner, if we waited for both people to be free at the same time we wouldn't get much fishing done. Didn't mean to step on anyones toes, heck I can't stand most other people that I meet to fish with, but some of them are okay and some are great,it really doesn't matter, I too have a few people I absolutely refuse to take fishing, mainly cause they can't unglue their cell phone from their head and fish, or want to go home after two hours, one of the reasons we always take seperate vehicles, someone wants to leave it doesn't mean you have to quit too. well enough of that, going fishing all weekend, taking two youngsters and got lots to pack....

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
I stated my oppinion,you got pissed cause its different than yours,You're the reason I fish alone.Read my original post.I did'nt say anything that was bickering with anyone.I simply said that most of the time I fish alone,and prefer it that way...I go fishing to relax and catch fish,in the peace and quiet...I have friends I fish with,but I also have people that will never fish with me again.Your oppinion don't piss me off,why does mine bother you so much?I never said yall were stupid or anything for going fishing and laughing and playing,I just take mine more serious.I guess when your limited on how much you can go,thats how you gotta roll...Now listen close,THIS IS MY OPPINION.And yes,I'll take anyone fishing with me once,but if we don't click,no more...
no bro, I'm not pissed off....thats the difference between typing and talking....people assume to much while typing/reading...if having this convo in person we would be laughing...

I always forget the :) happy faces anymore those really help

you stated your side and i stated mine....if im wrong so are you bro :)

wasn't meaning to be harsh guys, just pisses me off when people miss the point!!! this is a thread about chasing big flathead, not channel chasing with my kids...sometime I don't want anyone around me EVER when im fishing, other time while we are chasing big fish, yes a buddy is better to have around...

I'm not superman and when I need help I will take it, I have landed alot of my own fish on the canal, but sometimes you can't...

we all think we are invinsable at times, but im smarter than that now

Don I'm glad to have a right hand man like you!!!! wouldn't have it any other way

and I hope some of you guys out there find a fishing buddy that you know would jump in the water after a fish for you!!!! a true friend you can count on, who can tell if its a big fish just by the way your fighting it....

again sorry I was being so blunt....

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
If anyone missed the Convo by a million miles, it was you. A question was asked, and answers were given. It doesn't require an outburst like yours.........Respectfully
sorry bro didn't mean to ruffle your panties :)

no question was asked.....Don was stating/posting on an event that happend the other day...

a million miles off i may be but I never saw any ????????????? at the end of don't thread.

sorry for my "outburst"

Paul, go ahead and remove me from site, give my donation status to someone who plays by the rules all the time like a good bitch,

later bro's its been fun

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
no bro, I'm not pissed off....thats the difference between typing and talking....people assume to much while typing/reading...if having this convo in person we would be laughing...

I always forget the :) happy faces anymore those really help

you stated your side and i stated mine....if im wrong so are you bro :)

wasn't meaning to be harsh guys, just pisses me off when people miss the point!!! this is a thread about chasing big flathead, not channel chasing with my kids...sometime I don't want anyone around me EVER when im fishing, other time while we are chasing big fish, yes a buddy is better to have around...

I'm not superman and when I need help I will take it, I have landed alot of my own fish on the canal, but sometimes you can't...

we all think we are invinsable at times, but im smarter than that now

Don I'm glad to have a right hand man like you!!!! wouldn't have it any other way

and I hope some of you guys out there find a fishing buddy that you know would jump in the water after a fish for you!!!! a true friend you can count on, who can tell if its a big fish just by the way your fighting it....

again sorry I was being so blunt....
I'm sure we could fish together,except for one thing.I ain't jumpin' in no water,after no fish,for no body!!!Don't care if its a world record...And I never talk channel cat chasing...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts