The most bait alive in small bait bucket, for longest length of time ?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Montgomery, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i'm asking everyone . how many big blue gill and chubs ect. or mixed bait really . have to kept alive on those long 10 hour trips . and how small of a containter were they kept in . i'm asking cause i had about 70 blue gill in a cooler .not sure of exact size. and 90 percent was dead with in an hour. first time i ever lost fish . i seperated them into a 5 gallon bucket and cooler. and they still kept dieing. lets say you want a 100 gills and chubs for allnight. for you and your buddies. how do you keep them livly all night . in a containter that not to heavy and still managable ???

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mike, You need to invest in some aerators. The small ones they sell at wally world called big bubbles or some such are great for about 2 seasons. I use a Plano 7200 or such bucket,(I don't know the nomenclature). It has a yellow top and holds about 2 gal of water. I drill about 50 or 60 1/2 holes all around the sides and top, leaving the last 4 inches at the bottom intact. With this set up I fill a 5gal bucket with water and insert the plano bucket when I need to move. Either in the truck or boat. When its hot out like now I put 2 of those big bubbles aerators in the bucket and make sure I have at least one fresh 5 gal bucket of water for each plano bucket I have. So I can switch 5 gal buckets after 2 or 3 hrs. (When you keep fish, they give off waste and ammonia), if you don't put them in fresh water the ammonia will kill them. That and a lack of oxygen, in the cooler months I can get away with one aerator. With the holes drilled into the bucket when I get to the river I just hang it over the side of the boat and the water circulates naturaly and no aerator is needed. Plus when you need a bait you just pull the bucket up till the bottom 4 inches is still in the water and the bait stays calm, and you can pick the one you want.

3. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    we useed 2 air blubblers i have one myself . and so did my buddy. how many gills can you keep in that 5 gallon bucket s man ??

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    get a 3-5 gallon bucket with a good tight lid drill alot of holes in the bucket tie a rope to the bucket put your bait in the holey bucket snap the lid on tight and toss it in the body of water your fishing and your bait wont die!:cool2:

5. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I keep my bait in a 120 qt cooler in the basement with a filter and areator. When I tranfer it I use 5 gallon buckets with no more than 15-20 baits with battery areator. While I'm fishing I keep them in Flotroll buckets, the black and yellow ones you tie a rope to and throw in the water.
    Chip

6. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    if I am going out on say a sat night I will catch my gills on friday, put them in a 120 cooler with the water from the river I caught them in and every couple of hours I will add ice. They stay alive from Friday until Sat night. The ones I dont use I just release so I dont know how long they would last that way, I usually only catch and fish with a dozen or so, trying to keep 100 alive might be a little more difficult.

7. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I don't know about gills but I had some goldfish in a 5gal bucket for almost 2 years with no filter and no areator,I just flushed the bucket out with fresh water every 2 weeks or so.I had the goldfish so long I made friends with them and couldn't use them for bait so I spent the money and bought one of them fancy glass fish tanks to put them in then messed up and put some gills in there with them and they all died.:cry:

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i use 5 gallon buckets with mr. bubbles aerators from walmart. they're in the boating section, and they work great. use 2 of them or seperate your bait into 2 buckets. here's the trick. keep icing them down keeping the water cold. they'll go to the bottom and "chill out" and stay there for the length of your trip. never put shad in with them. if you do, they'll definitely be dead in an hour.

9. hunterchet

hunterchet New Member

State:
    WV
    I don't know about trying to keep 100 gills alive. I usually take 2 doz gills and a dozen (sometimes 2 dozen) goldfish in a 5 gallon bucket. I also use an aerator. The bait will usually last the whole night. I think the trick is to keep the water cool. Bluegill dont seem to do well for me when I add ice to the water (maybe the chemicals in tap water), so I freeze a 16 or 20 ounce bottle of water and drop it in the bucket with the bait. Hope this helps.

10. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    2 years. Partial daily waterchanges and they'll live thier whole lifespan!
    Thier waste (ammonia) is converted to nitrite (very poisonos) by Nitrobacter and the Nitrite is converted to Nitrate (not so poisonous) by the Nitrosonomas (which are a type of bacteria that grows in any standing/moving water such as a fishtannk or livewell) and is easily removed by simple partial waterchanges.
    Treat your bait well and they'll treat you well. Afterall if you was a fish would you wanna eat a stinky old half poisoned minnow/chub/gill or a fresh well fed one right next to it? Common sense to me. :wink::cool2:

11. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    I knew there was something odd about you, Jim!!!! The lesson to learn here is, "REAL FISHERMEN DON'T FEEL SORRY FOR THE BAIT!!!!"
    :0a30:

Did the goldfish die, or mysteriously disappear???

12. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Haha, my buddies tell me this at work every day! I'm the kinda guy who feels bad for all the bait - so I tell the guy at the bait store to give me all the dead ones and I'll happily pay full price and then just use cut bait since no flatheads anywhere that I fish.

Funny to see this quote here on the forums too after hearing it at work so often :big_smile::wink::cool2:

13. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I agree with S Man...You need to get some decent aerators and a spare bucket or some fresh water if you want to keep them alive.If your keeping them in a 5 gallon bucket,i wouldnt put more than 20 gills in there because of the waste and amonia build up.

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I use a 45 gallon plastic drum cut down to 25 gallons in the boat. I use water out of the garden hose and add the chlorine remover you get at anywhere that sells pet supplies to make the water livable for the fish. The water out of the hose is cold (so it holds more oxygen) and if I have a mix of shad and bluegill (had 20 or 25 in there for all night trips) I add some ammonia remover you get in the pet supply place as well. The key for shad is to keep the water cold and change it often, as they are the absolute nastiest fish on the face of the earth. Like Psycho said, they'll make the water so nasty it'll kill all the others so you have to change water frequently if you have shad in a bucket. Important things are the aerators to put the oxygen into the water and to keep the water cold so it will hold the oxygen. If you're going to add straight ice instead of frozen water bottles, you should add chlorine remover to neutralize the chlorine from the melted ice. Good Luck!

Branden

15. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi

The reason that they all died is most probable because tank wasn't "cycled" and the "Good bacteria": [Nitrobacter and Nitrosonomas] wasnt present to convert the fishes waste into a less poisonous chemical...(Nitrate)..By you flushing the water in that bucket every once in awhile you were inadvertantly doing partial waterchanges and the bucket (container) had a "cycle" to convert the fishes waste to a more tolerable condition for the said fish and was removed via your waterchanges. Does that make sense? If youd have put the water from your bucket in the new tank you bought, then they might have made it till the tank grew it's own "natural biological filtration system" EG: The good bacteria.
    Those filters you buy at the pet store only mainly do whats called "mechanical filtration" which simply translates to: Removes the solids suspended in the water column. They too will turn into a biological/mechanical filter in time- after the filter itself builds a "cycle".
    Understand?
    I just thought since you have a fishtank now you may be inspired to actually keep fish...succesfully ~I might dare add!!~If you would need any further info PLEASE Don't hesitate to ask me. ok?
    Your bud-Jay

16. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Adding air is a good idea but only if you understand how the air actually gets "inside" the water...It's NOT the bubbles floating around in your tank that does it,~ its what happens at the surface of the water. The water disturbance on the 'topwater' forces the Oxygen to bind to the H2O molecule and aids in helping the fish breath better and also that "good bacteria" I keep talking about needs it to help keep the "cycle" alive. So remember no matter how many of those little airstones you put in there they wont do a thing unless you have alot of topwater action such as all the bubbles breaking the waters surface and maybe a lil water pump too wouls help sustain your livewell a little better. Also even though they're messy still feed them. Sounds rediculos I know but like I say "if you were a fish youd be looking for nutritious food since it's what your living on so would you eat a half poisoned chub/gill/minnow,ect... or a fat healthy gill/chub,ect..?" Just common sense to me being an AVID fishkeeper. Hope this help you out some.
    Your friend
    -Jay
    :wink::big_smile:

17. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    you have the info they are right air water changes big enought tank to hold the amount of bait you have......

18. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i really appreciate it . you all are great i tell ya !