The morel mushroom

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by tspergin, Apr 4, 2007.

1. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Thought I would open up athread on the morel mushroom discussion,hope to see all states reporting in on their finds and recipies for cooking and preserving

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    any locals finding anything

3. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Tony, I love morels, but have never hunted for them. Wouldn't even know where or when to start. I'm in NC I don't even know if they grow here.

4. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    found 89 here in OK on wednesday. I just roll mine in cornmeal with a little salt and pepper and fry them in skillet

5. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    They do grow here Jim. We found the first ones a few days ago near some old apple trees I know of. I find some each year although not in quantity like we did in MI.

Its my understanding from talking to DNR officers that they are actually more plentiful in the mountains.

Barb

6. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Me and my father in law have found over 300 in the last few weeks, And then wham i look out and it's snowing.

7. wormduck

wormduck New Member

State:
    kentucky
    found 130 a week ago in kentucky. my dad make a batter from scratch.ill find out what it is let you know

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I thought this thread was for recipes Tony ?
    Do you make dip bait out of them or what? I heard the channels love them. lol:confused2: :roll_eyes: :tounge_out:

9. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    a great site for information and any other questions you have about morel mushrooms are on a site called

the great morel

10. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I went camping in mill creek park (clark county illinois) last weekend. some guy came out of the woods with a decent size bag of smaller black ones. i had plans on going out this weekend. but, now i sit here looking through a frosted window again. this crazy weather.....

11. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i found a few this weeek before it got cold on us had 2weeks of 70 to 80 deg. days now it droped to the 50 to 60 an 20 to 30 at night its going to kill them for a while but hope they will be back up

12. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Was out monday of last week, nothing yet, be a few more weeks now it isn't supposed to get above freezing until next week. We need some rain and a few warm days to bring them up.

13. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    If my mushroom partner see's this im dead meat !!!!!!!! we did our anual 5/2 hunt and scored big time our best 1 day hunt ever 87lbs. in about 6 hours the average price around here is 8-15 a lb. we always say we should sell them but if kept properly you can enjoy them all year round.... egg wash dip in breadcrumbs and parmasion cheese cooked in butter yummmmmmmmm ...