The more I learn

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jerseycat9, Aug 30, 2006.

1. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    It seems like the more I learn about catfish lately the less Im catchin. Do ya guys think Im over anylizing things and should I get back to the basics or what. Also am I the only one havin this problem :roll_eyes:

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm having the same trouble, I think the more I learn the more they fear me and run from me. :lol:

3. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    You may experiencing a problem of not using what YOU know and trying to use what others do. What works for you, use. You can gain so much info it only fills your head and makes you weary. To much study (knowledge) can make the body weary. Been there!!

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    What major changes have ya started usein that aren't workin? If its somethin like bait presentation don't do it with all the rods ya are usein. I like to change things up every now and again but if it ain't workin I'll go back to what I know does.

5. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    My problem is mainly location I think. Im fishin the "spots" on rivers that are supposed to be the areas of best success and Im falling flat every time.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Zakk has the answer!! FEAR IN THE FISH!!

The trick is not knowing everything, but knowing when to apply what you know.

It is true, I watch bass fishing shows. Ok, I said it. One of my favorites is called "A Day on a Lake". They take a pro angler to a new lake they have never fished and follow them as they work to figure out how to catch fish on that lake. It is a good way to see the thought process of analyzing water and to see how they are willing to change things 180 degrees in a moment to spark a bite.

I try to do the same thing when looking for cats. Like bass fishing, there are some basic scenarios that work for catfish no matter where you are fishing and you have to be able to find the various elements that work you in your situation. Of course some days are better than others, and having a boat provides definate advantages over being confined to shore.

7. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    ......hard to imagine knowledge is a bad thing when it comes to doin anything. :smile2:
    I guess it would be possible to over-analyze some stuff.

I mostly try to keep it simple. Fish have to eat at some point. They only have so many choices on their menu on any given time. Find them, find what they are eatin and try to match the menu..not too hard.

good luck
    rc

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Terry, It doesn't matter how much you know if the fish aren't bitting, but then when that happens you've learned something new to apply.lol :big_smile:

9. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I always change up when I'm not catching. One time after fishing for 3 hours and catching small channels and baby flats about 20 feet off the bank I reeled in my lines to about 8 feet off the bank.. then bam bam bam hook-ups so fast sometimes we would have 2 fish on each line (useing my duel drop carolina rigs) on 4 poles not one channel wieghed in at less than 4 pounds for a solid hour..then all of a sudden they stopped and with sore arms we went home to clean them. 30 Cats in an hour plus a few drum and 2 gator gar!!

This place has surely helped me alot I would rep every member here if I could. I never changed from my basics that I know worked..I just improved on them, a float to keep the bait a few inchs off the bottom, a circle hook here, a Cured liver here, better knot, bigger wieght in current. Lol, sounds like alot but in reality they where just subtle changes that made a world of difference in my fish catching ability.

Bait catching in itself has saved me a few hundred dollars since I bought a cast net and learned to throw it correctly from the library's articles. now I can afford new tougher rods because I am not spending 20 dollars a week on live minnows.

Honestly I could go on and on, as most people here could I bet ...luckily for you I won't 8+)

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    My grand maw all ways told me son never forget your raseing :tounge_out:

11. ayokay005

ayokay005 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Well, my advice would be:
    Knowledge is always good to obtain! Be honest with yourself and use your gut feeling! Sorry about the dry spell !

12. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive gone thru this alot, Ill read a magazine about how to catch fish on the miss., cumberland rivers ect. However it dont always work on the Ohio. So Ill have to go back to what i know. But always be willing to try I know some things work & some dont. Youve got to learn to adapt & convert the info you receive.

13. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    The more I learn the more I realize how little I know.

14. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Jerseycat9. I have run into the same thing before. I ended up going back to the basics and it helped me. I like to learn so much, but I sometimes forget that what I am learning may only be pertinant to a certain body of water. I do a lot of flathead fishing and for a while I was trying all of these methods I learned from mags and TV and stopped catching fish. I thought about it for a while after being skunked and went back to the old ways and started catching fish again. I think doing new things is great and valuable, but there are some times or some bodies of water that you just cant mix it up if you want consistent success. Just my thoughts.... Tight Lines and Screamin Clickers to ya!!