The moon

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by phatkat, Sep 4, 2006.

1. phatkat

phatkat New Member

State:
    central indiana
    I went fishing at glen flint and was doing good untill the moon got up and very brite. Any ideas where the cats go when the moon is high and brite.

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Mike its been my personal observation that during a full moon the cats don't seem to be feeding. I avoid fishing at night for just that reason. I really don't know if this holds true for everyone. You might try looking in the library, for a reference or do a little research on the web.

3. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I don't have an answer as to why they don't bite...But I've noticed it too

4. CamFish3210

CamFish3210 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ive heard about some animals (in general) that hide at night due to the moon casting a large shadow that makes the animal feel a predator is close....maybe applies to catfishing, not too sure though

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I read a study on cats and they had one in a lab tank. With the ceiling lights on a lab tech leaned over the tank and the cat made a bee line back to his shelter. They then cut out a shape of a bird out of card baord and put it on top of the tank and left the lights on. The cat would not come out even to eat! they shut the lights out 2 days later and the cat came out. So my guess is that when it is bright out they feel like prey.
    Bill

6. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    This subject will go on forever. My only question is this: If a fish is in murky water and down 15' how in the world can he see any shadow ?? Besides, a catfish relies more on smell than sight.

7. bank bouncer

bank bouncer New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    :lol: I think if you would drift or slow troll the deeper points and channels when the moon is brite would increase your bites. I've been telling you this for years, but we are both stuck in our ole ways.

8. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I think they just turn off.

9. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    according to the IFGA, most world record fish come within 3 days prior and 3 days after a full or new moon. so full moon and new moon is the best.

10. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    I Live On The Tippecanoe River, And I Fish All The Time By Boat. I Have Noticed That The Bite Will Slow Down When There Is A Full Moon. But Only When It Gets High And Really Bright. I Would Still Catch Fish Just Not As Many. Then This Year The Light Bulb Went On. If They Are Bothered By The Light For Whatever Reason Why Not Find A Spot That The Moon Does Not Shine. For Example Get Under The Trees, Find A High Bank That Blocks The Moon. Now I Know Not Everyone Has A Boat And The Flexibilty To Move Away From The Moon, But It Does Work. I Have Caught Some Great Fish In Areas That The Moon Is Not Shinning. Proved My Buddy Wrong This Summer. Try It Next Time You Fish, You Won't Be Disappointed!!!