The Monster That Got Away

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catfishrollo, Dec 21, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I usually don't like to talk about lost fish, for the reason that you never really know what you lost without seeing it.. However, anyone that pursues flatheads is gonna have the occasion where it seems like you have the fish of a lifetime on, and then the gut wrenching things happen!! So, to keep us all interested until the warm water days come again.. tell your story about the flat you had, and what happened in detail as you remember it... im sure this is gonna be interesting..lol..i will chime my story in here later....rollo

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Good thread Rollo. I've got a few but I have to get them down first. Their true also. Give me time to get my thoughts organized and i'll share a story or 2.:big_smile: My mind/brain isn't functioning too good today as it is...

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Can't say if it was a flat of blue, but was fishing off of the catwalk at tva on the back side. And my line settled, as it likes to move around out there, when the line went real slack on me more than just the weight moving and that usualy means a fish has it. So I start reeling till I feel pressure and set the hook, feels like a good fish but this ones seems smart he starts coming straight for the wall and when I finaly get the reel caught up to him that is when I can realy feel a big fish, but only momentarily as he got off, didn't break the line just didn't have him hooked good enough, might of been my personal best, but that is still at 36 lbs.:eek:oooh:

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    this seemed to get lost the other day, so im bumping it to get it going again.. great stories so far...rollo

5. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I have 2 of these that happened within a couple of days of each other, this August. The summer/fall fishoff got started & I had a couple of places where I knew there were some real HOG flatheads hanging out. I went to the first place but had some difficulty catching bait that night. I did manage to snatch a 8-10" carp in my net that night so I put him underneath one of Gene's monster katbobbers & let him do his thing. I noticed that bobber really start dancing after a while & then whamo! Something nailed that big carp. I grabbed that rod & set the hook hard, and felt a fish for just long enough for him to thrash the surface for about 3 seconds. Gone. Bummer.

A few days later, I was at a different spot & I was using 4" long shad. I was getting kinda bored & looking only for bigguns anyway, so I started putting 6 shad on each hook, hooked through the eyes. I had a good take-down & started fighting a good fish. At first I thought I was hung up, but the sucker started taking line. I remember telling the guy I was fishing with "Either I"m hung up, or I'm hooked into the biggest catfish I've ever had a hook in" & I was.... I fought that fish for about 10 minutes, and when I got him about 10-15 feet from the bank, the hook just popped out & he was gone. Poof, vanished like a fart in the wind. Gone like a snicker bar at fat camp. :angry: I was using a 9' heavy action rod & a 7000 spooled with 30 lb big game line. I was REALLY leaning on that fish, and he was just bobbing that rod with those slow head shakes, you know.... the ones that only a giant fish makes. Darnit. Wish I could've at least seen that fish. At least I know where he lives.

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Well, I had it happen to me twice this year. The first time I was fishing in a very good spot and had a few large baits out and one out with a small piece of cutbait on it. Well the rod starts to go down and as soon as I grab it and pull back that fish takes about half the line off my reel. I fought it for probably 10 minutes and it was definitely the largest/strongest fish I've ever had on the end of a line. I thought I had him whooped but when he got close to the boat he got under something. I let him have some line and he came out of it but as soon as he did it took off and popped the line where it had been rubbing on the stump or whatever it was. I was mad for days. My girlfriend hooked one on night in the same spot that almost pulled the rod holder out of the boat and then when she grabbed the rod it almost pulled here off the boat:crazy:. She only fought it for a few seconds before it got in something and hung her up. That's the bad thing about fishing the lake I fish, there isn't one square foot of bottom that doesn't have a snag. It makes it really hard to land big fish. Oh well, such is fishin'.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ok, i have a few myself over the years, actually quite a few that have released themselves.lol. but, there are three of them that i will never forget in my lifetime.. the first one took place around 9 or 10 years ago.. i was bankfishing in a tournament one night fishing a known area for big fish. i had my boss with me as a partner that night.. choice of bait was big gills, and 8-15 inch carp.. i remember my boss laughing at me when i baited up one of these big carp and threw it just a few yrds. back towards a step cut in the bank. we sat there until an hour or so after dark when in the darkness the first few clicks started on that pole. i walked over to it as it slowly but steadily ran along that cutbank away from us. i picked the pole up and locked it in, setting into this fish i never got the rod tip above my waist. the fish like a train stayed on bottom and just swam away with my 40lb. berkely big game line. drag pealing and never slowing or turning the fish, i tried to tighten the drag some more.... neadless to say that fish put a nice bruise in my side on the hookset and swam far off into a snag of some sort breaking me off easily.. another one i will never forget was also on a tournament night fishing from my boat a couple years back... this fish took a big creek chub, and drug the boat with two anchors out into the river channel... i had the fish nearly straight under me unable to move him, he drug us around literally, until breaking me off in a sunken log of some sort....But... you all are gonna enjoy this one!!! this takes the cream of the crop!!!! and it wasn't on my pole, the biggest fish i have seen in all my 20 years of flathead fishing happened in my early days fishing with my dad and a guy that got me started... he hooked into a flat one night fishing a large hole with not alot of timber or snags i must add, on a surf rod with a 6500 shimano baitrunner, spooled with 40 or 50lb. big game.....this fish would swim, stop and lay there... he would gain a few yrds. and then the fish all of a sudden would get pissed and take 8 or more yrds. right now!! this went on for a timed 52 minutes, before swimming away to no mans land!!. i had the opprtunity to hold the rod, and my dad also in this period also.. in all my years fishing and the fish i have caught... i can honestly say, and swear to God, i have never felt a fish of that magnitude...Now, i bet alot of you may not believe this, but, im not telling stories here... and if this ruins my credibility then fine...but i only can hope that in my lifetime i can experience a fish like that again... that was probably one of the experiences at a young age that got me hooked on these flatheads for a lifetime....goodluck, and happy holidays...rollo

8. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I havn't even hooked a decent "one that got away" lately. Keep those cards and letters comin'.

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Rollo, your credibility is safe with us LOL. We know there are big ones in this river. Hell they catch 2 or 3 70 pounders every year somewhere along the river. If a 123 pound fish can live in kansas why not in OHIO?

I know you've been doing this for what 20 years or more. The three stories you just told is exactly the reason I try to use the biggest test line, quality rods, and reels, top of the line hooks...etc that I can. In all those years of catching fish, I bet you anything that you would trade them all just to see how big those 3 were. Tell me if I'm wrong lol.
    You have to be prepared when that once in a lifetime fish is eating your bait. In 20 years he has had 3 encounters with fish he couldn't stop. Thats 3 more than me, and probably 3 more than most of will get close too. If you hook a fish like this it will tear up any weak points in your equipment. Frayed leaders, poorly tied knots, cheap rods, bargain hooks, undersized reels ...etc. I'm just telling you new guys, would you rather use lowgrade equipment and lose a fish, or have the best that you can afford and actually get to fight one for awhile (and appreciate) before it either broke off or you caught it? If its something you can control why leave it up to chance?

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I lost a big flattie one night while fishing off the skimmer wall at the Gallatin Steamplant. The fish hit a big bluegil or live shiner, I dont remember for sure. Yeah thats what happens when you start to get older. Your mind is the first thing to go. Thats why I take pictures...LOL. Anyway the fish hooked up and went back out under the wall and into the river channel. I couldn't stop him. After a while I tried to bring him back, broke my line. Felt like a good one.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i think in nearly every situation of big fish i have landed a certain amount of luck has to work in your favor. i agree with you skip. your equipment can't be junk, drags have to be set for the line and action of the rod even. and your tackle has to be in the best order.. knots have to be newly tied, line in great shape, even inspect the eyes on the rod to make sure there isn't any chips or gashes that could possibly fray your line during the fight. before every trip, i cut 5-10ft. of the line off the spool and feel another 5-10ft. to make sure it is in good condition, then i retie, inspecting hooks, swivels etc.. skip you are right you have to be ready for when the situation presents itself.. it may be a long time before you have one of these brutes on the end of your line...but, even preparedness sometimes isn't enough..lol...sometimes they just swim off!!!! lmao!!! goodluck rollo

12. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    It certainly does have a little luck involved when you land a big one. You have to. If you're fishing the right areas they are filled with snags and it really helps when the fish makes a mistake and doesn't go right into them:big_smile: Like you said though you have to be prepared for them at any time b/c they can hit you at any time on any rod and on any bait(well, almost).

13. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    they used to let us use remote control boats to drop our bait behind truman dam.one day i had caught a 50lb+ blue, and had set my bait out again when a fish hit ran drag off until it reached the dam, and then proceeded to swim down the face of the dam.i could not turn this fish off of the dam wall ,i watched as he pulled my one gallon clorox jug bobber all the way across the dam and disappeared behind the wing wall he never came out again.keep in mind i had just landed a fifty pound fish in less than ten minutes.i was using a 10ft surf rod with a penn ocean city reel with 40lb line.

14. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    keep the stories comeing . I love to hear other peoples ,they sound a lot like the luck I have most of the time.

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Thanks Jeff, Even though he broke off, you learned things for the next time you hook one like that. I can't say I have hooked a state record, the fish I have hooked and broke off were all under dams when I was on the bank and they had the upper hand, as to where they could go and break me off. I played one for an hour once, but I can't say he was over 30lbs, he just got under the ledge, and from that angle I couldn't get him out. We see-sawed back an forth til my line broke. But from that experience I learned to get them out of there before they can nestle under that ledge. Fishing under dams is the best place to hook a giant, and is also the easiest place for them to break you. Be it current, rocks, or logs, or ledges. But you'll never hook one unless you cast into their lair.

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i hooked another big one, now i think about it skip.. under your honey hole dam. you know where!!.. didn't have him long but he was a goodie!!! lol...rollo

17. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I was fishing a current break in 26 ft of water.. I had a 6 to 8 inch shad with his tail cut off on with 50 lb mono and my penn 220 gto. (love that reel). I had just bought the reel and was still getting used to it.. My biggest is a 44 lb flattie.. My clicker started going off slow and after about 30 seconds it started ripping off line.. I flipped the lever and locked in the reel and when the pole loaded up I picked it up and watched 1/2 my line strip off the reel, then it slowed down and I started cranking.. The fish gave a little ground and then took it back off and on for it seemed like an hour, probably closer to 20 minutes.. I thought he was tiring out because I was starting to gain ground fast.. Remember the new Reels that I wasn't used to the power.. I got him about 10 ft from the boat and he topped the water and rolled.. That was the last I seen of him.. I told the youngest boy it was his fault that I lost him cause he didn't get the net ready fast enough.. He told me that the only way he was going to net that fish was if he could walk on water... hehehe.. If I was used to the reels I would have brought him in slower and gave him more time to tire out.. All I got to see was his head.. I won't even guess how big he was, but he would of been my PB for years to come..

18. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I hooked into a flat this year that I could not do anything with I had him on the line for an hour and a half. I caught a 50 pound flathead this year and some others very close but none come close to this fish. It was the fish of a lifetime. I only usually fish for big cats I would vether fish all night and catch one big cat then a bunch of smaller ones and if you have ever fished with me you know it to be true. I have a witness about the cat I hooked this year we chased that fish all over the river I was using a very large live carp more screwing around but still hopeing to catch something, that cat hit that bait as soon as it hit the bottom and ripped off about 70 yards of line I was using 50 pound line and still couldnt get him in. My pole was bent all the way over and it was making a cracking sound if I muscled it to much. Normaly you will tire out a big cat after a while this fish was still ripping line off after an hour up stream. People always talk about the one that got away but with the big river systems there are cats over 200 pounds in there and alot of people just dont have the equipment to pull them in. i thought I had the equipment but i guess i didnt. i catch big fish on small line but in the river I like using bigger line to be able to keep them out of snags and off the bottom but this beast wasnt having any of it. For a fish to put up fight like this one did, he had to be over the 100 pound range. He ended up getting snagged on something on one of his runs I think a submerged trot line or something and ended up getting off. But i will fish in that spot for the rest of my life with a hope of hooking him again.

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i love hearing the stories about hooking into one that you can't do anything with.. anyone who has ever had this happen will honestly tell you that! you simply sometimes can't get them to do anything in your favor. its only a matter of time before it is usually over with. lol..so just hang on and enjoy the drag stripping fun!!!:smile2: rollo

20. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I watched my little brother on the bow of my boat ,on his knees pole bent to the piont of breaking both anchors up boat moving up twared the spillways befor snap pole broke in half,we moved aproxximatly 25-30 ft in strong current,no matter what wed done it was a loosing battle but In our hearts we know it was big...and its presence was known.... we still have this sic feeling when we get to talking bout that afternoon.Another time I was on what we call the wall and my pole was literaley bout yanked out of my hands,I come close to being pulled off....Scared the poo out of me and I needed a diaper change ....Oh yes we all have a couple "o" them times that make stories that we can only wander and I am still chasing whatever they were:wink: I think!