The Mighty Wisconsin River

Discussion in 'WISCONSIN RIVER TALK' started by amjfedex, Aug 5, 2007.

1. amjfedex

amjfedex New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I am somewhat new to catfishing but I have been fishing at lot on the wisconsin river around stevens point and Mosinee. I have mastered cathing those little channel cats with minnows and night crawlers but I have yet to figure out how to get those big bruisers. Do anyone else have knowledge of this area?

2. hooked_on_catfish

hooked_on_catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I heard that the flathead populations has picked up around the mosinee dam. I myself am new to catfishing the big boys and have never fished the mosinee myself however there are reports of fish being pulled out in the 20# range often.

Really the only advice I can give you is tinker around until you can locate some holes and drop offs. Live bait is a must for the flats and you can either catch your own...Bullheads if avaliable are a good choice as they are easy to keep alive and are probably the main food source for flats as they are abundant in the wisconsin river. Other than that for a night of fishing pick up about a dozen 6-9inch suckers.

The rig you will need is a 1oz slip sinker on the main line then tie on a barrel swivel (heavy duty) then tie on a 12-18 inch leader, then tie on your hook (5/0 to 8/0 heavy duty stainless steel) Hook the sucker through the upper lip just enough to ensure the sucker will not get away.

If you use caught bullheads, hook the same way but cut off the top barb at the base. This does not cause the fish to die but leaves a good blood trail for the flats to lock onto.

Best advice would be to get a good amount of sleep then head out at a half hour before dust and fish until first light. You will be able to cover any peak bite times that way and you will be able to narrow down a good time for your next trip without spending all night out there next time.

By the way, I am in the wausau area and am planing on a trip to the mosinee. I have a boat, it aint much but if you would like to get in touch with me maybe we could plan a trip....

Peace and good luck !!!

3. amjfedex

amjfedex New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I have yet to catch any flatheads. Strictly channels. My biggest was around 25-27" i dont know the weight but 17" to 20" are very common down where I typicaly fish in Stevens Point. I have fished under the dam right in town mosinee a few times but mostly for smallmouth bass. I am asuming you are talking about the intown dam and not the dubay dam further south.

4. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Pssssstt Jim , stainless steel hooks are illegal . You can buy lotsa plated nickel , tin etc. that work well .:oops:

5. hooked_on_catfish

hooked_on_catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Sorry, I often say stainless steel when I am refering to larger gauge shank hooks. Thanks for the correction....Dont want anyone getting in trouble for somthing that I told them to use.

Speaking of good hooks, I found these to work great....They are cheap, $2.xx for 10 hooks and really hold their own. I pulled the 35lber in my avitar pic on these without a sign of strain on the hook what so ever !!!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/purchase/products-found.jsp?_requestid=112277

6. dkhonda

dkhonda New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I would love to get out on the Wisconsin river for some flats. Does anyone know any other spots besides Mosinee? How is the water anyway, lots of rocks and shallows to watch out for?