The Mighty Mississippi river

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Cutshad, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    I have got to tell the story of my fishing adventure to the Mississippi River. You guys know I have been gathering a bunch of information about fishing the rivers around Oklahoma. Mainly the Arkansas Nav. system and some of the larger ones in Oklahoma. Well, I was worried about getting on a river with my boat. Not anymore!

On January 13, 2006, I started to Tunica, Mississippi, with an invitation to fish with Coach, Tin and Mac. I left around 0730 and headed east. Made it to the Navigation Channel and looked out across its great expanse and I got butterflies! I was thinking to myself I would be fishing a big river like that. So, I continued east into the great state of Arkansas. I was cruising along at 78 miles per hour and started going down a hill. There he was! Arkansas State Police sitting in the median. I thought about slowing down, but it was too late, so I continued on. He came out onto the highway and I pulled over. Got me a fine ticket. Not for speeding, but a seatbelt violation! I deserved it. Besides, this was a big trip and a little ol'ticket wasn't going to dampen my thoughts. Trooper was nice about it too, smiled and thanked me for visiting Arkansas! I kinda chuckled when we parted, because I have done the same thing in Oklahoma!

Anyway, I continued east, looking forward to the Mississippi River. A few hours later, I was there! We don't have rivers in Oklahoma ! We have drainage canals! I almost fell over when I saw that river. I've seen it before but I never looked at it. It's huge! Well them butterflies in my stomach were about the size of ostriches now. I continued on to Mhoon Landing.

I drove straight to Mhoon Landing park. Coach and Tin gave great directions. When I arrived, Tin was the only one there. He was sitting in his truck and looking at me with great suspiscion. I introduced myself and we hit it off. The wind was blowing at 800 miles per hour out of the west. I started putting up my tent and Tin held a side for me. The fiberglass poles had a load on them and sure enough, one snapped. I think Tin did it on purpose just to see how I would react. He was chucklin and lookin around like "what was that". I got it up finally and Coach and Mac arrived. What a crew! We started talking about the river and how deep it was and the current and how many fish they catch and how big they are and all kinds of stuff. We had a camp fire and things were going good when Charles arrived. He is one big dude! He walked around and checked me out from the shadows then sat down around the fire. I could tell he was checkin me out to see how I would react. Everything went good. Then it was time for bed. I did not sleep a wink. Partly because I was excited about the fishing trip in the morning and partly because it was 40 degrees below zero after Coach told me it would be in the fifties!

Well I got through the night and woke up first. Started poking around and got a little fire going to warm up with. The rest of them got up a few hours later, old hat to them you know. The first thing everybody had to make fun of my fishing pole. I brought a 12 foot casting rod I use behind dams. All the other guys showed up and had to comment about the Okie rod. It was funny. How was I suppose to know? Somebody (Coach) told me to bring it! Well we went to the boat ramp and got ready to launch. Tin scared me to death with a little incident, he can tell you more about that. Needless to say, I was as nervous as a cat in a room full of rockin chairs when I got into the boat. That river looks like it just slowly moves along....WRONG! That puppy is movin! Swirlin, gurglin, foamin, and pushing trees down the river 100 foot long. Coach pulled up to some rock pile and we started fishing. I even baited my 12 footer and put it out. Wasn't long and the 12 footer was bouncin. There I was, my first Mississippi Blue cat! After a short tussle, It came up, it was huge and long. My first fish was a ........SPOONBILL! Coach laughed, said to get that discusting thing out of his boat and accused me of bringing a snagging rod to Mississippi! He had to call Tin and Mac and tell them about the spoonbill. He even called Matt. I guess he got a good chuckle. I asked him to take a picture for me and he did it with a disgusted look on his face. We caught a couple small bluecats and put them on a stringer. This caused Coach another chuckle. I learned anything under 30 or 40 punds is referred to as a "Turd Hustler". Hell, I was proud of our catch. Then, I put the stringer in the water and it slid into the river. Coach tried to tell me the stringer knot was slipping, but he didn't react too fast. I think he wanted the turd hustlers out of his boat also!

We went in and checked on Tin and Mac after their mishap. Scarry. Read about it under the Mississippi threads. I'm gonna make a break here, and finish up later.

2. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    That was a great post man! I felt like I was right there with you. I have met Tin and Mac and they are great guys but without ever meeting Coach,Charles and the rest I still feel like I have known them for years.

3. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    LOL You sure picked one heck of a crew to share your first experience on the Mississippi with. Coach is known to be ummmmm...colorful... at times! The rest of those fellas are top notch too! I've spent some time with all of them and I can only say that I'm really envious of the time you got to spend with them last weekend. I got quite a few chuckles out of the first half of your story and I tried to envision the scenes you described. You certainly have a way with words! Like Chuck said, it's as if we were right there with y'all. I'm glad you enjoyed your first visit to our neck of the woods. I hope I can be present the next time you make it over.

4. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I love a good, factual post! lol. Good post Brian....

It was a fun trip in spite of all the mishaps and I'm ready to go again.

Brian fit right in with us, and we have voted to allow him to be a regular member of the Tunica Crew. He is welcome in my boat any time....if he has the nerve. lol If any of you get a chance to fish with Brian, take it.

5. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Thank all you guys for the nice replies, this was without a doubt the funnest trip I have ever been on with people I have never met. Just a super bunch of guys.

Ok, the first day on the water was a tad chilly and a great learning experience for me. That night around the camp fire I learned a lot more. The anchor rope mishap was a big topic and I am so thankful it turned out the way it did. Just shows it can happen to anybody anytime. God was on their side that day. So, we're sittin around a campfire and I'm super happy about the day and really happy about getting a camp fire going because we have a burn ban in Oklahoma. So I am piling wood on this fire and everybody keeps moving back and Mac finally says something. We're talking about the fish that were caught and Charles is there. Charles starts talking about all the Turd Hustlers they were catching. These are 2, 3, 4, pound catfish. I'm thinking to myself, Man I would like to get in a hole with a bunch of them. They start looking at me like I'm crazy. So, I tell them, you guys have it way too nice to be talkin smack about those little fish. Ofcourse they immediately start talking about the 50 and 60 pound fish they have caught. Matt caught a 38 pounder that very day. Mac had a caught a 60 pounder on a trip before. Oh, oh, I have to say "solid 60", something else I learned, if it's over a certain mark, you have to say "solid".......ain't that right Coach? We sip a few and go to bed. The wind is still out of the west at 900 mph, and my tent is flopping around like a chicken in a tornado, but Charles, Coach and some of the visitors said it was going to "warm" up tomorrow. Now I am in my tent with a heater. I wake up because my arm and one leg is frozen. The only way I got warm was to put my blanket over the heater and let it blow into my sleeping bag. I would get warm, take the blanket off and go to sleep. I repeated this process approximately 3 times per hour until 0630.

Woke up and ate some deliscious chocolate donuts and made some instant coffee on a little cook stove burner thingy. Charles was suppose to go out on this day also, but alas, it was under 75 degrees and the sun was not visible. He stayed at the camp and they made sinkers, Tin and Mac stayed also, for obvious reasons.

Coach and I head out. The day before I pulled the anchor in about 23 times. Coach didn't let out 100 or 150 feet of rope. It was 300 to 400 feet of rope and he would go 15 to 20 mph toward the rope. Needless to say, I am still taking ibuprofen and rubbing Ben Gay on my shoulders!

Oh! I forgot a first day story, Coach and I left the ramp and it was cold. We are flying across the water and he is trying to adjust his hat and safety glasses. He turns his hat around 2 or 3 times, puts it on backwards, takes it off, and finally grabs his glasses and throws them overboard! I'm thinking right then, whew I better be good on this trip!

OK, we head out the second day and it was cold and wet. We get to a hole and start fishing. We start getting bites, and we start catching fish. I caught the first one and it was considered a "turd hustler", about 2 pounds, went on the stringer! Coach caught the next one and it was 11 pounds! Guess what, another "turd hustler"! I'm hollerin and and whoopin and all happy and Coach starts talking about moving because of the "turd hustlers". Then I get a bite and start reelin it in. It was a good one. Got off. Coach immediatley pointed out the pole should jerked when you get a bite, which, in my excitement, did not do! But, thanks to Coach's tutilage, I immediately improved my hook setting ability! Next fish was a 15 pounder! Photos were taken and it went on the stringer. We caught another 10 pounder and a few smaller ones. Stringer. We moved to an unknown spot and fished it for a little while and I caught another 11 pounder! Coach was beginning to show signs of hypothermia and asked if I was ready to head back. I said yes, but I would've stayed til dark. I couldn't feel my feet, nose, cheeks (both sets), chin and three fingers were numb, but man it was fun! We headed back to the ramp. Ofcourse Matt was fishing that day, he caught some 20's and 30's and a couple turd hustlers. He came by the camp and saw the stringer I had. He was nice about it, you could just barely detect the sarcasm in his voice when he said "oooooooo thats a good mess". Then he turned and walked away. I noticed his shoulders moving up and down like he was choking on something, but he got through it and stayed a few more minutes at the camp before he left.

That night, Tin broke out some deliscious bratsand I happily volunteered to cook them. Coach and Charles were responsible for getting the charcoal going. They were carrying burning trees back and forth to the charcoal grill and moving the charcoal briquettes around and finally got the charcoal going. We had a great meal and sat around the camp fire. Around 2130 hours, I felt my face again for the first time since we launched the boat.

Next day we broke camp and said our goodbyes. This bunch of guys are the greatest in the world. They let me into a group and made me feel welcome. They have my thanks and all the respect in the world. I look forward to seeing these fellows again and meeting new ones. Coach, Mac, Tin and Charles, I thank you for a great time and many wonderful memories. You guys are forever welcome with me and mine.

Brian Martin

6. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Brian: Great story. I felt just like I was there while reading it. You sure did pick a bad bunch though. Coach just ain't right no way and well you know Tinboat.

Are you going to come to Keystone this spring? We can't guarantee 800 mph winds but last year we had em in the solid 60s.

7. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Great post the Brian!!! I really enjoyed reading your adventures on the Mississippi. You'll be ready to take on our navagation channel with no fear at all. Thanks for sharing.

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    If anyone would like to learn to fish the MIGHTY Mississippi river Coach and that crew are the ones you should link up with. They have fished that are about four times during this winter.

9. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Thanks for the great stories Brian. Keystone was my first gathering this past year and it was similar. Such a great, fun loving group of people we have here. I have been looking forward to this year since I was breaking down my tent last year.

David Frantz

10. Charlesp54

Charlesp54 Active Member

State:
    Horn Lake, Ms
    Cutshad, I had just as much fun as you and we hope to see you again soon.

11. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Well, I was worried we scared ya off, sure glad you had a good time and Hope to see ya again. I have that kinda fun evertime we go, Never a dull moment with that crew. Its a blast! You forgot one thing though, You were granted with a new personal best, so hurry back and beat it. Giveme a holler when those flatties are ready! Mac

12. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Cutshad,

Excellent post, with true to life prose. If I didn't know better, I'd have thought i was eading Pat McManus in the back of Field & Stream. Sounds like you had a great trip, all things considered.

Dennis

13. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I loved the Okie on the Mighty Mississippi story:) You need to go on another trip so you can share another fishing story with us!

14. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Well thanks to all of you. I believe that was the best trip I have been on. If you all ever get a chance to fish with those guys, try to do all you can to get there. They are great..:)