the melvin price dam

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Aug 10, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    anybody fish this alot from bank im wanting to get a trophy blue, but got no boat,what size weight would i need

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    There is so much info on that location, I wouldn't know where to begin. Try looking up the Gateway Cat Section on here. Most if not all of these guys fish it regularly from a boat, but some bankfish there too.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    were is the gateway section at, i was wondering is i will have to cast 60 yards out below the lock to get any bites also i was wondering if fishing is alowed on it , need to know all before wasting money for the drive

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
  5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish around the dam all the time from the bank. The size weight depends how close you fish to the locks. If you fish the dam you can cast to the locks with a small weight and let the bait drift with rod in hand and continue to cast and retrieve. Or cast with a heavier weight, usually 5 or 6oz and let the current drag the weight into a snag and wait for a blue to take your bait. You will probably lose your weight, so tie it on with a much lighter mono so it will break easily so you don't lose the whole rig. You can also fish the Illinois side of the dam where the water is calmer. There have been plenty of 40-70lb blues caught on both sides of the dam. But I believe fishing on the Missouri side right at the dam is the best place and chance for trophy size blues from the bank, but it is a lot more work. Good luck.