The Mayonnaise Jar & 2 Cups of Coffee

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    When things in your lives seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar and the 2 cups of coffee.

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous "yes."

The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.

"Now," said the professor as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things--your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions---and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car.

The sand is everything else---the small stuff.

"If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

"Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your spouse out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and fix the disposal. Take care of the golf balls first---the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the coffee represented. The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked.

It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend."

2. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    Great Post about Life. We always concentrate on the small things and forget the most important ones. I hope everyone on this site reads this post and gets something from it. Thanks Phil!

3. OBXterraSC

OBXterraSC New Member

State:
    NC (Fort Sill, OK right now)
    So true. We can never be reminded too often about the things that are really important in life.

4. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great post Phil! Thanks for sharing!

5. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    very nice post. thanks for sharing!

6. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    Awesome post Thanks

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Very inspiring post my friend, thank you!!!

8. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Very Very true. It's important to know your priorities in life and devote time to them and not the let the little things consume you.

9. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Great post Phil. :big_smile:

10. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Great post Phil! Thanks for sharing. I for one, know all too well how much we tend to fail to put things in the right priority. For most of us it takes a tragedy before we wake up and realize that while the little things are special, we take way too much for granted and have our priorities way out of order.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    So true Phill!..I forget the important things alot.

12. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Could we replace to coffee with beer?

TA2D

Aaron

13. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If I was to trade that coffee fer beer, I might as well trade the jar for a shoebox!

14. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Good post Phil. You don't know what you've really got til it gone.

15. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Thanks phil, that was a great post.

16. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Thanks Phil as always good post!

17. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Great post Phil! It's the small things we fret about the most and the small things should be the last thing to worry about.

18. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :big_smile: GREAT POST HADN'T REALLY THOUGHT OF IT QUITE THAT WAY .

19. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    True...true...true. Well said.

20. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Nice post, Phil! While family and friends truly make life fulfilling, coffee & fishing make it so much more so!! :big_smile: