The Maple River

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by sal_jr, Aug 15, 2005.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    If anything is going on on the Maple, If it is hitting heavy, dead, flooded, open, or if something of interest hits, I will try to update this thread.

The state record flatty came from the maple. It is a good river to keep up on. The state record is only 47lbs... I know one of us can beat it. COME ON BROTHERS! LETS BUST A RECORD!

I will try to do my part. I have every bit of info on every inch of that river. That is my river. I moved to this part of the state to be closer to this river so I can learn every detail and fish the living hell out of it.

If you want flatheads, you can get them here. If you want the next record from the maple, you better get in line.

I will be glad to guide anyone who choses this river to fish. just... for god's sake, for your sake, for your safety... bring 2 cans of OFF cause this place is mostly swamp and the mosquitoes are strictly business.

Father's day weekend there is a flahead fish off sponsored by the maple rapids bait and tackle. Expect flatheaders to be setlining, to be fishing and stealing, and to be ruthless till the tourney comes and goes in june.

This is the place that bad fishermen go to. Be weary and mindful of the fools out there cause there are a lot. there are setliners, mindless fools with go devils that zip up and down the river at full tilt, and litterers.

I tolerate none of it so if youre like that please expect me to gnaw atcha if I see it.

Sal

2. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    maple access hotspot:

GREAT Channel and flathead spot. For flatties, go right to the river, direct south of the parking lot.

For channels, there is a 2-track going west from the lot. Its about 1/4 mile long but go to the end of it. You will arrive at what looks like a great big bay, but is little more than a swell in the river. Cast to the center with crawlers and youll land mid-range channels all night. It isnt uncommon to catch 20-25 eighteen inchers in a night there.

If you smoke channels, this is the place to go. great eater-sized fish and lots of em

3. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    muir/lyons hotspot part 1:

REALLY GOOD POTENTIAL BUT REALLY GOOD POTENTIAL TO LOSE ONE RIG AFTER ANOTHER. A lot of snags and a sunken rail-car and all sorts of hell are scattered underwater, but the potential for a big flathead in this spot is so good that I fish it and expend my supply a few times a year.

It is the spot where the maple and the Grrand come together. Two dynamite flathead rivers.

Give it a try. Go down m-21 till you get to muir (a marathon station). Turn south, directly across the street from the gas station. When you get to a bump in the road, turn left on the 2-track. About a quarter mile down is an old rail bridge. Park off to the side, and go for it.

I HATE DRIVING DOWN THERE. HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT. I like the walk, the land, and the river spot, but that dang drive really gets to me. When you go you will see why. It is dry and there arent places to get stuck, but if you dont like heights, you will feel the same way I do.

South side of the bridge, far side of the rivver is the sunken rail car. Dont get caught up in it. If you're a snorkeler or diver and you dive it, please get my my 15 lbs of lead and countless hooks back.

For hotspot #2 see Jon Spielman (festus)