The Mankato Area(minnesota)

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA RIVERS TALK' started by schmoofis, Mar 2, 2006.

1. schmoofis

schmoofis New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hello to all! I am new to the forum and somewhat new to catfishing. I fish mainly the minnesota, blue earth, and cottonwood rivers around Mankato. Has anyone found any really great holes for big flatheads? Rapidan dam is a great place to go for channels, but I am just not sure where to start looking for the flats. Any suggestions?

2. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Welcome Aboard Mate!
    I wish I could help you out in your quest in the Mankato area. But I fish the minnesota and Mississippi up in the cities area, for primarlily flats.
    There is a member from MN goes by Nuthinlikeacat. He has had a lot of experience tracking the big flats down in your area.
    HE will probably see your post in the next couple of days and be able to possibly give you some pointers.
    Good luck
    Larry

3. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Welcome aboard,:0a25: its great to see another Minnesotan here on the BOC. To answer your questions , there are plenty of great spots near the Mankato area. I grew up near Mankato and have fished the area for nearly 25 years. In Mankato, there are a few good spots near Sibley Park specifically where the Blue Earth and Minnesota rivers meet. The park will kick you out at 10:00 pm, but if you set up on the the opposite side of the Blue Earth river where the campground is, you can fish there all night. There is an island right out where the two come together, and if you fish off the point casting towards the minnesota river, there is a pretty nice hole with some nice flatheads. Although I do not fish that area that often, we have CPR'd quite a few in the 30 Lb range.

Another area is right across the river from the spoot above. Just follow the Judson road for a mile ot two and you will come upon a few spots on your left. There are 2 deep holes there, and it is fished regularly by people.

Another spot right off of 169 behind the Harley dealershiop is also good. There used to be a boat landing there, but I believe its no longer there. It is quite a hike to get to the spot, but well worth it.
    If your familiar with 7 mile creek (about 3 miles outside of Mankato heading south on 169), that is always another good spot. Every year we pull at least one 30lb fish outta there. it's got a great sandbar to fish on also.

Fromms... In Kasota (the boat landing), is also a good spot. The fish arent that big (20 lb max), but probably the best spot if you want quantity.

The list goes on....if you need more spots, just lemme know, I'll be glad to help.:006:

4. MNwiskers21

MNwiskers21 New Member

State:
    South Saint Paul, MN
    Hello,

Welcome Aboard Schmoofis!

It is good to see another fellow Minnesotan here at the BOC. I personally am from the twin cities and really don't do much fishing near mankato, but do fish alot near faribault and waterville, let me know if you want any hot spots for around that area.

Take Care!
    Sincerely, Kevin

5. manchu_fire

manchu_fire New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Been hunting around on the Minnesota river from Savage to the Mississippi / Minnesota River meet and greet, found a few good holes but as allways timing is key.. Getting the itch bad...
    Well hope to have more to say in the next few monthe, keep in touch all..

6. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Welcome aboard Mate!
    I Work the same parts of the River you do, usually put in at 35w ramp. We had pretty good luck last year. With flats and some nice channels.
    Cant wait for the water to warm up.
    Good luck

7. schmoofis

schmoofis New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I appreciate all the advice. I am going to be hitting rapidan dam next week pretty hard when the park opens. I think that spot on the judson road might be perfect.

Does anyone have any good advice on getting cats to be in the cold water?

8. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    Generally use smaller presentations. A small circle hook, and ounce or two of lead, and either a small hunk of cut bait or a couple of fatheads on the hook usually do the trick for me. With the fatheads, I like one live one and a few heads or crushed ones.

9. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Let me know how you do down there. I usually don't start fishing that area until the water temp gets warmer and the river drops. (Usually about the last week in April).