The making of a champion!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Netmanjack, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As the very proud winner of the 2nd annual Tony Spergin Tounament held at Salt Fork Lake in conjunction with the 2009 Ohio Gathering, I am compelled to offer my thanks to every one that helped to make it possible.
    First and foremost on the list is Cats Gone Wild, Phil is a veteran of many gatherings and is a very honorable and unassuming man. He offered me the open seat on his mighty vessel and I gladly accepted. Who knew that by his kindness my very best all time cat fishing adventure was under way. Yes this simple act of kindness catapulted me to the very lofty position I now and forever will hold. Netmanjack winner of the biggest Flathead award for the tourny! Now as it so very often happens in this unpredictable old world of ours, Phil was destined to win first place for the Channel cat division! Yes two champions on the same boat! Who'd a thunk it. What a night we had. A little after eight we got set up. By nine the fight was on. My pole dipped slowly with pressure on the big circle hook (that I will forever use from now on) then popped back up. I gently brought my unit out of the rod holder and braced my self for the expected run of the small size of cat that I always catch. What the? hey this is no ordinary cat, man this guys a monster! knees don't fail me now! Phil quietly came to my side and calmed me down gently whispering encouragement and helpful reminders. Jack, we have all night, don't horse him, let him run, we are in open water. You got him now. all the things a good fishing partner should do. I was still terrified! My old Penn reel is on it's last legs and I had been having serious issues with the drag. I thought for sure it would seize up and I would loose my opportunity for a new pb.It took a lot of patients and time but after getting him to the surface for the fifth time after many arm and hand cramping attempts, he reluntantly came to the side of the boat and Phil managed to get him into the net head first. This was the most nerve wreaking part of the whole experience. I could just see every thing going for naught as he slipped away form my grasp.What a relief when this monster fish was laying in the bottom of the boat. Whether he made it back to the weigh in or not I had officially broken my old thirty eight pound mark. Forty five pounds by Phil's scale. We settled down and re baited. Bam! I got another hit, another good sized one too. After just a little tugging and one run the hook came out! Well that happens. Then, another big hit. Oh wow! the fights on again! I was an old hand at this by now even if my arm was aching and my knees were shaking. This one was in the low forty's too. It didn't cooperate at the side of the boat and Phil had to reach in it's mouth with both hands and wrestle him over the side. Now I was really shocked two forty pound flats, unbelievable. I was starting to worry about Phil. His generosity would surly be paid back wouldn't it? It sure was! As the next rod to bend and send it's reel to screaming was Phil's! Yes it was another forty pounder. I finally got to net a fish and suddenly Phil's net started to look pretty small. He fought just like the first two and we finally got it on board, oh yeah the net was bent very badly. 127 pounds on board in three fish. What a night.

Attached Files:

2. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Thanks for sharing that, Jack.And congrats to you and Phil on the great fish. Couldn't happen to nicer guys. Can't wait till next year's gathering.

3. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    awesome fish Jack. congrats to you and Phil.

4. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    WOW, sounds like a great night! Congrats Jack!:crazy:

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Congratulations Jack,
    Nice write up
    Goes to show that the sun shines even on dog butts like us sometimes. Nice of you to let Phil get in on the action.
    You guys did good...W

6. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thats an incredible night! congrats on the hawgs! work and classes leave me no time to fish... it starting to really take its toll:sad2: at least i got the bait tank filled up last week so hopefully soon!

7. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats ona great night and your new pb flattie!!

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    congrats on a nice fish, I'm sure Tony would be proud of you......

9. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice going Jack...sb

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Did you net that yourself?

Congrats on the Hawg!

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    great job, congrats

12. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice job to both Jack and Phil! Couldn't happen to a better pair of guys...

13. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    What a great night thanks for sharing.

14. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    ITS GOOD TO HEAR YOU GOT A NEW P. B. HEY THANKS FOR LETTING US KNOW ABOUT ,it was a good storey

( sorry about the cap s )

15. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :big_smile: congrats and high 5s to ya , awsome story and cool pic !!!!!!!!!

way to go brother truely awsome !!!!

16. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on that new pb Jack!!!!!!:wink:

17. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great job guys..... I could feel the excitement just by reading the story!!!

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Excellent night Jack. Congrats on the big fish!! I'm sure you all had a blast, I know I missed out on a lot of fun... Congratulations....rollo

19. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    congrats again jack! what an awesome night of fishing! Enjoyed your story thoroughly!

20. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    This was by far the best night of fishing I have ever had! Yes we caught three nice flats and some channels but the best part was watching Jack land his personal best. It was truely just as much fun as catching one myself. I was honored to experience this moment in Jack's life and it is extra special to share these moments with another BOC brother. S-Man (Skip) was with me when I caught my PB flathead and Ramrod ( Johnny) was with me when I caught my PB channel. I want to thank Jack for helping to make this an outing I will never forget. BTW, we cut it close with the winning channel. I caught it along with another around 7 a.m., one hour before weigh in. They were two of only three channels we caught all night. Good luck to Jack and everyone the rest of the year.