The Maiden Voyage of F/V Marie Laveau

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by DWB, Jun 8, 2009.

1. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    First off let me tell you that I considered naming this thread "Think Twice Before Naming Your New Boat After a New Orleans Voodoo Queen". However, for the time being I am choosing to think of all the little "annoyances" we experienced on this trip as mere coincidence vice the handy work of some dark spirit!

We took the new rig down to Lake Pomme de Terre this weekend for a shake-down cruise and some camping...all in all we had a pretty good time. Being the son of a sailor and having previously made my living sailing the seas I decided to give the Marie a proper christening complete with all of the ritual and ceremony often reserved for larger vessels.

As I ended the brief ceremony declaring the new boat the Fishing Vessel (F/V) Marie Laveau my wife swung a bottle of Miller High Life (the champagne of beers) breaking it over the bow. We swept up all of the glass shards and launched the Marie into the lake. The 140hp Yamaha fired up effortlessly and I swung her over to the boarding dock to pick up the wife and kids.

Three minutes into our trip the fisrt of this weekends "occurrences" happened--we were pulled over by the water fuzz. The officer had noticed that I had no numbers on my boat. After learning that the boat was newly purchased and a quick check of my safety gear he sent me on my way...no big deal.

It was then that I began to put the Marie through her check out. She ran really nice through all RPMs forward and back. Even with a 15kt wind and a lot of lake traffic I was happy with how she handled the chop. I did notice a few things that will need to be fixed at the dealer though. The fuel gauge is non functioning as is the Humminbird 997c (it continuously cycles between a loading screen and the main menu...over and over again). Also the steering (hydraulic) seems VERY VERY stiff. Not sure what might be causing this but I know it can't be right. Even at idle speeds it nearly takes two hands to turn the wheel.

At this point everything else seemed OK. We cruised the lake running the motor through her break-in procedures and explored the lake (which is new to me). We stopped at a couple points to catch a few perch and do some swimming. The girls were getting restless so we headed back to the launch point to get her out of the water. I made the small landing dock and sent my wife and older girl up to get the trailer. As they walk of I cast off the line and head back to start the boat...nothing happens. Remember the 15kt wind I mentioned earlier...well it is blowing me out into the lake. I quickly run up and drop the hook and stopped about 100 feet off the dock. Upon inspection I find that the the starter switch is not properly seated into the dash and is free spinning as I turn the key. Easy fix as I finger tighten the bracket; however, still no start. No I give it a look from below and notice that as the switch was free spinning a number of wires unplugged. I finally got her started again and pulled anchor and loaded back onto the trailer. Did I mention that I slipped on the algae covered boat ramp and smacked my head on the back of the ramp leaving a nice gash?

So in summary

-Visit from the water fuzz
    -Inoperable fuel gauge
    -Inoperable Humminbird 997c
    -VERY stiff hydraulic steering
    -Problems with starter switch
    -Slip on the boat ramp leading to gash in head

Your guess is a good as mine...Voodoo shenanigins or just your normal shake-down happenings? Regardless it was great to get on the water and all in all I am thrilled with Marie and can't wait to get these few bugs fixed up.

Just in case I also have been doing a little research this morning wrt Voodoo and it seems that practitioners of Voodoo believe in a god called Agwe' who rules over the sea, fish, and aquatic plants, as well as the patron god of fishermen and sailors ensuring safe maritime travels. There is a symbol for this Voodoo god which I plan to paint onto F/V Marie Laveau!

Attached Files:

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hope you get her squared away soon.

Check your lug nuts......my trailer wheels almost came off 1 month after owning the boat, ruined a rim and hub. LOL!

These things happens unfortunately, you'd think it would all be good to go.

I couldn't even launch on my maiden voyage because the friggin' fuel fitting on my gas line was for a johnson, not a yammy!:angry:

Good Luck with the VooDoo thing.:smile2:

3. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I dunno, sounds like a pretty normal day to me. :smile2:

4. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    That is the really scary part, Bob! :smile2:

5. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    Sad but true it seems.

You're just getting it all out of the way early so you can enjoy the rest of the summer. Riiiiight! :roll_eyes:

6. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Sounds like a fun day none the less. No trips to the hospital and got to spend a day with the family, cant beat that. Im sure all will start to pan out soon enough. Good Luck!:wink:

7. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Dan, I guess your sending the 997 back. i have never had a problem with mine. You seen my boat. I have never had a problem with it that i could not fix right on the water. the only problem I ever had was running up on the dike with you in the boat. So my conclusion is your boat is not cursed, it's you. Your the one thats cursed:crazy:

8. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    as far as the fuel gauge im on my second sea ark and my buddy is on his 3rd
    and none of the fuel gauges ever worked right dont know what the problem
    is but they have always had a problem
    later
    slider

9. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Man, I believe that. Mine's not working right, neither does Swamp's, and neither did the one on Cuz's old boat.:crazy::confused2:

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Yeah.......they seem to indicate 1/8 to 1/4 of a tank as we are stranded in the water out of gas huh Cuz and Grump?:wink::smile2:

11. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Funny how that works!:smile2::smile2:
    Always gotta have the git-home-gas (5-gallon jug). It don't take up much room and you never know who might need to borrow it!

12. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    who needs get home gas when you got "ole swampy" to the rescue

13. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Dan it sounds like you took a trip with Greg:wink:. As far as the fuel guage check your connections at your float switch on your tank I had this problem once. You can take that float out of your tank and rebend the rod so your getting alot closer reading. When my guage is on "E" I still have about 6 or so gallons left. I have hydrolic sterring on my boat and it's real smooth it's almost sounds like you don't have any fluid in it or have a blockage. Take the screw out of the helm and see if there is any fluid in it.

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    no clue what you are referring to Skipeye. :roll_eyes:

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Yeah, but who ya gonna call when Ol Swampy goes to floating? He has been floating twice this year already. And who could forget Swamp and Punkin Floating a mile short of the weight in scales at the East/West Shootout. :smile2::cool2:

16. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    and still won...... now if them two are not pros then who is?

17. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Raise your hand if the fuel gauge in your boat works! I can't remember being in any boat where it worked.

18. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    Technically, I have not been floating or out of gas once this year! The shootout was last year and YOU WERE THE ONE OUT OF GAS, FLOATING IN MY BOAT AT TRUMAN!!!!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: I was in Steve's at the time of the said incident and take no responsibility for it at all. :wink:

So, to state this correctly You have been floating out of gas 2 (READ-TWICE) times in the last calendar year not me!:crazy::smile2:

I have only been out once (last year) at the shootout and still took your money!:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

19. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    still took your money!

Ouch that really had to sting a bit
    but very funny

20. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    BEANO, with Beano there will be no gas. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: