The lure of flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by spanishcatman, Jan 23, 2007.

1. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Flats look like a really mean predator to me, so I have a question. How many of you guys use lures to catch them? CAN you even catch them on lures? This has probably been asked before, so sorry if that is the case. I've caught wels on all sorts of lures (stickbaits, jerkbaits, spinners, soft plastics...) and on the right day, they can outcatch everything!

Just curious. :big_smile:

To add a little spice, here's a picture of a fish caught last year on a lure in the Rio Segre. Sorry the picture is so small. It was around 200 pounds and it wasn't me that caught it. And I really hate to say that! :lol:

Attached Files:

2. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I've yet to catch a flathead off of a lure. But I've heard of it done, a few times. But in every case it ended in a break-off, 'cause they were fishin' for bass. Anyway, if you're goin' after the flats, try using live bait to lure 'em outta the brush. Different things work better in different places, but here it's bluegill. Hope this helps ya atleast a little...

-Red

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I CAUGHT A 13 LB FLAT LAST YEAR ON ON A 200 SERIES BANDIT CRANKBAIT, WHILE TROLLING FOR CRAPPIE.

4. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    yep .... I've never done it but seen it done and heard about the results many times. Trolling various kind of crank baits ... if it acts like a bait fish, it will work. It's kind of a specialized way of fishing for flats on lakes. Relatively slow trolling big water near dams, rip rap, etc and if I remember right, kinda seasonal when it works. May be wrong about "how" or "when" but I know it will catch a flat. Several good ole boys around here rig up specifically to do this on occasion ... some serious heavy rigs by North American catty standards.
    Redd is right, normally it is trolling bass fisherman (striper usually) that hook one. In most cases, if it is under 20 lbs. or so will they have a decent chance of landing it.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I talked to a guy working a gander Mtn in amarillo TX that caught a 40 on a spinnerbait in Silverton TX

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have caught a few Channel Cats on lures but never a Flathead. I'm not saying it can't be done just that I have never done it!

7. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    My brother caught a blue on a plastic worm once.

8. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    A freind of mine caught 2 flathead last spring about 100 yards apart fishing a lake for bass with a meps spinner.Both only weighed about 2 pounds.

9. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've caught them while bass fishing in backwater lake off the river. Landed one that was 12lbs and a few that was over 5lbs. I hung one one day on a crank bait that was in the 40lb range. After a 10 minuite fight it finally straightened out the little #6 treble hook. WOW was that fun! I wish I could have got it in. They all were caught in the spring of the year while it was still cool but warming up.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A guy here in Alabama, USA caught a flathead on a lure. It was a big one to.

11. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom

That probably makes sense as I find that livebaits also work really well at that time of year as the water is warming up. The fish seem to be more aggressive than at some other times - at least wels do!

12. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    ive caught 2 catfish on lures....1 flathead and 1 channel. it doesnt happen very often, and id dare to say never intentional. you cant beat live bait such as bluegill, shad, small carp, and bullhead

13. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    spanishcatman,

We catch flatheads out of the Great Miami River on grubtail jigs while dragging bottom for saugeye, usually in the spring - I took two last April Fool's Day on orange tail/white head in pretty clear water. There's one fella that targets big flats exclusively with a white twister jig worked around the rocks and dam wall, and he pulls 'em out up to 40 pounds. I still prefer live bait, though. I'd love to tie into one of your Wels using any bait.

Dennis

14. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ive caught 2 channels and 1 blue cat on lures. My brother caught a flathead on a plastic worm. And ive heard stories of a guy on T.V. purposely using lures for flatheads. Other than that, Ive never heard of anyone purposely using a lure for flatheads, or any north american catfish.

I did see a video of someone catching what I thinkwas a Wels catfish on a jig.

15. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    It's sure not uncommon to catch a flathead on a trolled crankbait, but I don't know of anyone that does it on purpose! I know of several nice flatheads being caught by muskie fishermen while trolling a 5" Tuff Shad crankbait at GPS speeds of 4 to 4.5 mph. I've only caught 3, but I know of quite a few. These fish were not snagged. Most have had the entire bait in their mouths. While we were trolling Salt Fork lake in Ohio one fall day, my buddie caught a 48" flattie the pegged the 50 lb scale. On aside note, most of these flatheads were caught while trolling the Tuff Shad near the bottom, but there have been some that hit a bait trolled about 8' below the waters surface, in water that is 30' deep....in the middle of the day! Go figure.

16. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    A lot of the French, Belgian and some of the German lads often use lures more or less exclusively for wels for a large part of the year. I think that it is a case of preferring the method rather than the method being more effective for these guys. I have tried it and it is fun - the strikes are crazy! But if you had to tie me down to a single way of catching, it wouldn't be lures in all honesty :smile2:

17. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Most of the time its by accident, but yes they will hit lures from what Ive heard.

18. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    WOW! That had to be a awesome fight! I have watched my wife catch 2LB channels on ultralite's( she alway's feels the need to out fish me:big_smile: ).
    Thanks for posting,
    Wooly

19. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    One spring I read in In-Fisherman mag that they could catch Flats on deep diving crankbaits fished on the run down from the dam. I decided if they were on the flat some would be under the dam. I casted out a DD22 crankbait acrossed the face of a low head dam, around cast 20 I nailed one or he nailed me cause he nearly jerked the rod outta my hands. Ended up being a 16 pounder but boy did he nail that bait hard. Never tried it since though. Easier ways to catch a Flathead lol.

20. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    In the spring and fall alot of large flatheads are caught with crankbaits and jigs up here in Minnesota while people are targeting walleyes on the Minnesota River.