The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that every time I go on the river, out of 6 rods on my boat, one rod in particular becomes the "chosen rod" of the day. No matter the placement or location seems to change that. Anyone else experience this phenomenon?

·
Registered
30 Posts
No joke. Ive got an old Penn rod and reel that I bought for snook fishing about 15 years ago. Since I bought that rod I have caught and landed more fish on it than all my other big rods combined.

This summer for instance, we always fish 6 big rods for flatheads. That big rod caught every once of the top 5 biggest fish of the summer, and without any doubt caught as many , if not more fish than all 5 other rods combined.

Its bizarre, they all run same line, leader, rigging, etc. I will say that I tend to put only large baits on that rod , simply because ot a beast and handles it well, but they all do lol!!!

It doesnt make any sense and we joke about it all the time. "Keep a close eye on Bertha , she tries to jump out of the boat a lot"

On the same hand, bought a BEAUTIFUL new rod and reel, abu 6500... beautiful 8' rod...cast and handles like a dream. Literally fished it right beside that Penn every night ALL SU
MMER and never caught a single fish on it. I think some rods just have the juju lol!!!

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,110 Posts
I have definitely noticed it. Last two trips out one of my rods has caught nearly all the fish. Yesterday I caught 13 flatheads and that one rod caught all but two. I had at least six rods out at each spot. That was at three different spots too. It wasn't like the rod was in the same spot the entire time.

·
Administrator
10,647 Posts
I have heard several fishermen say that they had to get the Juju off of a new rod before it could get up to it's full potential.

Now I don't actually know what Juju is or even if I am spelling it right. I don't know if Juju gets added at the factory, while in transit, at the retail store or maybe sprinkled on when the UPS guy drops it off at the house. But it always seems to be there.

Don't give up on a new rod. Just like kids, flowers and savings bonds it takes time before you see their full potential. But like life insurance they usually pay off in the end.

lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do believe the "new rod juju" is accurate. Started with 2 Ugly Stick catfish rods, then added 4 new Big Cat Fever to the mix - the Ugly Sticks still get all the attention.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Yes, I have experienced it and can offer no explanation for why it happens. I have two identical BPS Bill Dance Quantum combinations bought on the same day from the same retailor, rigged with line from the same spool and sinkers from the same mold. I have had days where one of the two got all the action, other days where one got most of the action. I suspend drift and the rods are not assigned rod holders so they may get switched around every time we move so it's not the rod holder or where it is located on the boat, it's just a mystery without any clues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts