The low down on Rings & Tip Tops

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by bubbajum, Jan 27, 2008.

1. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Here is a link to Fuji web site and it gives an explanation of ring types and a comparison chart..very interesting.

The reason for posting this is because I contacted a custom rod maker (not any of the ones on the BOC) and asked for better rings and tiptop. The answer was no basic stainless steel only, fine if that’s the only rings he uses then I’ll take mine (business) else ware.

Fuji’s web site says, “SIC rings are 12 times harder than stainless steel and nearly twice as hard as aluminium oxide” Now that’s what I’m talking about I want my second custom rod to be something special….something better that’s in a big box store.

Custom to me means choices; with this builder you had no choice of blank color, rings, or grips and only 3 different colors of wraps. The only input the customer had was length of blank action(taper) and power. With limited choices like that I think someone would be far ahead of the game buying from a local retailer off the shelf…and save some money.

I have many rods from Wal-Mart- Bass Pro -Gander Mountain and Cabalas, some are junk and some are real good. But to me a custom should be a step above in materials and craftsmen ship something to pass along to the kids like my granddad did with me.

So check out the link I hope you find it interesting:big_smile:
    http://www.fujitackle.com.au/rings.htm

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've been a big fan of the Hardloys for a long long time.
    An eye on a rod dont have to look like a tank to perform like a tank and Hardloys are pretty light in weight.

I've built with SIC's before and they are nice eyes. I'm strictly a mono man and dont need the hardness though.

The reason the man says stainless only.
    He isnt a custom builder. He is a manufacturer of rods.

The only limits a custom builder is going to place on building a rod is availability of parts, his creative ability, the parameters of his knowledge of building and products to build with, and his tooling.

The best advice I can give having built on and off for 20 years is dont go seeking a custom rod blind.
    Read up on rod building, know the difference in tapers and actions. Even buy a rod building book if you have no desire to build yourself.
    It'll put you on the same playing field as your builder. You'll wind up happy and it will be easier for him to make you happy.

I'll never forget the time my boss of long ago asked a man what he wanted in a HVAC system. He said, "I want one of them heat pumps."
    This thing was a massive package unit. Had to take down a fence and hire 3 drunks to get it behind the house. Even had to cut a tree down to wedge it into place.
    Once it was operational the homeowner asked where the gas line was.:crazy:

We were in uniform ready to play, he was somewhere in the parking lot lost and trying to find his car.
    He was made happy but it cost both parties to get him to that point.

3. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Mark
    The reason the man says stainless only.
    He isn't a custom builder. He is a manufacturer of rods

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Well I know exactly what I want in every thing but the blank brand and blank material. Been looking at Seeker, but the specs on these are different than fresh water blanks.

Any sugestions e-glass s-glass of composit?

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The blank all depends on what you want in a rod and the feel.
    I do fish with some glass rods but I prefer graphite , most notably the G. Loomis blanks.