the longest cast

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by warcraft1975, Jul 20, 2008.

1. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

went fishing the other day with a buddy of mine from work. after makeing one of my long winded casts out the just the right spot, he asked me"what is the world record cast?"and i said i dunno..lol so i was wondering does anyone knowing what the world record cast is with a reg. fishing pole?

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    dont know buts its a good question

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
  4. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    now thats some castin !!

5. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    I wonder if they can do that without losing their bait.:smile2:

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You've got to bear in mind that those guys aren't making those casts with fishing gear. While they have a shock leader to let them cast without breaking off the weight, their line is as light as possibly can be without breaking during casting. Maybe 4#-6# or so. No bait or anything else, just the weight, the size of which is determined by the rules of the casting tournament. Still, we can get some good ideas from these guys about how to lengthen our casts so we can reach those honeyholes. Long poles. If you're using a spinning reel, the larger the diameter of the spool holding the line, the less resistance caused by the lip, and the greater distance you can cast. That's why the Alvey reel used to have the distance record...the largest ones have a 7" diameter spool. Since they get their greatest distance without bait, the smaller the bait you use, the further you can cast. If you have to have a float, use a long slim float that doesn't have much wind resistance. I've seen guys fishing below Dardanelle Dam get excellent distance using a balloon for a float; but it wasn't a regular round balloon, it was one of those long, skinny ones that you use to twist into animal figures. They're only about 3" in diameter; you can blow them up longer or shorter as your weight requires. Thinner line will let you cast further, so you can get greater distance with a superbraid than with mono of the same breaking test.

7. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    With the price of fuel it would pay for me to learn to cast like that.

I could just stand on my back deck and fish Perry,Pomona,and Clinton and never have to leave.:smile2::smile2:

8. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Sounds like a distance casting contest would be in order for the fall gathering, couple of divisions, all for bragging rights????

9. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Im definitely game for that. Charlie, you gonna make it for the gathering ?:cool2:

10. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I thought Charlie was smoking the meat on this gathering:wink::wink:

11. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    If things work out schedule wise I'd be more than happy to do some Q.

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    I found and save two films awhile back, one shows how to do the "pendulum" cast, the other the "unitec" cast. They're both similar, and mainly used for fishing. The pendulum is the one described in the post Kyle made. I got interested when I started shore fishing, I just searched "long casts" and came up with them. I'd post them, but don't know how to get them on here.

13. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Did they ever say how far there bell went ??! :smile2::smile2:

14. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    :roll_eyes::smile2::smile2::smile2:

15. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Tiny Johnson's site has information and instructional videos on long casting. Hope this doesn't get flagged, but I think it is Catfish.tv.com.

16. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

im in

17. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

is there a date set for the fall gathering all ready?

18. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Sept 5,6,and 7..... Tuttle Creek River Pond Park:cool2: