The Licking River

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by CatMaster3, Jun 28, 2008.

1. CatMaster3

CatMaster3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Does anyone know if the licking river is a good place to catfish? I live about 20 miles away and thought about trying it sometime

2. Foam Steak

Foam Steak New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    In the section I fish all I have ever caught were very very small channel cats. But I have not targeted Catfish specifically. Usually I am fishing for smallmouth on the licking.

I have caught Smallmouth, White Perch, Kentucky Bass, Warmouth, Sunfish, Gar and Crappies in the sections of the Licking that I fish. I have seen Muskies that look like telephone poles crusing in some of the feeder creeks. A local CO told me there are White Bass and Saugers in there as well, but I have yet to land one. I know some of the folks who fish closer to the damn have good luck with Saugers.

Good Luck.

3. CatMaster3

CatMaster3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks i appreciate it

4. Foam Steak

Foam Steak New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Catmaster,

Didnt I see from another post you are from Maysville? If you are going to take a drive for some Cat Fishing may I reccomend Driving North East toward Mendahl Dam. It is a little bit closer and you can catch some nice size Blue's and stripers and Sauger just below the dam. If you have a boat there should be some good flathead fishing just upriver from where you are at.

The advantage of the Licking river would be if you are trying to get away from it all. Very peacefull and quiet, low flow river with very few people.

5. CatMaster3

CatMaster3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    yeah i am from maysville.. The mendahl dam is a good place to fish., ive never really caught anything worth bragging about but i know there there.. Thanks for your help

6. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    We fished the Licking River where it empties into the Ohio last November and did pretty well on blues. I've heard it's a good place for flatheads during the warmer months. Try fresh cut shad.

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like some good fishing up there around Mayeville. Good luck