The Last of the Big Catfish

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by AwShucks, Sep 11, 2009.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Everyone knows the historical story of the Last of the Mohican's. These were humans, with all the human intelligence, wiped out to the point the are no more. I fear the same will happen with the big catfish, which has no human intelligence, just a big belly.
    Just think of all the Sports fishermen with the hundreds of rods and reels in the waters every day. The trot lines, limb lines, throw lines, nets, traps, each taking a toll on the big fish. A few of us encourage CPR, and more than a few who ridicule us for this viewpoint. If you would stop to think, there is quite a few species which are now extinct thanks to the human race.

No one, to my knowledge, will ever begrudge a person the right to harvest fish for their consumption. It is just that each of us needs to set a size limit and if a fish meets or exceed that limit, it needs to be released.

Unca is probably crying.

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Great post brother. Reps for CPR:wink:

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    "AMEN" Gotta give a bit in order to recieve. Great post.

4. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    Great post. I will be the first to say that i LOVE eating catfish. But i have a limit to how big i will keep them. No more than 8-10 lbs. and thats channel cats. anything bigger, they're going back into the drink to be caught another day. Thats the way it ought to be with everyone. the smaller ones taste better anyway.

5. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Here in Minnesota we are allowed to keep 5 catfish per day and only 1 over 24". Only two of those 5 can be flatheads.

Personally, I think we should have a slot limit that makes for the release of all flatheads between 24 and 40", but I think our regs are a good start....

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I personally think the catfishing now is better than 20 years ago. I think there's more big catfish than ever. Just look on this board...there's ton's of big trophy fish being caught all the time and the majority are released. States banning commercial fishing, regs on limits and some states even size. I really think we are entering a golden age of not only great catfishing but lots of big trophy's.

7. kingkat82

kingkat82 New Member

State:
    Central KS
    Thanks Lawrence for an excellent, passionate post and don't worry; the shoithouse hasn't gone up in flames completely yet as the BoC is proof enough of that:wink:. I'll reiterate, If you gotta fish you gotta leave the big ones at their homes which will allow you and others to keep on fishing! There's always going to be exceedingly more small fish than big fish in a given system..and they taste better. It's a no brainer!!

This kind of intelligence, respect, and diligence throughout all of the fishing communities is direly needed. I've learned a lot from the BoC and this along with other posts have inspired me to the point of beginning work on and inevitably some day trying to get an article published in a local newspaper about said diligent, intelligent C(P)R fishing, along with a GOOD manual to place at public fishing spots or websites or where have you to help the cause! Only tricky part will be making them entertaining and "worthwhile" enough for kids heheh..
    It also seems like the sport of fishing has picked up in the last years as well so it's more important than ever. These days I'm motivated and confident enough to preach about it to other fishers without second guessing myself(no doubt a big THANKS to the positively awesome, reputable BoC:0a31::worship::smile2:). I do feel I'm part of a collective and especially want mine and all others children to have the same opportunities we all do now especially fishing and nature. I'm just a human trying to do what I see as right:wink: :big_smile:.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to the BOC brother and nice post. Reps:wink:

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Mercy, I should have added noodlers to that list. LOL

10. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I have already started to see a decline on my section of river.We had a group who kept everything they could get their hands on around here thru the spring.It was bad enough that the DNR were actually trying to catch them.Then another bunch were filling 50 gal drums with shad as many times a day as they could,resulting in a reduction of shad in particular spots to the point you would catch only 1 or 2 in a dozen casts.Same spot normally only takes 1 throw with your net and your throwing shad back because your net would be full.

11. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    great post man reps for cpr

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    And large catfish lay substancially more than 1000 eggs per spawn, if they live to lay eggs. The quantity is with the smaller fish, the quantity is with the larger fish. How may world record blues, channels or flatheads do you reckon there are swimming today? Can't be as many as yesterday, depending upon the number of large fish pictures you see that was taken in a brothers back yard.

13. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    AwShucks, yesterday we had a post in the NC section (Lakes and Reservoirs) by a young fellow bragging about catching 13 catfish, most of which were trophy cats. In his post he stated that they had five cats that had a total weigh of 194 pounds. He even had photo's of them in the back of his pickup truck, plus he was holding two, all of which were dead. We fought hard in 2007-2008 to get a fishing regulation passed with a 32" limit (blue cats) per person per day and this fellow ignored the Reg's or didn't take the time to read them. What he did in one night wiped out some great breeder fish. The link for this tragic event can be found at http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124585:sad2:

I am not opposed to people keeping eater size fish or one 32" blue cat or better for food, I keep eater size fish every week, but limit myself to those weighing less than ten pounds.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have had my best flathead spot ruined by trotliners this year, the set lines 7 gays a week...Now I cant buy a flathead...when will people leran they are destroying our sport by there actions...maybe they dont care.

15. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I agree Jack. I hope some day my grandkids can have an opportunity to catch trophey fish. That is why I CPR all cats over 10#:wink:

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Possibly a big difference is that in my granddaddy's days, there were not as many fishermen as today, the available waters were not fished as today, they didn't have sonar, GPS or maps to help them, and there were a heck of a lot more big fish in them days before granddaddy started whittling the numbers down and we come along and compound the problem.

17. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i believe catma must be one of those guys that goes out and keeps everything he catches and doesnt care what it could do to the future of the population.

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Possibly that is so, David. But, that IS his right. I'm not wanting to change society about the way they think of these big fish. Really, I'm not. I just want them to be aware that at some distant point, there will not be big fish anymore. In the decades to come, a 40 pound fish may be as difficult to catch as the 80 to 90 pound ones are today. If we don't police ourselves and stop the practice of killing the big fish, for the table or for the head to hang on a fence post, eventually they will run out.

19. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Nice post brother:wink:Reps:wink:

20. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There are alot more people fishing for big cats than back in grandpas days, that logic dont float.