The last 2weeks of catfish on Smith Mtn Lake

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CatsNstripers, Oct 7, 2009.

1. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I'm Heading out of town for a week, so as of today Wed, I'll be getting the boat and truck ready, probally have to warsh some clothes to. So I thought i'd throw in a report for the last two weeks of fishing.

The Fall Bite for Flatheads on Smith Mtn Lake is on, big time. Even on the nights of the full moon we did well. Most fish are average size 8-15lbs, with a few fish ranging up towards 20lbs, there's larger fish to be had to. The Bite has been coming on strong once the night has became good and dark. Not much of a dusk bite. But from them on, it seems the bite stays consistant, until well for a long while on each spot. I hav'nt fished many slow areas, with each area i'm fishing producing 3-10Cats of various sizes. Channel cats and stripers too.

I'm looking for long tapering points and flats that drop off into the river or creek channel. Also under water humps produce well, which most are near the old channels. Bottom structure doesnt seem to matter much. I've been catching flatheads on soft, hard and rocky bottoms. Most Underwater humps are old rock/pebble piles formed by the old river channel anyhow.

Bait has been live gizzard shad mostly, which has been a major "female dog" to catch lately. Why?, i have no clue. This time of the year, is the time i brag about making 1-2 throws with a net and you have all you need. Somedays its taken up to 2 hours to put 20-30, 6-12inch (you know the big ones) in the tank. This past saturday i actually pulled a muscle in my arm, slinging that 12ft net. So Sunday i couldnt fish, and dont take more muscle relaxers then the bottle calls for, trust me. Monday I talked a friend into buying Jumbo Shiners, which actually worked! But $9dollars a dozen, they can keep them from now on...... The next 2-3 years should be good for big gizzards. The offspring from this year is tremendous, with out all the threadfin that had a big kill this past winter. The small peanut gizzard shad are on the surface every were!... Cut bait has also been procuding some Flatheads, but will also pick up those bonus fish as of big channel cats and stripers... We have also been picking up several Stripers while targeting flatheads, some nights they out number the cats. And a few times, we've caught more at night fishing for cats then during the day fishing for them.. Most are running 8-16lbs.

Speaking of Stripers, they have broke lose as well. Busting most evenings and some mornings. Pulling live bait will smash'em to. I'll make a post in the Striper section in "other fish" about smith mtn. If anyone is interested in reading it..

All Fish have been released..... I had a friend ask me recently, "what do you think the shad is thinking as you sling him through the air with that hook in his nose?".... I replied, "I dont really know, but what i do know. If there is such a thing as recarnation, then i bet you. That I will come back as a Shad"

I'm heading to the Outer banks for For a week for Big Red Drum from the surf, and using the boat for Stripers starting to show up.. Heres a few pics from the last two weeks....

Attached Files:

2. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I forgot to mention. I'm placing my baits 10-25ft deep.

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Great report! Sounds like the fish have been keeping you busy lately.

Have fun in the OBX! We go for a week every year in Sept. I've never fished from the surf, but always do an offshore charter. Do you do your fishing on Hatteras Island?

4. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I ususally Stay on Hatteras Island, in Salvo. I mostly fish from my boat, Oregon and hatteras inlet, and out in the sounds and all the way up to and around Roanoke Island. This time of the year though i love to get out and sling those hatteras heavers off the beaches between salvo and avon and also the Point in hopes of those Bull Red Drum...

I've never taken a charter out of Oregon or hatteras. Which boat do you normally take, i dont know many of the captains, but i've gotten familiar with the boats and there reputation.... But I do have a Cobia trip lined up for late this spring. Most of my offshore adventures came out of Murrels inlet SC and Shim Creek just below Charelston SC. For Tuna, dolphin, grouper etc

5. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the great report as always you do a great job!
    Good luck in OBX, hope you catch a whale:wink::smile2: