the knowledge of a old catter

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Dec 8, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i was planning in going down to my local fishing pier and do some striper fishing but i had in mind to do some catfishing too.

i riged 1 pole with the usual carolina rig with a 1 oz egg and a 5/0 hook... got down there and caught shad then went off to catch some gills

when i came back i saw a guy down there with a large spinning setup and a couple little ones ( kinda looked identical to what i planned on bringing that night)

after i setup my stuff i wondered on over and saw he had gills and shad in the bait bucket too.. i asked if he was cattin and he said yes. He asked if i used gills and what rig i used... i told him the carolina and he said ( i used to use that but now i use this )...

he started to babble on about " the weight is enough to get the bait to the bottem but small enough to let them struggle as they swims around...

theres a picture of how it looked at the bottem of the post

the 2 weights are #4 splitshot and a 3in space from the barell swivel and the other... the leader is about 14-16 in ( i dont put a specific length to my leaders just a roundabounce)
    the spacing is to hold it down to the bottem ( i think )
    im gona try er out this weekend and see if it helps me out a wittle:big_smile:

what do yall think?????
    i dont know if theres a name or something for a rig like this

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      7.2 KB
      Views:
  2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    From my understanding on what Ive been told is that the splitshot will weaken the line just like a knot would. I used to use split shot exclusivly I never even looked at barrels or no rolls I didnt even know what they were for LOL. Now I rarely use split shot and use almost exclusivly barrels and no rolls LOL on a carolina rig.

3. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Your rig is a Carolina...rigged with split shot rather than a slip sinker.

It's a rig I use for the lionshare of my fishing...in various forms.

A heavier slip sinker...usually a no roll bodes well in current.

Attach a small float near the bait...and it will keep your offering up off the bottom...out of the weeds, sticks, or rocks.

Rig a slip bobber and stops...and you get a strike indicator (The slip float) for a bottom orientated presentation.

Free lining weightless out behind the boat as you drift is a good way to lose a rod if its not properly fastened down...as it allows the baitfish to swim freely in a more natural approach. Just don't give it enough slack to reach the snags on the bottom.

Splitshot rigged above a barrel swivel is my choice when letting a bait walk downstream with the current. How much weight depends on the current velocity...and how much it takes to keep your bait in contact with the bottom...yet allows it to move downstream when you want it to.

It's a fine line when determining exactly how much is needed.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    You is right guys, the slip shots do weaken your line, thats why I dont use them for catfishing.

5. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I've personally never used splitshots for anything I can however tell you this bud. The setup you showed as said previously is a lightened up carolina..... no problem for me except keep this in mind. You do want your bait to struggle around like he said however you don't want your bait to do what it wants to do which is swim in the nearest rock hole or bush with your setup. You want to be near them not in them with a carolina rig. Always use enough wait to keep them where you put them. I personally use the sacrifice sysem almost exclusively. I can put it in the tree or rock pile if I want too and maybe I'll lose the setup but with a fish on chances are very likely I'm gonna break that line with my weights on it off and bring that fish out of there. Check it out by searching it here on catfish1.com.

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    anyone use those slip barrels that goes on the line and has snap hook on them? you fasten a weight to them? when fishing in rocks or where can or know i'm gonna get snagged up, i tie rubber band from weight to snap hook. then if weight gets caught up, the rubber band will break and my line usually doesn't.
    gary

7. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    I REALLY DONT KNOW IF THAT WOULD HOLD A GILL DOWN! MAYBE A SHAD, BUT FOR NICE FLATS, I WOULD USE THE 2-4OZ SLIP WEIGHTS. THE MAIN REASON YOU WANT THAT FISH TO STAY PUT, BUT WHEN THE CATTIE PICKS IT UP IT FEELS NO WEIGHT-

8. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    take the gill before you throw it out and cut off part of it's tail. just short of going into the flesh. it'll live then, will fight like crazy to swim and gives off the signals the cats cans hear.
    gary

9. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    he guy was using 40 lb braid and 65 lb leader so i dont think the weights ment much to him

ill use the normal carolina rig for now

im going to try the tail thing that gary said... sounds kinda neat:wink:

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    it works! i cut a little bit more just a little bit of flesh so it bleeds too. they still stay alive till they get eaten.

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    brandon, i've cut the tail to make bleed also. problem here on colorado river is the flatheads aren't as plentiful so sometimes takes a lot longer for bites. mine will usually die if the flesh is cut. he also has no current in lake havasu to help gill move around.
    but the blood scent can really work if you've got enough gills to use.
    gary

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well the type and length of your leader has more to do with how hard your bait struggles than the weight of the weight. if your leader line is of a stiffer material, just make it a little longer and you will get better action from it. just my .02.