The kitten that traveled 517 miles

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Cheryl, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Mom's kitten rode in the motor to MS yesterday. Funny thing was she said she was afraid it was in the car when my brother left town. Well he called today and confirmed it.

Last we heard it was meowing and still in the motor area. Sure hope it's ok.

Anyone else ever have this happen with that great of a distance?

I had a feral calico that used to get on the spare tire, under the bed of my pick up truck. I could never pet it, but when I went anywhere, it rode with me there and back. The first time I saw it I was at the Mall and noticed it by my front tire as I got closer to the truck. I tried calling it but it wouldn't let me get near it. So finally I drove home. Well there it was, it jumped off the tire and ran off.
    It took several trips to the mountains with me and to other towns near by but never 517 miles.

I fed her, but was never able to tame her. When I moved, I went back and tried to catch her to move her with me, but she wouldn't let me. By then, the truck was totaled and she didn't travel with me anymore.

Take care.
    Cheryl

2. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois

Aww...that's a sweet story. My girlfriend used to have a cat like that that would go everywhere, but one day it got stuck we couldn't get it out from under the car and well...it unfortunately didn't make it out.

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    aaahh cheryl.....reminds me of an event i experienced some 30+ years ago. my brother and i were mechanics at a ford dealership in oklahoma city. he recieved a ticket that described the problem as this: customer started car and noticed the alternator light on. ran the vehicle for a few minutes and noticed it started overheating. at that point customer called tow service and had it taken to our store.

ROFL (excuse me, but you had to see the expressions on faces seeing this) johnny, my brother, raised the hood after it was pushed into his stall.

now this was winter and it was cold. cats like to find warm places to sleep. apparently after the owner got home his cat crawled up on top of the engine. now when you start a carbureted car you push the pedal to the floor and that sets the choke and the fast idle. if its works properly,the engine starts at about 3 thousand rpm.

when johnny raised the hood there was fur and cat parts everywhere...YUK...the cat derailed all the belts and that accounted for the lack of alternator, water pump, and power steering operation.

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If I had that happen to me I'd just be sick! I was raised with cats and dogs,so they're pretty dogone special to me.-------------Pat Powell:smile2:

5. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Dad worked for the forestry service when I was a boy. He had a flatbed truck with a small bulldozer outfitted with a blade and a plow. The dozer had a pony (starting ) engine on it. A cat crawled into the engine and slept all night. Dad went to a fire, dropped the ramps and started the pony engine. The cat came flying out squalling and kicking. Nearly all the hair on it's tail was missing, and one ear looked like it had made the trip thru a meat tenderizer.

After plowing around the fire and containing it, he came back , loaded his dozer and came home. Yep that cat came crawling out from under the truck. The strange part was, it wasn't our cat.

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Nope! Never saw a cat go 517 miles that way.... but I did see a coyote disappear once across a cliff on an ACME rocket. That was purty funny. meep meep!:big_smile:

Hey- I thought if you wanted to get a cat to go far you needed a catapult!?!? I suppose with enough duct tape them kittens can go just about anywhere. :roll_eyes:

7. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    UPDATE

Well Mom didn't hear anything, so I called my brother while I was over there this afternoon and the kitten is AOK.

Not a scratch. My sister in law said that they were trapped in traffic next to a concrete wall and couldn't miss a large bucket in the road, so my brother braced himself well on the steering wheel and somehow the bucket ended up away from the car next to the wall. They never felt it at all. He told his wife, that the kitten was an angel sent from God to be their guardian angel. Mom laughed and said whoever heard of an animal being an angel? My sister in law said the Bible speaks of Angels unaware.

Anyway, the kitten is safe and sound. I told Mom she was just fussing about it the other day because it is constantly under her feet when she is outside. She said I know it, but it loves me and I want it back. It is a solid white male cat. My brother has a solid black manx and he wants them to have a litter of kittens, so he wants to bring the female manx up when he brings the kitten back. I told him to just keep them both and I would replace her kitten with a male black and white one that I have and we would all be happy. Then he could sell them in MS.

Mom said NO, I want my kitten back, so unless something happens between now and then, it will be back home this weekend. LOL.

What a kitten. She needs to name him, Nomad or something to do with traveling. What do y'all think?

Take care.
    Cheryl