The Kaw and Clinton Lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by here2learn, Jul 17, 2009.

1. here2learn

here2learn New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hi all, I'm new. This is my first post, and I don't know what I'm doing! I'm going out to Clinton Sunday morning. Anybody had any luck there lately? Or on the Kaw down from Lawrence? Any help would be awesome!

2. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Jus' keep poking around the site. Look through the Quick Links item by item,
    then start in browsing the Article Library. I'm gonna let some of the other
    Kansas brothers advise you on Clinton and the lower Kaw since I haven't
    fished there recently or very smartly for that matter of fact. One bit of
    info to hit you with: K-State completed a study of the catfish population
    of the Kaw and found the largest concentration of big flatheads to be in
    the pool just above Bowersock Dam near Lawrence. Now for K-State to
    say something positive about the home of the Jayhawks takes quite a
    bit of evidence to convince the researchers. Shall we say this crowding
    is pronounced, or "by far the highest concentration"? Have fun!

3. here2learn

here2learn New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the input sir! I actually live about 2 blocks from said dam, but I always fish the other side of it. Never really thought to fish above the dam. Just got some new gear today, so I will probably try that out tomorrow! Thanks again!

4. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Does anyone put their boat on the water there above the dam. I see there's a ramp upstream from I-70, you have to cross the tracks to get there. Do they close that park at night? Is that a bad part of town or is okay to leave your truck their overnight? Just curious, I've seen it on a map before and I've wondered about it. That stretch of the river looks to be deeper than the stretch below the dam... just on observation from satellite photos though. Next time I'm up north I might try it out.

5. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Steve and Steve. Alot of others on this Site have fished there (old post). I've never put my boat in at Eudora. I've fished alot in the Wakarusa west of Clinton. Haven't done much good in the Wakarusa west of Clinton lately. My concern about eating the fish at Eudora, http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Fishing/Are-My-Fish-Safe-To-Eat

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Steve.

7. liltroy

liltroy New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas,
  8. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    welcome to the boc steve

9. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Steve, the ramp above I-70 is a good ramp, they do lock the gates from 11:30 pm to 6:00 am. You won't be able to go downstream much as there is construction on the I-70 bridge..........the east bank from the ramp to the bridge has been rocked and is a nice deep run. With the current water conditions you will be able to run a boat(regular motor) to a little ways above KP&L.........there are are 2 or 3 diversion dams across from the power plant that have associated hole behind them. Skinny water from above the plant to the Lecompton bridge, not saying there isn't quality fishing spots in that stretch. Sorta makes me wonder how much shocking the KSU boys could have done since they ran a regular outboard, must have always hit that when the water was up.

Unfortunately, the park at the ramp is the only park I won't take my son to. It's a gay pick-up and sex area. It has gotten better since they put in a frisbee golf course and an off leash dog area.............the gay guys don't seem to like having the public around while they do their thing............must not be real proud of their actions. After the sun goes down it's a free for all, lots of traffic in the park. There not there to mess with fishermen, but have heard of some flat trailer tires there.

10. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the info Charlie. If I hit the water up there it will probably be with Kevin (Tmramrod). I guess with a name like that, it sounds like he'll fit right in so won't have to worry about any flat tires:smile2:. Haha, maybe he'll read this later. Anyway, he's got a 60/40 jet motor on a 1754 grizzly and usually can get through some fairly skinny stuff. Is it a pretty long stretch of skinny water that way or is it kind of like once you get past it it gets deeper again? It kind of looks alot like the Arkansas river once you get far enough upstream. Lots of sand, skinny water, and the river channel is kind of hard to find and isn't always in the places you'd think (outside bends, etc.). You'd really have to study some arial photos to remember where to go and even then the sand moves from year to year.

11. here2learn

here2learn New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks everybody for the warm welcome and all the help! Fished the west side of Clinton where the Wak feeds in from the bank this morning. We caught a mess of 2-3 in. shad in the cast net and used them to catch 3 2-5lb channels and of course some drum. I put some money down on a boat today, so hopefully the fishing from shore days are coming to a close! Now it's a whole new world of learning how to drive and care for a boat, and all the new fishing area that will open up! I'd really like to take the boat on the Kaw, but I would love any advice/expertise anyone is willing to share, being as I've never gone out before. PS. How do you get an avatar picture? I'm forum-challenged!

12. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Steve, I forgot to say welcome to the BOC. And congrats on the boat. It does open a whole lot of opportunities, you're going to enjoy it. I personally like fighting fish from a boat more than the bank. Seems like they go crazy when they get close to the boat and you get an extra run. Good luck with it.

13. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    what area are ya wantin help on ?? i can help ya with the Kaw in the Topeka area when the time comes.

14. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    If the water keeps going down you may need one of these to boat on the Kaw. Welcome to the BOC.

15. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    keeps goin down we can just walk it hole to hole

16. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Welcome to the BOC Steve...Good luck with your new boat...JJ might be able to help you on the river but dont ask for his advise on driving that new boat:smile2::smile2:

17. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    HAHA very funny Steve. This might sound even worse, but dont forget you were once part of Team RamRod. Hopefully some or all of you have seen the wonderful motion picture "Super Troopers" and you'll understand where the name comes from. Back when Steve and I played ball we hit 3-4 in the lineup and dubbed ourselves Team RamRod.

18. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    If you mean how do you get the fish get out there and fish often and carry a digital camera and fish with a partner to get a good fish.You won't catch any sittin at the computer. Now if you mean how do you post them when you come back from fishin first download your pictures to a system like kodak easy share click on transfer all pictures and put the current date in.go back to catfish1.com go to user cp at the top of the screen. go to edit avatar browse my pictures or kodak pictures and pull up that date pick the one you wanna use and open it up and when it's done click on save changes.I am one of Jerry's Kids when it comes to computers if I can do it anybody can.

19. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I am one of Jerry's Kids when it comes to computers if I can do it anybody can.
    Ha!Ha! Delbert......Not sure about that...You know what i been through on these d^&% things:smile2:

20. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i finally had to drive the boat that day we were throwin for shad at shawnee :angry::sad2: