The Kansas river or the Missouri for novice?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by nwbearcat50, Jul 3, 2007.

1. nwbearcat50

nwbearcat50 New Member

State:
    Maryville, Mo.
    I haven't fished either of the two rivers but I'm planning on fishing one of them soon. I would like to start with the one that would be the easiest to navigate, find bait, and find flatheads and blues. I have a 14ft. alum. boat with 25hp motor, and a thrownet. I would appreciate any suggestions on which river to begin with and where to put my boat in. Thanks.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The Kansas River gets pretty skinny once the flood waters recede. If you decide to go upriver very far, go slow and watch for signs of shallow water.

You wouldn't put me on the Kansas or Missouri in a 14 ft boat. But I'm a little more averse to risk than some folks I guess.

3. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    What about a 15 footer? :smile2:

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    He has been spotted in a 16 footer on the Missouri, and I don't think he was even scared!

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I was too drunk to be scared... :eek:oooh:

6. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    There seams to be a story here somewhere.

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    The Kaw is easier and less intimidating, but Marty isn't kidding, when it gets shallow, it gets real shallow real quick.

Don't know how much time you've spent on the MO, but if you haven't already, take the time to learn the navigation markers and buoys.

I fished it for 2 years in a 15 1/2 foot 1963 Elgin fiberglass boat with a 35 Merc before I bought my new boat, and never had any problems. As far as the size of the boat, doesn't matter if it's 14 or 24, barges still win...:smile2:

Good Luck!

Branden

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
  9. nwbearcat50

nwbearcat50 New Member

State:
    Maryville, Mo.
    Thanks a lot Brandon. I'm not new to fishing or boating, but I am new to larger rivers. I will take any info that is thrown my way. Thanks again buddy!

10. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
  11. mapper

mapper New Member

State:
    overland park, kansas
    I have been running a 16ft with a 25hp motor, it is just a space management issue and you will probably have to fish alone.

My wife has promised that I will be able to choose the next big purchase, which is when I will upgrade to a bigger boat.

I usually chose the Missouri river over the Kansas River when I go out.

I worked for Watkins from 85-91 in Maryville Mo. Are you still living up there? If so it is a long drive to the Missouri river.

Attached Files:

12. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    For you guys that fish the river alone (and especially those of you who are new to the river!), PLEASE wear a life jacket. If nothing else, it'll make it easier on the recovery team if they don't have to drag the bottom looking for your corpse...

13. shopteacher

shopteacher New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have fished the Missouri River out of a 16' jon with a 25hp Evinrude with no troubles, did this for 10 years. Then up graded to a 20' jon with a 115hp, thanks to my wife. One thing is true, think safety and watch for anything that doesn't look right. Wingdams, snags, logs and many other hazzards await the unsuspecting boater!

I always travel upstream from the boat ramp. Should you encounter any troubles with the motor, or boat, it is much easier to get back to the truck going downstream.

14. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    You'll be fine, just use a little common sense. right now the kaw is back to normal levels and it can get shallow quick, but if you go out during the day and go slow untill you learn Your way around You should Be fine. just respect the river, and the limits of your equipment and experence level.

on the missouri most of the wing dykes are still under water and can Be hazardous. When you get out of the channel pay attention on the wing dyke side of the river because it can get shallow quick as well. The Blues are starting to move pretty good, and the fishing is pretty good right now!

15. nwbearcat50

nwbearcat50 New Member

State:
    Maryville, Mo.
    Thanks for the input guys. Marty, believe me I am all about safety which is why I mentioned the type of boat I planned on using. I hoped to get some feedback on it and I did. Thanks. I do have a 19ft I/O ski boat but I wasn't sure that I wanted to run it on the Missouri because of the debris. I can't afford a new lower unit right now. However; I was in St. Joe last weekend and went down to the river and seen several nice ski boats with I/O running the river. So maybe I'll consider using the ski boat instead. One of our members offered to take me out on the Missouri to show me the ropes. This will give me a better understanding of what I'm getting into. I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks for the concern Marty, and to all who responded to my post.

16. nwbearcat50

nwbearcat50 New Member

State:
    Maryville, Mo.
    Yeah I still live in the 'Ville. You look familiar, I know I've seen you here before. Thanks for you imput buddy, and good luck on your upgrade.

17. nwbearcat50

nwbearcat50 New Member

State:
    Maryville, Mo.
    Thanks for the input Brad, I think I would feel more comfortable in a bigger boat on the MO, but I do plan on taking my little boat on the Kaw. I was looking at aerial photos of the Kaw through MapQuest and can see what everyone is talking about. There is a lot of shallow areas, but I think your right, if I am cautious and take time to learn the river I'll be fine.

18. Jason G

Jason G New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have done a lot of fishing in the MO and KS river on a 16ft jon boat with a 15 hp. I had no problems (Other then the slow travel times). Just take your time like Brad said and learn the river.