THe Iowa River at Tama

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by mudcat89, Aug 26, 2009.

1. mudcat89

mudcat89 New Member

State:
    IA
    I have been putting in at Tama and going north towards the indian settlement. I have been out there three whole nights and havent even caught a little flathead. The locals say i have to go down to Bell Plain to catch flatheads. This makes now sense! there are no river dams or abstructions on the iowa river between Bellplain and Tama. There should be flathead here. Has anyone had anyluck on this stretch of river. By the way the Channel cats are awsome on the stretch of river and i have never seen a more "text book" section of river. nice deep holes LOTS of structure??? im confused

2. slim1

slim1 New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I have been flathead fishing in that area, and we did real well a couple of times. First time we tried it we caught a 25 lb flatty and a couple of 8-10 lbers. All caught on live bluegill about 1ft under the water.
    We talked to a local the time we were there and he told us we would not catch any flathead due to the DNR releasing otters in that section. Obviously we proved him wrong.
    I would give it another shot, I know they are in there. Oh and I agree, that section of river is a catfish heaven.

3. mudcat89

mudcat89 New Member

State:
    IA
    THanks. Next time i will try a little shallower. Im hoping to spend a day up there for channel cats this week. i haven't had any trouble catching them in that stretch of river. I am mainly a rod and reel cat man but i have a friend who is good with ditty poles. We are ganna try that stretch in September.

4. tamacatfish

tamacatfish New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I live in tama an I'm on the river every weekend slaughter the cat this year i always go down got some nice flats this year an alot of channels :cool2: :001::0a17::006::0a23: