Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes you catch catfish even when you aren't trying. Last spring, I had a 25 pound blue inhale a small shiner while trying to catch bait...to go catfishing.

Yesterday, in the middle of a swarm of hybrids, this 25 pounder decided my mussel downlined off the side of the boat looked like breakfast. 7.5 foot ultralight pole, 6 pound test, tons of fun!

Before the day was over, we picked up 4 other cats, and watched several others being caught by unwary hybrid fishermen...including a 48 pound hawg.

Just goes to show...even if you aren't actively catfishing, not a bad idea to always bring a couple of cat rigs in the boat to see if there are any lurkers under the schools of feeding fish.
Boat Hat Fishing net Fisherman Fish

:rolleyes:

Registered
Justin from Utah
Wow just awesome, thanks the pic and story. And welcome to the USCA

Administrator
Chattanooga TN
Glad to have you back, great looking fish.

I did something similar a while back, only after a long fight the fish won. lol My line looked like it was melted from stripping the drag and reeling back in. Sure was fun but hated to loose it too. I was fishing for bait with crawlers.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad to have you back, great looking fish.

I did something similar a while back, only after a long fight the fish won. lol My line looked like it was melted from stripping the drag and reeling back in. Sure was fun but hated to loose it too. I was fishing for bait with crawlers.
Semi-funny coda to the story: after all that I checked the line for nicks and told my fishing partner we might want to retie the downline rig pretty soon. Put a mussel back on it, dropped it overboard...got a big hybrid takedown, and POP! The hook breaks off.

The cat probably would have escaped with one more good roll.

Administrator
Chattanooga TN
Semi-funny coda to the story: after all that I checked the line for nicks and told my fishing partner we might want to retie the downline rig pretty soon. Put a mussel back on it, dropped it overboard...got a big hybrid takedown, and POP! The hook breaks off.

The cat probably would have escaped with one more good roll.
I had to totally restring my reel, it was a mess, but it sure was fun while it lasted. I did get a good look at it before it popped my line. You know how they will give you a shower when they see the boat, that is when it popped.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts