The Importance Of Sharp Broadheads!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by bownero, Nov 27, 2008.

1. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Well for all the bowhunters out there this shouldn't be hard to figure out. I'm talking about the importance of sharp broadheads.

My story goes like this.
    I was hunting in Iowa with my cousin last weekend. At about 8:30 a.m. my cousin came to my treestand and told me he had shot a buck. Great! I said. Let's go find him! We high tailed it to his location of where the buck was shot. He told me he hit the buck good. Right behind the shoulder. hmmm! Well we searched the ground for any sign. Blood, hair and his arrow. No go! Didn't find any sign at all. We combed the area for 200-300 yds. with no evail. Couldn't believe it. We back tracked the area for at least an hour or more. No luck at all. Not sure if my cousin was lying about the shot or what. Finally I asked him if I could look at his extra arrows. the broadheads were very dull.:angry::confused2: He said he had them from last year, but I don't agree. I do believe he was practicing with the same heads he hunts with and never replaces or sharpens the blades. I do believe he had the same broadheads for at least 8 years, because when he purchased his bow I remember him getting the broadheads for his arrows at that time. And I do think he never bought any more since that time.

Anyhow, I jumped him for using dull broadheads and told him to trash them and buy some new ones. Hopefully he will agree to my suggestion and do it for the ethical hunting of animals. By the way the deer he supposively shot at was a 140 class 9 point. Chalk one up for the deer. I'm hoping he missed completely and the arrow is stuck in the ground never to be found again!!

Learn by your mistakes!! THE HARD WAY!!:wink:

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    One thing I would like to add is. I like to take a little cooking oil and rub it on the broadheads. Furrule and blades. This helps to retain rust from the air and enviroments. Sure oil attracts dust. Just wipe it off when hunting and reapply when stored. Keep blades from coming into contact with each other. I have a broadhead case to store them in. I never keep them in my quiver when stored inside. Test for sharpness. take a rubber band and stretch it.gently rub the blade across the band. it should cut on contact!!

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Sad story, He sounds like the kinda guy needs checkin on...

We had a guy in Elk camp one time, came draggin in, holding his rifle by the scope like a suitcase.. I offered him a cup of coffee, hoping maybe he'd set his rifle down, which he did,, while I was jabbering with him, my buddy went over and opened the bolt and saw that he came into our camp with a loaded rifle, also the rounds were fmj, not legal for hunting here.. anyhow, a little common sense, and ettiquette goes a long way...

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    You nailed it Greg!!:big_smile: Common sense:wink: is key when hunting. safety, ethical practices and good equipment (sharp broadheads) come together hand in hand for a smart hunt that can be rewarding!!

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I hate to here about sloppy hunters, I'm new to bow's and wont even consider a shot till next season when I'm sure of my accuracy. I will be using shuttle t-locks by the way.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    The rubber band test is something i swear by. If it pushes the band out of the way, it will push arteries out of the way also. I'd just as soon shoot field points as i had a dull broad head. Never understood why folks skimp on the most important factor of bowhunting,,,the head thats gonna do the killin.:confused2:

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I guess some people just don't care or even realize the importance of using a sharp broadhead. Sure you have keep them sharp or even replace the blades, but never use a dull broadhead while hunting. That's stupidity! That gives bowhunting a bad rap in my book. Be smart about it. Like you said John, don't skimp on the broadhead sharpness. I wouldn't go in the woods with a dull broadhead period. They have to be shaving sharp. New broadheads with sharp blades are in my arsenal every hunting season. Might cost more, but I owe it to the ethical way of hunting.

8. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, keep'm sharp... I always used Zwickey, or Bear Razorheads, I liked to sharpen them, ....
    I used to sharpen them like a scalpel, then run a broadhead file over them, gave the edge a very agressive cutting ability.. some of the wound channels were absolutely incredible.. Very quick bleeding..

You;ll usually get better penetration with a sharp one also, even if it's a,, less than perfect archery shot...(Texas heart shot),, sorry fellas' but, EVERYONE knows what that is,,:smile2:

Used to go out after Jackrabbits,(good field practice) and, would use any ol kind of broadhead I could get a deal on,,, and those nasty things would hardly kill one,,a blunt head would kill faster..!!! so, at that point, I started using sharpened broadheads on jacks, and ,,, welll, ,,,,keep'm sharp..