The Importance of "CPR"

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by john catfish young, Sep 4, 2008.

1. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Many years ago in a lake not too far away.....there was a massive population of Giant Stripers. The lake I'm talking about is Old Hickory Lake in Gallatin Tennessee. The place to be at ( nov-feb) was the Gallatin Steamplant.
    In the 1980's and early 90's, this place was a rare phenomenon. Where anybody with a good rod & reel and some warm clothes and a little patience, could sit and catch Giant Stripers weighing from 20-60 lbs...from the bank.
    I fished 7 days a week, anytime I wasn't working, you could find me on the bank here. I only lived about 10 miles from here, and I was usually the first one there and the last one to leave. I fished in temps down to -49 degrees, wind chill factor! Nothing deterred me from my passion of catching these monsters.
    On a typical fishing trip, I was heading out at 4:00 am. Upon arriving at said destination....first thing to do was catch a good skipjack about 10"-12" long. Hook him on the eagle claw 8/0 hook with a 8 oz. sinker and make a short cast only out about 10-15'. Secure the rod in the rocks and go after skipjack # 2. If the skips were running" BIG"...say 3 or 4 lbs........I would just cut off the head and fish with it. Then several back up baits were caught for cut-baits.
    In the 70's, 80's, 90's I seen 100's of big Stripers caught and CPR wasn't a big issue back then, so not very many of these massive fish were ever released. They were good eating and most people kept what they caught. At one time I had over 250 lbs of striper fillets in the freezer.
    Over time.....the fishing began to become a little tougher and larger fish were beginning to be a rare thing. There would still be a good one caught every now and then, but not like it was.
    Boats began to show up from all over the state and surrounding states and these fish were being hunted by sonar and graphs and 100's of people were the norm.
    By the late 90's this place was just about dead. After the 9/11 attacks on our nation, this place shutdown public access. No longer could you drive in and only if you had a boat, you could go part way up the channel, but not all the way in. My 12 year (reign of terror) on Stripers ended in 92 when I moved from Gallatin Tn.- To Cadiz Ky.
    In the 12 years I fished for these Monsters, I landed 45 Stripers over 25 lbs. My personal best was 45 lbs.....with one fish lost at the bank that could've weighed 60+lbs. But , thats a different adventure all together. Maybe I'll share that one later. I can only think back about the memories now and I still look at the pictures from time to time and remember how my blood use to boil to go after Giant Stripers on Old Hickory.
    I wish we had let some of the big ones go. It takes a long time to grow Big fish. This fishery went from a "10" to a "0" in just a couple of decades.
    I now have a new Giant fish that I hunt for and he is now being hunted by the thousands.... He is the Catfish....how will he be rated in another decade or two? Will there be any Big Catfish left in say 20 years? Not if we don't educate people on the importance of CPR. I now CPR just about everything I catch. I may keep a few channels or smaller Blues for the table, but gone are the days of 250 lbs of fillets in the freezer. Dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with keeping your catches. Just don't get greedy, its easy to do! I know because I was. I hope that I've managed to reach someone with this post because that was my intention! Its a sad thing to look back at what we had after it is gone...................Good fishing to all who venture out!!!

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thanks for the story.

Folks, just remember the golden rule of the outdoors, Only take what you need.

And, if you only take what you need for the next night's supper, You have a great excuse to go back out!:wink::big_smile:

John, Not to pick on you, but as you made the example, not many "need" 250 lbs of fish in the freezer.

Conservation folks, it's not a dirty word.

BTW That goes for bait fish too. just because you can catch 200 does not mean you need 200.

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I will agree on take what you need " BUT DON"T TELL ME WHAT I NEED "

4. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Lawrence....thanks for your imput. It is easy sometimes to get caught up in what I call " GREED". It was easy for me. I had lots of friends and we had a big fish fry every weekend. I supplied the fish. We had lots of fun and enjoyed lots of good food. But as I look back now many years later.... I realize what an impact we had on that fishery. I still keep fish and enjoy a good fish fry with the family. I just now realize the importance of Selective harvest. I dont intend to tell anyone not to keep fish.....they are delicious!!! Just wanted to share a story on what might happen if too many big ones are kept.:big_smile:

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It's hard to add much to John's great post above, that's a good example of what over harvest can do to a fishery.

A shining example of what selective harvest can accomplish is the amazing channel cat fishery on the Red River in Manitoba, where fishermen routinely catch many fish over 20lbs and often a few over 30 in a single outing. Manitoba prohibits harvest of catfish over 24 inches - most of us would probably agree that that is a very restrictive limit, but it's hard to deny the result.

6. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Your exactly right Harold. No one has that right to tell another man what he can or cannot keep. It does all boil down to take what you need. That has been a lesson that I learned the hard way. Thanks:big_smile:

7. CATFISHING1

CATFISHING1 New Member

State:
    MO.
    why does it seem like every other day someone has to bring up CPR? we all know what it stands for , and if they dont they will ask, why cant we just let people decide what they want to keep.people have been taking large fish for a hundred or more years now and apperantly there is still a crap load of big fish. if there wasnt YOU guys that fish for them couldnt tell us about the big one you caught last night. its getting old to come on here and see thread after thread of agruing about CPR. give it a rest:angry:

8. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I'm sorry but that was quite an ignorant post there my friend. No one was arguing about anything, rather stating the importance of selective harvest.

9. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "I will agree on take what you need " BUT DON"T TELL ME WHAT I NEED ""

I would never presume to do that. You(meaning anyone) might be dirt dog poor and trying to feed a family of twelve for all I know.

Wasn't all that many years ago I was young and poor with a wife and hungry children and not much went back in the water or got passed up if it walked in front of my gun.

Years on, things are much better and my "needs" are mostly for a gourmet supper of fish or game now and then.

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    well,that was a darn good post.problem is,you will not change most peoples minds.they don't care if a fish weighs one pound,let alone 50,60, or 70.
    its like telling a deer hunter he can't shoot a buck over 12 points,its not gonna happen.
    too many people who don't have enough respect for nothing more than themselves,imho

11. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    and actually,there are more people fishing for big cats than there was iin the past,makes a big difference.
    posts like this are not started to irritate people like YOU,but to help keep educating the importance of catch and release.
    but,like i said,it dont matter,people dont have respect for these fish,just themselves.

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Some folks take the CPR thing a little too far and use it as a way to "down" folks that disagree with their belief on how a fishery should be managed or don't do as they do. That's unfortunate, because often it does more harm than good, if any, and leaves people feeling attacked.

This thread was nothing like that, though, it's just pointing out that it is within our power to harm or help a fishery. Maybe we will never again see the 200lb+ blue cats that were reported back in the 1800's, but the way the population and catfishing in general are exploding we need to be aware of our potential to have a negative impact.

If someone is put down for not following somebody else's idea of selective harvest, that is wrong. But if someone is offended by the mere discussion of selective harvest, then that is their own problem, IMO

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    There "used" to be a crap load of big buffalo but now not so much,lots of passenger pigeons,zillions of antelope and there used to be a crap load of elk in states east of the Miss.also,everybody in those days thought there was a crap load of everything and they would never run out and we see what happened.As we add new members there is going to be an inevitable redo of some old subjects.That shopuldnt bother anyone.CPR is a management technique not a religion.Yes somebody WILL tell you what you can have,thats why management usually imposes limits.WHether you obey these laws is up to you.CPR is NOT the perfect answer and on some waters may be harmful,so it doenst have to be practiced all the time or everywhere.WHat we as sportsmen should do is familiarize ourselves about the conditions and requirements for our local waters and work towards what best for their management and sustainment.WHat is needed is the recognition of catfish as gamefish ,which will allow for management by the DNRs.On some waters removing all the catfish caught may actually benefit the population in that body of water.CPR is something we CAN do to support future trophy development in some cases.One thing for sure, we should never be irritated by anyone proposing that we do our best to preserve our resource.:big_smile:

14. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Well Mike it seems like the only one who wants to argue about this thread is "YOU". This thread was not intended to start an arguement. This thread didn't even tell you what you can keep and what you cant keep. This thread was just a personal Experience that I lived through and was a part of and wanted to share with the BOC. If you are tired of all the CPR threads ...then stay off of them brother and dont try to turn this into some kind of personal attack. YOU give it a rest!!!!!!!:angry:

15. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i eat fish:wink:
    just not the big ones:wink:
    and i have been doing it for 3 yrs even before the boc :wink:
    not because i think they dont taste good but because a big fish with another big fish equals big fish:wink:
    look at 2 tall people and if they have kids theres a good chance they will have a tall kid:cool2:

16. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Funny I didn't see anyone say we shouldn't keep any fish.
    I didn't see anyone say how many we should keep.
    Or even what size they should be.

I saw one person sharing how they realize now that what they'd done in the past was not healthy for the fish population. Which in my opinion was a good thing.

And I saw one person get all bent out of shape by it.
    Feeling a bit guilty perhaps?

We all have to live with ourselves. We have all made mistakes, wasted fish and animals that we did not need.
    Most of us try to learn from those mistakes so we don't repeat them.

Yes it is a personal thing, and as a result ultimately comes down to us and whatever God we believe in.

But being a little selective on what we harvest never killed anyone.

17. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky

Good post Bill...thanks for your response:big_smile:

18. CATFISHING1

CATFISHING1 New Member

State:
    MO.
    didnt post on here to start an arguement. so if you think i did IM SORRY I GOT YOU PANTIES ALL BALLED UP.

19. CATFISHING1

CATFISHING1 New Member

State:
    MO.
    i dont fish for the forty pounders. they taste totally diff than a small one so why even attemped to catch them? me i like the 4 to 5 pounders myself. and i follow all fish and game regs. that are out there.

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well i agree with mike on one aspect. these threads seem to get out of hand and maybe we should think about letting the water cool for just a lil while. but it was a good post as well john.:wink:

as for my thoughts. im opting out of cpr debates for a while. think ive racked up 1000 posts of just plain back and forth bickering. john and mike. i concider both of you friends and i take no sides in this debate discussion ect... :wink: