THE ILLUSIVE BULLHEADED CATFISH

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I know that we all run into these little bundles of joy from time to time, mostly while fishing for other catfish. My wonder is if a man wanted to catch some for bait what would your goto bait be, and how would you choose your spot? would you use a normal rig, or a smaller one? any thoughts?

i didnt see a section for these so i imagine this is the proper place for this post.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use liver or worms if I don't set my bait trap. 1/0 hook is big enough. If you are not fast on hooking them they will swallow the bait. That's why I use my perch trap in farm ponds.

3. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I need some info on the perch traps , bait etc..I have a pond close that is loaded with them but working six and seven days I had rather spend my time on the lake catching bigger fish than bait.

4. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i wouldn't mind hearing that myself, i have the plans for an oversized minnow trap, but haven't built it yet.

5. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    find the right pond and a perch pole and can of worms will get you all you want and then some.

Don't overlook the bullhead as not only can it be good for bait,if you catch some larger ones they are some fine eating too. The flesh is finer and really pretty tasty,I put them in a horse tank with fresh water for a couple days to help clean them up before cleaning them,smoked bullhead is a delicious treat,so is any smoked catfish! you can take a couple kids out and they will have a blast catching them and they won't have time to get bored if you find a good bullhead pond,we get some 1 to 1 1/2 lb bullhead pretty common. I only usually mess with them once or twice a year as they can be alot of work.

6. festus

festus New Member

Around here most folks call bullheads "mud cats" probably because they are numerous in the small, shallow cattle ponds with little oxygen content and no cover where most other fish can't survive, except for maybe green sunfish. In this case, you might not want to use worms or nightcrawlers because the sunnies would become pesky. I'd probably use small pieces of cut bait or liver, well probably any bait catfish would hit except for smaller portions.

There are a few yellow bullheads in a creek that runs through my backyard, but I've never used them for bait. As Dirtdobber said, they will swallow the hook if you're not careful, so you might want to use a longer shank hook, or some cheap thin wire hooks that you can cut easily with pliers and leave the barb in their gullet. Bullheads are very hardy and somehow survive in small bodies of water that get very low and almost dry up during drought. Seems like the black bullheads need fresher water, at least I've never caught one in stagnant water, but they are numerous in small creeks around here. I've eaten black bullheads before and they're pretty tasty. Ditto for yellow bullheads caught out of clean water.

7. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
  8. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I grew up catching bullheads. The river I fish most is full of them. We consistently catch them over 3 pounds there, and some over 5 pounds. Mostly all you need is worms, but in the wrong area you'll get a lot of bream. Crawfish and cutbait also work, but usually the smaller ones bite the worm first. Usually we catch the bigger ones, channels, and blues on the crawfish and cutbait.

9. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Liver would be my first choice then worms. In the Upper Potomac River where I fish it's hard to keep them off the hook if your fishing for the channels. I would use a 2/0 to 5/0 circle hook for them. Less chance of swallowing the hook with a circle. When fishing rivers look for muddy bottoms they tend to hang out there. The largest bullhead I have ever caught was a black bullhead about 1lb to 1.5lb. They dont get very big in the Upper Potomac River although they would make good Flathead bait I suppose.

10. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Piece of shrimp on a 1/0 circle. can get a couple dozen in a couple hours around my area. Did that this past spring when I wanted to get some to go for flatheads. worked good.

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
  12. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
  13. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    You have to have a star to get in the library now.

14. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well ill have to see what i can do about that.... thanks