The hunt for shad?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by skinner, Aug 11, 2007.

1. skinner

skinner New Member

State:
    missouri
    I was wondering if anyone could help me out? I'm going fishing tonite at Columbia bottoms and would love to fresh live shad,i have no boat so this makes it harder.I would like it if some of one wouldn't mind to much as to give the location of a place that i might find some of Shad.

Thanks for the help
    skinner

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Right now shad is next to impossible with a boat. I dont know how you will manage without one. We got shad in that pool where the observation deck/fishing platform is a couple of years ago. Best I can do for you. Good Luck.

3. skinner

skinner New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for your info catfish bob, I know right where your talking about we try there all the time but never any luck. Will try again and with any luck maybe the the rock wings are out of the water.Theres a few of them that you can catch some but only like 3 inches would love some 6+ inch shad but any will work thanks again.
    Skinner

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I got some yesterday evening around 4:00 pm in some backwaters.It probably isn't 5 ft deep.One throw got me about 20 however they were only 2-3 inches long.But hey thats better than none at all right. Try boat docks ,ramps,places that are lite up at night.they show up at those places to feed at night.So don't the cats.Good luck on your shad Quest and best of luck fishin.be sure to take plenty of water to drink hot as it is.

5. skinner

skinner New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for the tip and your right small ones are better then none. I will have plenty to drink and it wont be to bad i like to fish at night for that reason, and you usely wont find the little tikes out. Thanks again for tips
    Skinner

6. skinner

skinner New Member

State:
    missouri
    You was right we casted about three times the first we got a 8" shad then about 15 to 20, 2 to 3 inches shad. the last cast we about 5 and i think a skip jack about a foot long enuff bait to keep us out from 7:30 pm to 3am.
    would have like to caught more but they was tried so that put an end to the night. They started to hit hard about midnight if anyone won,t to know that was at columbia bottoms, out on( john waynes beach ) thats what we call it just a little ways past the fishing peir. Water was low and calm.
    thanks again for your help
    Skinner

7. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    skinner ,it is a long way to go but i usally go to concordia lake for my shad ,might think about taking one day and stocking up

8. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    hey skinner, I also put in at columbia bottoms. If you go up river about 1 1/2mile on your left side there will be a old waterfall I can make three or four casts and have more shad then i need (3 to 10in shad) hope this help you

sorry didnt read all your post.
    if you dont have a boat you can take bellafoutain rd. till it end.
    it will end at the old boys home, then you drive all the way to the back. you cant take your car down to the river, but there is a trail that will take you to the waterfall i was talking about good luck