The how to of grits pack

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by mcwrestler, Mar 7, 2008.

1. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I took time today to create a how to of grits pack. Note that I use my pack with a method feeder, actual paylakers use a paylake rig and a pickup or puff instead of hair rigged baits. To each his own, I use a euro laker style and adapt to what is needed.

Step 1:
    Get the ingredients
    36oz Instant Grits
    18oz Quick Grits
    2 cans cream corn
    Flavoring of choice (I used Juicy Tutti Fruity for this one, PM for actual brand or site for more flavors.)
    Step 2:
    Dry mix the grits together. A modest amount of Kosher coarse salt is sometimes added though I cannot tell a difference. Use the amount that fits into the palm of your hand.
    Step 3:
    Add Flavor, I added 4 capfuls, different brands have different strengths.

I will continues the rest throughout the thread

Attached Files:

2. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Step 4:
    Mix flavor equally.
    Step 5 (IMPORTANT)
    Let it sit around 15 minutes, if you don't it will not break.
    Step 6
    Pack it tightly around method feeder, gripper lead or paylake rig (With paylake rig the pack surrounds the pick up)
    Step 7
    Insert hook if hair rigged into pack on the feeder and toss it out (This is where the long rods and 3lb test curves help but normal rods can do it as well, just do it easy)
    Step 8
    Throw out and wait for your runs, fish in the wild really take to this and this is best in march in moderate temps, as the weather changes some feel the need to change up baits.

In the next post I will show the breakup of the bait in the water so you can see what it should do.

Attached Files:

3. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    First pic is of it before I drop it in.
    Second is after about 2 minutes
    Third is around 4-6, I didn't time it.

Attached Files:

4. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    And here is the overall setup I use. First pic is of my method feeder, second is the pod and third is the results. Any questions just ask, for flavors or where I get my rigs PM. I really hope this spreads some light on the whole pack thing and I hope it improves your sessions as much as it has mine. All credit on what I know goes to a man named Tom Brooks, I can't steal his thunder.

Attached Files:

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Looks to me like you is a carper. LOL! Ain't gone in quite some time. This may motivate me. THANX!

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thanks for sharing the recipe. reps to ya.:wink:

7. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Good recipe. I will definatly have to try this.

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I always walk up to the water and carp my hands twice, but nothing happens. That Ronco owes me big time. :eek:oooh:

9. bigcarp

bigcarp New Member

State:
    england
    excellent recipe unfortnately grits are like hens teeth at the moment but I will keep trying :big_smile:

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I find it amusing that anyone would target carp ,only to cpr a lowly carp. If I ever catch carp they never go back in,i usually make cutbait or fertilizer our of em ,:smile2:

11. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    And some of us find it interesting that people would cast a lure over and over to fool a 2lb bass that couldn't hold a candle to a carp, or an 8lb trophy that is rare compared to a large carp. I consider the carp as any other fish. No reason to turn a great fighter into fertilizer in my opinion, it would be the same as turning a large cat into fertilizer. They are both fish, they both fight and they are both here to stay. To each his own though, as long as the fish is put to use, the one thing that pisses me off is just throwing them on the bank. For some kids catching a carp could turn them onto fishing forever. A great fighter is a great fighter and I hope that one day length protections are put onto carp just like catfish in some states. Lady Bird Lake in Texas is paving the way.

12. rageroid

rageroid New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the recipe mcwrestler. I'm currently messing around with a pack recipe and have found some success with it. Yesterday I've might have breached something over 20 pounds (unfortunately I don't carry a digital scale with me). BTW, have you ever used a spring feeder? I'm contemplating of getting one.

Also thanks for defending the carp. I've caught salmon, trout, steelhead, and bass, but nothing compares to the way a carp fights. No give in them whatsever. Love them runs!

13. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have always used the method feeder I have posted for my fishing. I have seen the spring and cage feeders but never messed with them. The feeder I have runs about $1.05 a piece for a 2.2oz feeder. I feel with the ones I use there is less of a chance for me to place my hook into the feeder itself rendering it useless for the duration it is in the water. Here is a good way to guess the weight of your fish when you catch it and for me it has usually been within a pound of my scale.

length*girth*girth divided by 800

It is a good quick way to judge a fishes weight, just keep a soft tape around like they use for clothing to check the girth. For example

A carp is 28in long, and has a girth of 24 and its widest
    28*24*24=16128

16128/800= 20.16lbs

14. rageroid

rageroid New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for giving me the heads up on the spring feeders. I'll checkout the those those method feeders. Thanks again.

15. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Where can I find method feeders at that price? The place where i buy them from run the price of them at $2.99 each.

16. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I will PM you the links to the feeders.

17. rageroid

rageroid New Member

State:
    California
    Carp King,

I just found some feeders at the Resistance Tackle website that run around $.90. However, the heaviest they go is an ounce.

18. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Just cheaked them out. They will be heavy enough for my 1 3/4 pound test curve rod with out pack bait. The pack bait should give me enough weight to cast out with my 2 3/4 pond test rods to. Its bascially a win win situation for me.

19. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    McWrestler thanks for posting the info. I never got to use the cages you suggested to me a few months back. I have a few and might get some more. I didn't see that you packed your feeder. I am waiting for the weather to warm up a bit and can't wait to try new things. I can see that you have been studying up and wish you luck. Nice rod pod you have there. I can see you are going all out. I can't wait try my Baitrunners i think i might have a better chance. As i remember getting a couple hits and drops last year using my regular spinners. Guess they "sensed" the resistance and dropped the bait.

20. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The feeder is inside the pack bait in the picture, I just got the order mixed up. The baitrunners do make a big difference. If I had to pick the main things that have improved my bite and hook up ratio it isn't the alarms or pod, it is the hair rig and the baitrunner. I can't imagine going without my baitrunner now. What baitrunners did you get, if you haven't ordered yet look at the ones for around $40 at the site I sent you earlier on, they are easy on the wallet and great on the bank, I may eventually upgrade to some big pit reels but I can't see myself parting with my current baitrunners. This summer I have a list of things I intend to add to my arsenal, with hopes I can mess around in a few little tournaments next spring and hopefully catch some good ones this summer.