The horse is dead

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Shutupandfish, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Shutupandfish

Shutupandfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Every day i go to the BOC looking to see how everyone is faring on the river or lakes, and maybe try to help some people out with advice or try to get some advice on techniques. But it seems as though everyone is a little to preoccupied with there opinions on catch and release (CPR). I say its time to stop beating the horse, its dead, its been dead for a long time. THere are people who are set in there ways and may not see the big picture, and thats there right. There is nothing anyone can say to change there opinions I know that im not the only one tired of reading the threads and some how that thread gets twisted into a CPR debate. Lets just leave it alone. :angry:

2. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That's like trying to dictate what old-timers at a bait shop should be talking about. It's a topic that people are interested in discussing. Usually you can spot those conversations by reading the subject line and avoid the thread if it rankles you, I guess.

What I'm *not* a big fan of is people that can't discuss it while still respecting the differing views of others. Now *that* gets old.

3. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I compleatlty agree Rich,
    What really gets under my skin is not the good conversation about CPR, Trot Linning , Limb Lining,but when you have thoses guys that turn it into a personal attack on there brother Fishermen, ive said it on here already but I will say it again, We are brothers in this sport,We love it,, if you want a good fight go the the peta sites and let them have it...:eek:oooh:
    Puddle

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It is getting to the point I am not even wanting to check threads. It seems like every thread has at least one complaint about CPR or some tongue in cheek comment about it no matter what the thread is about. It is worse than political junkies.

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    its far from dead and really its just getting started!!! its about education of the future generations not trying to change an old dogs way of life! if i am hungry for fish i am keeping fish and i dont care who likes it but i wont keep them just to cause i caught them i respect the views of both sides and at most times i am somwere in the middle ground untill i see a picture of a dead 100# fish.. there is no need for that!!

6. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thats the way it works around here.:wink:

7. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

People are missing the big picture here.
    It always causes some heat among the BOC brothers.
    The loss in tail gating, or showing off fish, but overall its becoming more limited as education levels increase.
    Large catfish caught commercially through legal means or illegal means really have little demand in the food market for resell.
    commercial fishermen are smart, and know that large cats lay more eggs, and intern provied more fish in the long run.

The money currently is in the resell of trophy catfish to Pay Lakes.
    Now not all pay Lakes, take large cats from public waters.
    In the end it is all about money.
    And people on the BOC need to see the truth.

Can can read about it here.
    http://www.catfishrescue.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2009
  8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There can not be even one BOC member left at this point who doesn't get the argument. At this point it is more about shoving it down people's throats.

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    there are new members every day though.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Flathead catfish can adapt in any kind of river, lake, or impoundment situation. They breed prolifically and last I checked, they are not on any state's endangered species list. if any of you think the flatheads in your area are going extinct, you care not trying hard enough to catch them.:cool2:

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I look at alternative methods of fishing like I look at guns. It's the idiots that use them that make the entire thing look bad to those who don't use them. It's not the bush hooks, trotlines, or jugs that can ruin a fishery, it's the people that irresponsibly use them. CPR is just something that a random guy came up with with a little arm chair biology (especially that 10lb thing:confused2:). Does releasing every catfish caught make for a better fishery?? Probably not. Does keeping everything you catch and taking lots of trophy cats out make for a better fishery? Certainly not. There is a happy medium in there.

I know guys that are catch and release bush hookers that do it legally, there is no reason why a guy can't go and fish how HE or SHE sees fit if it's legal and they are able to keep what they catch if it's legal. What I think is funny is a lot of the guys that are CPR Nazis fish a lot of tournaments and there's a lot of those fish that may swim off but a good percentage of those fish end up dying from stress in a livewell or being handled too much.

What really makes me upset is when somebody does their best to release a fish there are some "expletives" that still have something negative to say about how this or that wasn't done right to keep the fish healthy but they're the same ones that will stick 100+lbs of fish in a 100gal livewell for 8+hours. Just look at all the criticism that Radish took for his big fish, he RELEASED the damn thing and still caught crap for it.....but I've said all this before and it never seems to make any difference:sad2: Just wish that some people would realize that being a jerk about it and making it a personal thing more times than not makes people want to do it just out of spite...it's only human nature. Well, I'll stop my novel now but hope this helps somebody, anybody.

12. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    But we don't have to read those threads if they upset so much. If the point of a topic is still not getting through to everyone, it's not about shoving it down their throats, it's about getting out to those who are still learning.

Some people, at this point, would never change their ways...just out of spite. They would kill a trophy, just because someone else wants them to release it. Those people can never be convinced otherwise, and it's a waste of time and effort to even try.

Taking a picture to show proof and have documented evidence and rememberance of a great catch is apparently too hard for some. Then again, I guess it's possible that #60 Flats taste better than #5ers.

13. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That's a great analogy, Wes.

Oh, and the 10# thing is sort of a rule of thumb. For some people it's more like 15-20#, others it might be 5-6#. Bottom line is there is most certainly a reason for it. It's not whether you buy into the facts or not, it's more a matter if you think those facts are that big a deal. Older fish have higher levels of various toxins in their tissues. That's not really even debatable.

14. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    a 3lb channel makes a tasty meal once maybe twice a year... But thats pushing it for me.. Im a CPR guy but I choose to be..

Put I agree.. To many personal attacks come from some of the silliest debates on this board..

Trust me I Know!! LOL I get in my fair share..LOL

I understand the importance of releasing monster cats.. but there is also an importance to Bass, crappie, bluegill ect...

If you catch and keep thats fine.. But dont be greedy or do it out of spite. And those that do CPR remember to handle them cats properly.. Im seeing alot of gill handlers ( Holding good size cats by their gills ) posting pics here lately and thats dangerous for the fish..

Just use your head be safe and write about your stories

15. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew

Good percentage??? And you talk about arm chair biology?? Now thats FUNNY!! Read post #14, Shane makes some good points. Properly handling fish goes a long way. IMO the mortality rate is close to nil in the tournaments I fish. Of course there are exceptions and always will be. But as a proud CPR nazi I'll say this...if someone has a fish die during a tournament then they aren't trying hard enough. It's good that people CPR their fish, it def helps in the long run. But if you don't do it properlly, the chances of survival aren't the best.

16. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Hey it aint that bad,we could go back to the J hooks vs circle hook debate!:roll_eyes::smile2::crazy:.

17. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ant worth the time. Ya know its gona hit a point. We ant green carp fisherman . Last I looked the catfish ant endanged and ant gona be any time soon.

18. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    LONG LIVE CPR! LOL! hOWS THAT FOR STIRRIN THE POT. lol!

19. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: I SECOND THAT

20. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Use your ignore list and you wont see the folks that get you heated.

You will be amazed at how boring making a thread or post is when nobody responds.