The horse is dead

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Shutupandfish, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Shutupandfish

Shutupandfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Every day i go to the BOC looking to see how everyone is faring on the river or lakes, and maybe try to help some people out with advice or try to get some advice on techniques. But it seems as though everyone is a little to preoccupied with there opinions on catch and release (CPR). I say its time to stop beating the horse, its dead, its been dead for a long time. THere are people who are set in there ways and may not see the big picture, and thats there right. There is nothing anyone can say to change there opinions I know that im not the only one tired of reading the threads and some how the thread that thread gets twisted into a CPR debate. Lets just leave it alone. Thats my opionion take it how ever you want.

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Aint this a wonderful country. You have a right to post your opinion right there with all the folks that disagree with you. How many countries would allow that.

3. Shutupandfish

Shutupandfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am a believer in CPR.:cool2:

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I think you'll find just about every Gateway Member practices some form of CPR or Selective harvest Josh. CPR and the likes has never really been a heated issue within Gateway, and this thread would probably have been most appropriate in other areas of the board, but your opinion is most certainly appreciated.

We must realize, most of our viewpoints are 'backyard specific' such that our views of the 'state of the fisheries' are more/less limited to our own experiences. Whats best here on the Sippi, isnt necessarily good for the folks out on Truman or LOA. I try to rely on fisheries biologist reports to influence my opinion.

Heres Gateways stance: Promote, Preserve, Perpetuate.

Gateway does not take a hard stance on CPR, although most of our membership believes in preservation of the species, and most of us tend to release our largest fish, and if a good fish fry is in the works, we try and limit our creels to 10 pounds or under. Its not a hard, fast, rule, but tends to be the popular one.

As well, Gateway does not take a hard stance on fishing methods. We have folks that run trotlines for leisure, run jugs for leisure, and obviously all of us that use rod and reel for leisure. They are legal methods, and no one under my watch will be incriminated for practicing there state given rights.

Your conservation minded approach is appreciated. I think your view probably is the same as just about all of ours. Dont take what you cant eat. Practice good, ethical conservation, and let the big ones go. Our stance on letting the Monsters go is very simple in theory really...... The fisheries biologist have indicated the largest fish are females, and spawn the most fry in a single batch. The big fish dont eat very good, and we like to think of the smile on the next anglers face that catches that monster fish. Obviously thats not possible when you take the fish for consumption.

I happen to know you practice CPR, and let the big ones go also and your efforts are appreciated. I dont think you'll find many in Gateway that bash this opinion down folks throat unmercifully, but its just a viewpoint is all.

Thanks for your post.

5. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Josh, welcome to the gateway section. First of all the cpr talk will never stop on here. It is something that people feel very passionate about. The biggest reason is that this place takes on new members every day. Most people who start the sport of big water and big fish catfishing take what they catch and the bigger the better. CPR is something that can be learned and taught to the new people of the sport. It can even be instilled into people who have been killing big fish all of their lives. Sure there are some that will never change but ask anyone on here who has caught a big fish with an old hook hole in his jaw and they will tell you it works. Those of us that practice CPR firmly believe in what we are doing and are going to try and help others see the light for the future of the sport.

Sure it is easier to just sit back and watch the boards and not cause any waves. But personally I think it is a B.S. move to not speak up for what you believe in. I definitely think that sometimes the way CPR gets brought up could be with a lighter hand but at least the people doing it are giving their honest opinion. It's the internet my man, you don't necessarily have to ask for an opinion when you are guaranteed to get one.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    And the name of this country is the BOC. Don't ever forget that Our Great Catfish Commando is the Emperor! lol What the boss says goes, no matter what........... :eek:oooh::crazy::cool2::wink:

7. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    ryan is correct, it will never stop on here josh. you have been a member of the boc for just a couple months and your tierd of hearing it already. imagine how tierd some of the guys who have been on here for years feel. some have been fighting the good fight over and over again just to be called babies or worse for wanting to save the future of these fish and our sport.
    bottom line is that you have certain freedoms on here, and the most powerful of which is to simply not read things that you dont want to. its only kicking a dead horse if you want it to be. perhaps when missouri passes some regulation to help manage trophy fish populations better we will all be able to stop the kicking but until then i say kick away.

8. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Well I truly believe in the C part and the R part but the P is subject to being missed since some times I will forget to take the camera.....

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Frankly, I think folks who are fishing LEGALLY have right to do it in peace. I grew tired of this debate long ago. You'll not convince anyone by jumping up and down, proclaiming yourself as righteous, and ramming it down someone's throat.

I practice CPR because I have that right. I also allows others to practice the sport however they see fit. I'd say it is their business, not mine. To continue with these wars only fuels hatred.

10. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    By just mentioning it you brought the dead horse back to life. I have been on boc for years and there are certain subjects that get brought up over and over and over. My favorite is to bring up the boating deaths. I figure if it saves one life"even my own" It is good. The same goes with saving the big fish for a lot of people. If you don't want to a certain subject, do what I do, move on to a subject that interest you.

11. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i agree, however its not just the pro cpr guys who make such a big deal about it. there are some of the guys who keep only large fish that take it to personally sometimes, and make it out to sound like we are trying to take away thier freedoms to keep any fish.
    such as any debate about anything, there are extremists on both sides who mask those in the middle, and make each side out to be crazy for what they wanna do.
    you absolutely cannot force anyone to be for or against something like this. trying to only hurts which ever cause you believe in. at the end of the day people will do what they want, keep what they want, and release what they want.
    being on the side of cpr i can only hope the repeated re-introduction of this debate will get people who dont cpr at least thinking harder about it, and the people who do cpr to relize that you will allways catch more flys with sugar than with vinegar.

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    That's exactly right Darryl.
    I think I have a solution that will fix multiple issues issues.

1. Dig a BIG hole.
    2. Round up all the non-CPR anglers, juggers, limb liners, trot liners, and commercial guys.
    3. Put them all in the BIG hole.

and....this is my favorite bit.....

4. Bury them in Asian Carp:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

...W

13. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    We all talk the talk but I seen "Russ" walk the walk. About a month ago , Willie, Russ and I were pulling back to columbia bottoms about 2 in the morning. There were 2 guys there at the ramp and they had caught 2 fish one was about 35 the other 40 or so. One guy wanted to let them go the other guy wanted to eat them. anyway we talked them into eating one and letting the other one go. Well the big one was about dead.This is where "fish docter Russ" comes in. He threw it in his "aqua lung tank" and gets out a bottle of hospital oxygen tank and brings this fish back to life. I think he was ready to do mouth to mouth but he saved it.

14. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    he actually had bottled oxygen? thats pretty awesome.

15. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    LMAO...funny but true... That fish put his nose right up on that hose and sucked air... Russ burped the fish and after about 15min that same fish took off like a bat outta hell.... all you CPR guys Rep DR. RUSS for that one ... A job well done

DR. RUSS..... Do i see another name change coming...:smile2:
    just kidding.... good job Russ

16. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    We all have a chance to "WALK THE WALK" The conservation meeting on September 18th! Be there and speak up for what you believe in!

17. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    Yep, I think he said some relative needs it so he gets extra bottles filled for the fish. If your on his boat and you had some breathing problem. He probaly would let you die. I can hear him now as you take your last breath. "sorry it's for the fish":big_smile:

18. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    Dr Russ sounds good to me. He is such a nice guy that I cannot see a pejorative, disparaging or derogatory name for him.

19. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Ole man Bob has an oxygen tank on his boat too. As does Danny (non BOC member) and a few other folks I know.

Frankly, anyone that takes the hook out of the fish's mouth and puts the fish back into the water walks the walk.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  20. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    I have been thinking about putting one on the Okie boat in case I catch something bigger than 60lb. I will need it..for sure...:wink: :wink: