the great debate!

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Monsterkat11, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    so it's debated, i have a 16 foot flat bottom boat, and i would like to take it out the ohio river. alot of people are telling me it's dangerous, and i shouldn't risk it

so how many of you flatbottom owners take your boats out the raging rivers and are comfortable?

my family in iowa take 16 foot flat bottoms on the mississippi all the time, so i'm somewhat used to it.

just asking if you other flatbottom owners have any input!

by the way, my flat bottom is really wide

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have seen many jon boats on the river with no problems.

However. I would be very cautious on windy days, because the river can be like glass one minute and 2 foot waves the next.

I would say it is ok, just don't get too adventurous

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Korey I was on the Ohio river in Mellons big v bottom...We almost went under from wakes from other boats.

Be carefull man, heck I think the gmr is a better fishery anyway.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great advice Jack, it is something to be concerned about, but I do see them out there sometimes.

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    why endanger your life when there is no need to ,Flat bottom's are not a rough water boat they take the whole blunt force of the waves and I would think 2 ft waves would be very dangerous

6. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    only thing that sucks about the GMR is that there is limited boat ramps, plus i wanna get into some ohio river blues!

i think i may be alright this time of year, not as many nice day cruisers out there, and the blues are turning on, i'll give it a shot but i'm going to stay close to the ramp

i appreciate the info guys, but i'm still waiting on the replies from the 16 foot flatbottom owners that take em out on the mississippi or even the ohio, i've seem em post it, i know they're out there!

7. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Treat it like driving, if you see something coming with a big wake move out of its way. Be careful and have a good day on the water.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Korey, I have a 17ft. jon. I fished the James River last spring with it for blues, and it has seen many trips to the Ohio River. However, the key word is safety! These guys are talking the truth. I have seen when the Ohio is safe enough for a 12 ft jon. And have seen it when it wasn't safe hardly for any boat besides a barge! You have to use your head and consider weather,including wind gusts, and even other traffic. Be safe, and if it isn't looking safe, there is always another day to go! goodluck... rollo

9. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I'm not familiar with the Ohio River, but here's my take. I have a 14'x48" flatbottom jon. I have been on the chesapeake bay in my little boat with no problems. I have found with small boats on big waters, that common sense is king, followed by patience. Be careful. Check the weather reports, and stay home if its gonna be crummy weather. The patience part comes in a couple of different ways. First, you hafta wait for that nice day where the wind isn't blowing too bad. Second, if you do get caught out there in a wind, go slow. Dont be in a hurry to get home, cause thats when you're going to put the bow under water. Go slow, keep the bow up in the air, and you'll be fine getting back home. Last time I got caught out, i'd go into the trough of a wave and lose sight of land. I didn't plane the boat out. I stuck the bow way up in the air to keep it from going under/thru a wave. It also makes for a smoother ride because you aren't going as fast and smacking the bow down. The nice thing about flat bottom boats is that they float like corks. They bob up and down instead of rocking a whole lot like a deep V. Use your head, you'll be fine. The thing i've seen with the big cruising boats and yahts (around here anyways), they throw rolling waves usually, that wave might be several feet tall, but sit tight, and you just go up and down with them. I've been hit by a few of these 3 foot waves, even broadside (i was drift fishing), and the flatbottom just rises and falls with the wave.

10. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    took the boat out today, the weather was nice, somewhat windy but not too bad. boat traffic was little to none. just a few boats went by, and a few barges. stayed out of the main channel, and i did very well.

thanks for all the input guys!

11. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    until this summer i fished out of a 1654 lowe on the ohio river and have had very few problems.. just keep the bow up when the river is roughand take is slow and you will be fine!

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    VERY, VERY GOOD advice! Reps out to ya for stating what I was too lazy to type.

13. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was right there with him, it was a smooth day, and if it's smooth for me it's cake for most, cause I'm a bank man, through and through, but having the boat decked in front and with it as wide as it is, I was completely comfortable, and able to throw the cast net, I felt like I was on the bank, in a rocking chair of course:smile2:

14. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    What size motor co yor have on the boat that would make a difference. Thamks Sam Davis

15. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    actually last time i got kinda ballsy and pulled it off with a 9.5, that did great, most times i will be using a 25 horse