the great debate....

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by thecatman, Aug 26, 2009.

driftmaster monster or other

1. driftmaster rod holders

2. monster rod holders

3. other or homemade please state which brand etc

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    which do you prefer monsters or driftmasters??? i have used both once and liked both what would yall suggest for still fishing with some drifting

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Their both good holders.. but if i had the choice i'd probably go with monster.:wink:

3. Kittycatcher

Kittycatcher New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Te
    I have Homemade and they were cheap, about $4.00 each. That is with 1/2 dia rod stock. :cool2: :cool2:

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Can't go wrong with Monster. They have some good deals.

5. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I am sticking with my 1/2 duo's....Driftmaster!!!:cool2:

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The masters of drifting, a fleet of them:

Bill in SC

Attached Files:

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    From the reviews I've read, I voted for the next rrod holders that will go on my boat. MONSTERS. I like the fact that they will handle the large handle rods. Also the new double action series puts two rod holders in one. Great idea.

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I follow you, Mickey, and I'm sure the Monsters are great holders. I am somewhat confused as to why folks think Driftmasters will only accommodate small rod butts. The Pro Duos I have will take any size less than the barrel of a baseball bat. The DPDs are also double action holders, tried and true. When someone asks me, I direct them to BOTH companies to make their decision from, but at $17 for the 1/2 inch Driftmaster Pro Duos, I don't see how that can be topped, unless, of course, that the Monster Double Action holders are... $16.99. If any BOC MEMBERS need me to provide to them the link where they can get the 1/2 inch Driftmaster Pro Duos for $17, just PM me.

Bill in SC

9. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use driftmaster myself, but that is not to take anything away from Monster because I have not tried them yet. Maybe I will get lucky and win one in the Star member giveaway and I can post a review!

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    No sir, I'd never say anything derogatory about the Monsters. If the Roundhill uses 'em, they gotta be the heat! I was just wondering what kind of rods folks use that WON'T fit in a Driftmaster holder.

Bill in SC

11. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    sounds like its a complete tossup from the votes and the statements thinkin i may have to buy a few of each lol

12. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    from what i can tell frm the pics online (i dont own either or have tried either) i would go with monster....:crazy::big_smile::angry::confused2::sad2::cool2::smile2::wink::tounge_out::embarassed::eek:oooh::roll_eyes:

13. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    driftmasters just because that is what i have and and never had monster rod holders or any other.

14. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Brandon you know what I think, whatever works. I have 6 driftmasters that I need to make a rack for the back of my boat. The monsters look good also, I saw them in person for the first time on Cliffs boat. I wouldn't overlook Tite-Loks either. They are all good, and it is all in how you mount them on how they hold up.

15. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Ive got a hand full of both but I like the 1/2 regular driftmasters over the dual ones, and my home made ones..:wink: These are my ones on the back and I use the driftmasters around the sides,,:cool2:
    Puddle

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  16. espressokev

espressokev New Member

State:
    Iowa
    cabelas quick-draws...

17. catfishDK

catfishDK New Member

State:
    cincinnati OH
    I recently got 4 monster holders 2 with the deluxe rotating base and i LOVE them!! Now that he has the duos out i HAVE to get a few more!! And its not that the driftmasters dont hold a large rod butt its that the monster has a wider opening for a easier release

18. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    I like my Tite-Lok's they have way more vertical adjustment compared to the others that have only one or two positions. Also the Tite-Lok's are bigger which accept my large rod handles.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Just curious, why would you prefer the single position holder to a dual position holder. The dual holder gives you the angle that your singles appear to have, PLUS they have the 0 degree "drop down" option when fishin' in close to structure. Heck, I wish there was a THREE position holder. One of these days, if I live long enough, I may just design a holder myself. Sho ain't no rocket science needed in a rod holder design.

Bill in SC

20. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well the monster rod holder will almost accommodate the barrell of a baseball bat. they are huge! ive used both and the monsters are just so much easier to pull a rod out of. And with the size gap between the butt of your rod and the reel also takes a lot of stress off of the part of the rod that is pinned between the two. Im not sure if its ever happened but most rods are made of fiberglass and will break and anyone who knows anything about science would know that with the smaller gap between the two (like the driftmaster) that puts more stress in that section of the rod, making it more prone to grow weak crack and break. with the bigger gap of the monster the stress of a fish on the other end is more distributed throughout the rod giving it less stress and a lesser chance of going weak.
    And