The Great Bait Debate Part II For Flathead Catfish!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jun 2, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well folks, its been awhile since some talk about the great bait for flathead catfish. I have read a many threads on specific baits that are tell true good baits for them. My feeling has always been as long as it is good and lively, thats all that matters! Or a good piece of fresh cutbait can be the ticket as well. I have caught a many big fish on smaller baits, even seen a 60 plus pound flathead caught on a 2 or 3 inch skinny chub! I have caught them on a variety of livebaits as well. My favorites have always been the more wild acting ones such as warmouths, green sunfish, smallmouths, bullheads, chubs, suckers etc. I think baitfish of these sorts struggle and fight more to get away because of their nature, which usually causing more dissturbance and vibration to draw the added attention to the cats. Bluegills have been fine, but I have found pond raised bluegills have to be the larger than hand size usually to keeo up the attention. Medium sized gills are fine, but often tire and lay down over a period of time! You want baits that want to fight for hours to get away and are durable to withstand such in my opinion. I have always been a believer in" its not what bait you are using, but how lively it is" or " how fresh it is if you are using cuts for flatheads"! I truely believe this. Flatheads do move around in search of food, but I think they would rather ambush it by staying tucked away in some sort of structure or in an area where the current brings bait past them. I have caught a many fish over the years on a variety of baits, mostly live ones... And recently read an In fisherman about a flathead trying to eat a turtle that failed causing its death. I rarely keep fish to eat do to my CPR nature, however, try to keep a good catch of smaller fish once or twice a year to eat and never over due my welcome, often feeling bad keeping small fish.. All big fish are let go! I was able to keep some fish this past weekend due to an successful outing on the Ohio River and was amazed what I saw when I cut into the belly sack of a 5 or 6 pounder to see what it had been eating for the data end of it! It goes to show that these fish are a predator and will eat anything nearly that is fresh cut, or good and lively acting in it's territory! Is one bait better than the other? I don't think so. I like baits that are lively and indigenous likesaid! Does bait size matter? Maybe some on the livebait presentation to draw attention farther away, but a bait even small presented close enough can be as good as a big bait! So what should I fish? A variety of baits in my opinion small to large, and present them around the entire fishing zone and if there is a flathead around he might find one! Be versatile! And by the way, here is a picture of what was cut from the belly of this flathead yesterday:wink:.....goodluck and good fishing!!!! rollo

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    this water snake was 32 inches in length... this fish also had a 4 inch gill in its belly and was bloated to the point of being noticeable on the outside before being cut open... rollo

Attached Files:

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if you wonder why im holding this dead snake with the knife!!! I'm scared to death of snakes, even dead ones... When I cut the belly sack this thing fell out on top of my boot!!! I freaked out!!!!!! Sorry no pictures of that one!! LOL> my buddy Nick seen it though and I was shaking like a little girl!!!:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::smile2:...rollo

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i 100%agree with you on this one if it moves and is native its the best bait you can use size i also use different sizes depending on the bite so thank you rollo and good luck and remember snakes are not so bad

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Flippen wuss its a water snake.:smile2:

6. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Rollo if that was me I would have to buy a new pair of boots, socks , pant, underware if you know what i mean. I would have *%$#&( then past out and probally hit my head and knocked myself out.:smile2:

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Have caught flatheads on mostly live baits. Bluegills,goldfish,creek chubs,suckers,bullheads But there have been times when it just was working for me until I switched to cut baits such as mackeral,bluegill heads,skipjacks and shad. From my experience, I believe all baits have their place and time.

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I prefer the more lively baits as well. I have fished with much fresh cutbait and have never caught a Flathead on cut bait. I have noticed that cutbait catches tons of channels and Blues, And I know that other fishermen catch big Flatheads on cutbaits....but it hasn't worked for me. However within the last 30 days or so I have caught 2 personal best Flatheads on live baits. On 4/22/08 I landed a 43.1 lb Flathead and on 5/27/08 landed a new PB of 67.2 lb Flathead. I will stick with what works for me.......Big Live Bluegills!!!! We also CPR all big catfish and rarely keep any for the table. Good Luck to all who venture out in pusuit of the elusive Flathead:big_smile:

9. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    Big suckers have always been my fav bait. they always seem to be alive the longest for me and i have caught alot of fish on them. i live next to a few creeks that are just loaded with monster size Chubs,suckers,minnows. people always ask me "where do you buy your chubs at":big_smile:

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Good points on the small bait.. Early spring/cooler water, when they are just coming out of winter, I believe smaller baits would be their preference. I don't think they are at full strength and would rather have a smaller fish or cut bait....
    On the other end of the specturm, I'm not sure there is a blue gill that is "too big"... My last two trips I ended up catching some pretty ambitious channel cats on blue gills that were AT LEAST twice the width and height of their mouths. Considering the size difference in channel and flathead mouths, doubt they would hesitate in snatching up big lively bait, not counting for water temp..

11. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Jason ........ Don't EVER try night fishing in Florida .... they're much bigger and their bite is much worse ..... :wink: Garry-

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When I first started flathead fishing many years ago I only used live bait, for 15 years I only used live bait.

About 8 years ago I got my first castnet, and have never went back to live bait agin.

For some reason I can catch many more flatheads on fresh cut shad than anything else.

I have had fishing buddies use live bait right beside me and I out fished them everytime on cut bait.

5 years ago when I caught my personal best flat of 50-lbs, I was fishing live gills and live suckers in a hole, no hits for 3hrs.

I reeled in one bait and replaced it with cut shad, and caught the 50 within 5 minutes.

I also like the convience of just using cut bait, no worring about keeping bait alive, just a small cooler and ice is all I need.

13. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You should've loaned your knife to your buddy to get a pick holding up your soiled shorts!:smile2::wink:

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Rollo????? You killed a flathead????? My god man what have you done!:roll_eyes:

15. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    How do you keep the channel cats off your cut shad long enough to get a flatty? .. I always end up with nothing but channels or stripers when I use cut shad.....

16. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Use super big pieces,keeps the smaller fish off from it

17. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    You would think, but I can't even keep them off my live hand size blue gills.. Caught one last nite I bet my gill was 30-40% the size of the channel cat...

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I catch very few channel cats on cut shad, probably 10 flats for every channel cat.

19. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i use a slip bobber rig most of the time,as i fish lakes.i like a lively bait also.bluegill,warmouth and yellow bellies are my best baits.then suckers and chubs,then the rest.i been fishing with cut shad for ages,and never have caught a flat on it.

20. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    ok yeah....if i cut a fish open and find a snake ill break something trying to get away......but itll be ok the dr will give me feel good meds so i can fish with wgatever is broken:eek:oooh: