the great bait debait

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Steve Douglas, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    fall fishing is hot rite now ,water is cooled down i find that fish are taking shad better than skippies at this time of year i find an abundance of shad and as the water get colder some shad start to die off ,good opprutunity for all catfish to feed .just wondering what other catfisherman are having good results on shad , skippies or other. thanks for your input.

2. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    well really it depends on what river im fishing. the one east of where i live (verdigris) is gonna be shad hands down. but the one west (arkansas) of heres gonna be either cut carp or buffalo. that rivers very polluted and due to that theres an insane amount of carp.. and you seem to catch much bigger fish using huge chunks of them.. honestly found that out on accident when i ran out of bait and there was a dead carp on the bank we used..

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Our last trip out we caught well over 100 lbs. of catfish. We caught them on skips and shad with close to 90% of them coming on the skips. We always bring both if at all possible to find out what they want and how they want it presented that particular day. Then we give them a heavy dose of the combination of the day.

4. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Last saturday Myself and Tbull headed to the ohio river got the poles in the water by 630. we was using cut frozen shad. It didn't seem like they cared what part of it we would throw out we started getting low on shad and couldn't get anything in the cast net although they were going nuts all around us. so we used every little piece we could including the little tails we cut off. And they worked too. lol they must have been hungry for shad that day. We went through about 30 6-8 in shad and probly 10 or so 3-4 inch ones. Ended up catching 29 fish (blues, 1 flat, channels and a striped bass and a big drum) now this week haven't been able to get a one hopefully we can get them saturday when we head out in the morning.

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Gotta agree with ProstreetS10, I think we could have thrown an aluminum can down there and caught a fish it was crazy. Shad was definatley on the menu, but then again we didnt have anything else to try. Gonna try some skips this time and we will se how it goes.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    shad is a good cut for me as well, but i have had really good fall-winter bites for flatheads using creekchubs or other small slender livebaits. 3-4 inch baits!! rollo

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Steve, Ross and I caught fish Tuesday on everything, shad, skips, bluegill(live), small buffalo about six inches long hooked live. The bite is great. Vern

8. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Looking at your avatar it looks like you don't have any issues catching big blues.:cool2: My bait of choice when fishing cold weather blues is Bluegill heads.

J

9. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have heard so many guys saying that a few threadfin or a whole or cut gizzard shad is the only way to go, but me I have tried shad many times and have ended up with nothing everytime. I can have three poles rigged with shad and three with skip and the skips will get hit after hit and the shad will just sit there, so I just stopped trying shad.

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I prefer fresh bluegil heads...still quivering and bleeding. Haven't been able to catch many lately though. Skippies are biting good.

11. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    other, i likecut buff and carp. seems like the colder the weather the better that works for me.

12. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Thanks for the info. Never caught a blue, but plan on tryin this winter.

Dru and Trout

13. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    #1.Fresh gizzard shad fillets
    #2. Frozen skipjack

I use #2 when I can't chatch #1.

14. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Been out a couple of times this past on the Arkansas river down by paris. I caught some decent blues on fresh shad, but it was all i had to use. the fish was not gorging yet, there bellies were not bulging out, shad was pretty much everywhere. I prefer skips, it seems the bigger fish i catch like them the best. but i will have shad, skips and punch for the season opener saturday:tounge_out:

15. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    what ever u use fresh is the only way to go fresh fresh fresh i dont even bother freezing bait i even tried vacuum packing them fresh bait will allways be the best .u just have to spend some time looking for them and in the colder water they go deeper.

16. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I like xtra large wild shiners this time of year.

My wife and I last year went out during a three day warming trend right after thanksgiving and bank fished a drawn down strip pit with lots of woody cover in it. (Exposed wood cover retains heat...and warms the immediate surrounding water a few degrees)

I rigged us up with 2 oz bank sinkers (Carolina rigged)...and casted us all the way across the 40-50 yard pit...right up against the standing timber and log jams on the other side.

We ended up with 3 channel over 10 lb...a 7 lb largemouth...a 5 lb largemouth...and a 2 1/2 lb crappie.

A nice late November bonus...right before the winter returned the next day.