The Grand

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by steinomyte, May 18, 2009.

1. steinomyte

steinomyte New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Hey Everyone after a long absent I'm back and back in Michigan for good. I've watching the water level on the Grand get lower and lower. If it drops about a foot or two I'm going to trying fishing for some cats this weekend.

2. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    what part of the grand are you looking at?

smokey

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    As of today, 5/19, the guage height at Grand Rapids is just under 7.5 feet. That's about 3-4 feet above typical summer levels, but about 6-7 feet below what it's been for a good part of the last several weeks. With a dry week ahead of us, Memorial Day weekend should give pretty good fishing levels. I just wish I knew the water temperature.

4. steinomyte

steinomyte New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I'm probably it hitting it around the Ionia fair grounds. I got a few other spots that we go to but I'm thinking it still might be to greasy to get back to them.

5. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I used to fish between Grand Ledge and Onondaga. never fished Catfish untill I moved to Tennessee.
    smokey

6. steinomyte

steinomyte New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I picture I have now on my profile is of a cat I pulled out of the grand last summer in a spot of land that my father-in-law farms. They had a few big ones on the line last summer around the fairgrounds in Ionia but couldnt land them. So I might try them spots this weekend if the water is low enough.

7. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    The Grand is down another six inches since Tuesday, and with no rain sight it should be down another six to twelve inches by Sunday.

8. steinomyte

steinomyte New Member

State:
    Michigan
    thats what i'm looking for. I got my 2 hawg seekers ready and waiting to some action.

9. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    There's a really deep hole right across from the boat launch around that bend that goes toward the M66 bridge, at low river levels its about 10' deep with usually decent amounts of wood cover, and its easy to reach even from shore if you can handle the mosquitoes. Pulled a few nice ones there last summer. Gunna get the boat back out there ASAP, and scope out some new log jams. Best of luck, be sure to post how you did! :wink:

10. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Sunday evening the water temp in the Grand above GR was 68 degrees.
    Didn't hook any cats, but early on I caught an 18" smallmouth on a crawler while I was trying for bait.
    Had to give up by 9:00 because of the gale force winds.

11. Northstar

Northstar New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Hay Steinomyte What do you mean 2 hawg seekers. The rod limit is now 3 hawg seekers.

12. Northstar

Northstar New Member

State:
    Michigan
    As for the fishing on the Grand. It has been a bit slow. I have had the whole place to myself. I have not seen anyone after cats out yet.

13. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Nice lookin' boat, Hugh, is that a Wooldridge? Alumaweld?
    Don't get too specific here, but are you fishing the Grand above or below Grand Rapids?
    See you on the water sometime...
    Tony

14. steinomyte

steinomyte New Member

State:
    Michigan
    all I need is 2 hawg seekers. We usually have 4-8 poles set up a long the shoreline for about a 100 yards.

15. Northstar

Northstar New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Tony, it's a Alumaweld

16. Northstar

Northstar New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Not sure if you avid catmen are into tourny fishing. If you are there is one every Saturday night. Shags bait shop in GR puts it on. You can fish anywhere you want. Here's your chance to go fishing and come home with some money in your pocket. It starts at 6:00 pm and weigh in is at noon on Sunday.

17. Northstar

Northstar New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Soooo, what you guys using for bait out there? Worms, Dip, minnows, bullhead, hotdogs, bluegills, crayfish, chubs, smelt or grand pappys secret cat bait. Do you use certain baits at different times of the year?

18. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Got the Mercury Sportjet?

That tournament is a "best five fish stringer" tourney. Seems like that would kill a lot of fish...

19. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    I'd rather have lively bluegills than anything, but I like to give 'em some variety and mix in suckers, shiners, & cut bait too.

20. steinomyte

steinomyte New Member

State:
    Michigan
    strictly bluegills or minnows