The Grand at Grand Ledge

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by uapipefitter, Jun 4, 2008.

1. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Had a great night last night. Could barley fish with two poles.First fish was 14 1/2 inches on frozen shrimp covered in garlic powder(my concotion) five minutes later a 17 incher on dead creek chub, 15 minutes later a 24 incher on a chub. I fished for 4 hours and had none stop action with the baitclicker going off probably twenty times. I lost at least 8 fish on the way in. Went thru 15 live creek chubs caught in a nearby creek. I also caught a twenty five inch carp,and twelev inch painter turtle(lol). All in all it was an awsome night. I think a problem I had was getting used to circle hooks. I'm using 5/0 circles.I still want to jerk everytime the pole takes off when I should let them set themselves.

2. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Trent,
    with circle hooks, it's a good idea to go up a size or two from what you might normally use. I use 8/0 pretty much all the time, and I almost never lose a fish. Pretty much always hook up in the corner of the mouth, just like they're supposed to.
    8/0 is not too big for one or two pound fish, either.
    "Set" the hook with a slow, steady, sideways sweep of the rod. Also helps to use a longer rod (at least 7'6", but 9' is better) with a fairly flexible tip.
    Good luck,
    Tony

3. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I am surprised that 8/0 hooks are small enough for 1-2 lbs fish, thanks for the advice. I followed the recommendation of the Catfish Insider last year with dip-worms for fish in that range and use a 1/0 circle hook, but I miss a lot of the fish that bite. I probably need to up the size of the hook, I'll try a 4/0 with that presentation the next time. As for cut bait, I'll go with 8/0. I looked in the Catfish Connection catalog and found that hook sizes for different brands are about like women's clothing sizes, they vary. What brand of circle hook do you recommend in 8/0, and can you find them locally in the Grand Rapids area, or do you mail order them from someplace?

4. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Man pipefitter sounds like you had a blast. I am really looking forward to times like that. I fish the Manistee River backwater and have not had much success. I have been reading posts and checking the library and have gotten a lot of information about how to fish and bait. Your shrimp with garlic powder "will" be tried.
    Did you see Michigan Outdoors last week? They had a segment on catin the Grand River below Grand Rapids and they caught some nice cats. I believe they are going to have another segment on tonights show. They were fishing moving water below log jams using cut bait. My fishing is in barely moving water about two miles from a dam so I look for deep holes during the day and really have no idea where to go at night but I will learn.
    Thanks for the tip
    eyeguy

5. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    "Release em to the grease!"

6. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Hello pipefitter and thank you for offering your experience and help. As you probably read I am new to catfishing but have a strong desire to learn and catch these great eating fish. I haven't learned how to use all of the features of this site but I am trying. Is there a way to on line chat? If yes then perhaps there is a time when you and I could talk. I am not a novice to fishing but until recently I have not fished for cats. Steelhead, salmon, trout, panfish, walleyes have occupied most of my fishing in the past. I fish below Tippy Dam for trout and salmon and the pressure is intense. A friend gave me some catfish filetts and I was in. Almost nobody fishes catfish so there is no pressure and that is a nice change. Its just nice to fish in the quiet and to be able to hook onto such a hard fighting and delicious fish. ANY help would be appreciated.
    eyeguy

7. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I like Gamakatsu, which I buy in boxes of 50 from that very catalog & website.
    They are wicked sharp, strong enough for the biggest cats, yet fine enough so that they don't kill your bait unless you hook 'e m through some vital organ. I find the best place to hook bullheads & bluegills is through the meat between the dorsal fin & the tail.

8. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Thanks Tony for the insight on the hooks. It's you water wise vetreans that give us guys the knowledge to do battle with some of the largest fish in our state and have a fighting chance.

9. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I see that you sent me a message but for some reason I could not retrieve it, man I hate learning new systems. It seems everytime you do something new you have to go back to school. There must be a way to set it up so I can retrieve incoming messages, guess I will have to read some instructions if I can find them:confused2:

eyeguy